MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 14-08-19, 17:21

Default MVPA York PA Show report

Well, as some will know I attended the show last week, I had booked my summer holidays to coincide with it. I have been drawn into becoming an MVPA member by Les Fisher and partly by Terry Witiuk.

I have always wanted to know more about the MVPA and the whole gig of judging so I volunteered as a judge and was assigned an assistant's role but the vehicles didn't show up so I was assigned to another team and vehicle, more on that later.

To partake of something you have to get involved, some say I am too loud in my involvement at times, maybe that is a cultural thing. I will say, in my defence, that engaging with people has led to many connections around the world over a number of hobbies, all which spread me a bit thin at times but I would like to continue to enjoy this rich life rather than wilt away like a flower.

The photos attached are my perspective of the show and don't include some things because they just don't do anything for me. I will say that the banquet was worth attending, supporting other Canadians who attended and being visible when the MC asked those from countries outside the US to stand our whole table of Canucks stood and made an impression.

Both Dave Mountenay and John Drygala from the Ontario Regiment Museum were on hand to receive the Littlefield award of excellence and rightly so. Again, another group I am part of and help in a tiny way to support, well done to the Museum for all it has grown into and will become in the future.

Brock Joliffe was up twice for awards, one for miles completed but I didnt get to hear how that was calculated.

As reported here on another thread Mike Cecil was given an award, and I can confirm he is an avowed Luddite and refuses to become part of the texting generation, but he was very happy for me to hook him up with others at the event, yes you guessed it, by me texting people, too funny.

Meeting people from afar who I have corresponded with or heard of was the big part of the show outside the vehicles and parts.

I was delighted to spend one afternoon with Reg Hodgson and Al Nickolson, both from Alberta. Meeting and chatting with Mike Cecil from the US (and Australia) was a delight.

The picture of Reg with his glasses on at the table is not him asleep, but partaking of modern technology and texting and emailing from his phone, showing you youngsters how to do it!

I did meet many Americans and fellow enthusiasts who may come back to Canada. Jerry Streber who is a retired USAF warrant officer and has a UN marked Canadian Jeep will likely come north, nice gent.

So other familiar faces at the show were Mel Gable and Terry Witiuk and Ed Storey and Brian Asbury and Kevin Morgan and family and for those who once attended Coe Hill, you will recall Art Swain from New Jersey in the vending area.

My involvement was also to display my KLR bike and yes I agree I need to work on the display and how I present what it is.

Modern vehicles are my interest for sure. The sand coloured Polaris RZR or razor owned by Paul Bellargeron was interesting, but meeting Paul and his grandson Silvio Iacone was a delight, they have the only ex CF Lynx in the US which I first saw at Tobyhanna in the late 90s. Hearing first hand how he acquired it was interesting and dispelled some urban myths.

The folks from Gov Planet were there with their Growler, the narrow USMC green airportable vehicle. There were 500 made and about 150 have been sold off with prices slowly coming down they say. A bit of a parts orphan for sure in the future.

Matthew Dunn had his M37 based (the exact M number escapes me) airfield rapid intervention crash truck which won an award, fully kitted out. It was, as you will recognise by his rear, judged by a team that included Al Nickolsen.

I returned home with some great trinkets and memories and connections and a hefty VISA bill and empty pockets, but heck, you cant take it with you.

Will I go again, yes, but not for a few years, I think these shows are too far away for us Canadians for the most part and it is only when they come within reasonable striking range that I can go for sure.

Great time, thanks to all who extended the hand of friendship.
Attached Thumbnails
mvpa 02.jpg   mvpa 05.jpg   mvpa 03.jpg   mvpa 04.jpg   mvpa 08.jpg  

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 14-08-19, 17:26

And some more pictures. The Last picture of the green modern looking vehicle was not on display for the show nor part of the show. It was tucked away in one of the buildings and is a Lenco Bearcat and is owned and operated by the York County emergency response team. I don't think i was supposed to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
mvpa 07.jpg   mvpa 06.jpg   mvpa 09.jpg   mvpa 10.jpg   mvpa 11.jpg  

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 14-08-19, 17:26

And if anyone can turn those pictures around please do, beyond me.

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 14-08-19, 21:20

Default MVPA Convention, York

Robin, great photographs and is was nice to meet up and have a quick chat during what was a very busy three days.

ED
Old 15-08-19, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
And if anyone can turn those pictures around please do, beyond me.
... seems to plague most of us . . .
Attached Images