MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 23-11-22, 05:33

Default M38A1CDN2 Left Rear Wheel Splash Panel

Hi Guys,
Can anyone answer if the M38A1CDN2’s had splash panels installed in the left rear wheelwells? I have heard that some M38A1’s had them installed in the factory. My 1967 CDN2 does not have one, and lm not sure it ever had one. Were these a field install for the CDN2 & 3’s? Also how are they installed, as l see that Midwestmil is selling them? Thanks
Richard Mix Jr.
M38A1CDN2. 1967

M-416 1967
6P-6625
Old 23-11-22, 18:25
carrier mech

I'm working on the museum's Cdn2 right now, and it has the splash shield. The shield is held in place by two bolts on the top wheelwell, one bolt near the floor on the inside, and a bolt running through an L shaped bracket off the upper reflector bolt.

After nearly 20 years of service, the bolts would often break and the plate would then get discarded. We weren't so religious about using antisieze back then as we (I) are today.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02024.jpg   DSC02027.jpg  
Old 23-11-22, 19:50

Thanks for the information Rob. Im happy to be corrected. My CDN2 did not have one, and the wires were quite damaged from the lack of protection.
Old 23-11-22, 21:53
carrier mech

I can remember removing them back in the day to get at the wires. Those little quarter inch bolts would regularly break. Lose one, not so bad. But lose both bottom ones and the shield starts getting to be a hazard.

I just took the walk down to the far end of the shop to check the M38A1CDN3 (ceremonial model so very few miles on this one). It also has the shield.

Looks like you will have something to ask Santa for this Christmas Wayne.
Old 27-11-22, 06:32

Hi Rob,
My splash shield arrived today, from Midwestmil. I will give it a spray coat of truck bedliner before trying to install it in my Cdn2. You say that there are 2 bolts on top of the wheelwell, 1 on the inside under the rear seat, and 1 L-bracket that is attached using a bolt holding on the side body reflector.
The plate from Midwestmil has 1 additional nut plate on it, it is up higher on the inside above the rear benchseat cushion. Was this one not used?
For what ever the reason, my jeep does not have the 2 holes on the top or the inside of the wheelwell. So l need to be careful not to make any mistakes drilling holes. Thanks
Richard Mix Jr.
CFR 6707832
Old 27-11-22, 07:09
carrier mech

Yes, there are two on the inside, two on top, and the one on the outside from the angle behind the reflector. I spotted the second one on the inside after I posted.

The only reasons I can think of why you wouldn't have those holes is if the fender has been patched. There were patch kits for the Jeeps as part of their life-extensions. We never saw those kits in Manitoba since the rust here wasn't so bad, but I did see lots of the patches on the Jeeps that were sent to Manitoba from Ontario.
Old 27-11-22, 07:38

Rob,
Two things, 1. can you post a picture that shows the entire top of the wheelwell? Your picture looks like there might be footman loops mounted on the top of the wheelwell. I do not have any loops installed on top of my wheelwells, left or right sides. If, as you say, my wheelwell panels might have been replaced to extend its service life, the loops might also have been left off.
2, for the splash panel, would it be possible to get the measurement from the center of bolt on top of wheelwell, back to the rear body? I want to make sure of the proper placement for the panel. Thanks
Richard Mix Jr
1967 M38A1CDN2
CFR 6707832
Old 27-11-22, 15:15
carrier mech

I can get you a measurement on Monday when I am back at the shop. But if you look at the photo, you can see that the two elongated holes for the plate are just forward of the bow storage bracket.

There are footman loops on the top of the fender well. I believe they are for stowing the side-curtains when not in use. Note there are also the plugs over more holes. I believe those are for the radio tray if it is installed on the left fender.

What was the history of your M38A1? As I mentioned, we got a bunch of Jeeps from Petawawa as a fleet rationalization program that were full of these patches.
Old 27-11-22, 17:01

Hi Rob,
My jeep started out at CFB Wainwright till 23 June 1981, then VMO’d to Petawawa till 9 June 1982, it left for CFB London till 30 March 1984, then
CFB Valcartier until disposal 4 August 1987…sold 2 September 1987..$1184.00
Both side wheelwell tops are flat and have no rivets or extra holes in them. The also do not have any loops installed. The wheelwells have clean rounded edges and looks to be one complete piece.
Overall the jeep body is in great shape with no dents or rust. Except for the right front 1/4 panel, which at sometime had a quality major rebuild which is only visible on a close inspection. I have had to replace the original Cdn engine, block cracked inside distributor tube and sent antifreeze to oil pan. New engine also set up with the original 3 belt system.
Richard
Old 27-11-22, 17:43
carrier mech

Are you saying that the top of the fenderwells is just flat plate sheet metal? That they do not have the ribs stamped into them? Definitely a sign of either patches or bodywork.

As I recall, the re-life was closer to 1980 or so, and Alberta vehicles generally did not suffer from much rust. And by 84, the end was in sight for the M38A1 fleet as the Iltis was starting production. The patches likely did remain in the system until stock was exhausted or the Jeeps were disposed of and stock was disposed of, so the patches may have been installed as needed after the re-life. I can't remember if the patch kits had the proper stamping on them. Brian Asbury used to have components of the patch kits so he might know better. As well, the guys out easy would also be more likely to have seen them.
Old 27-11-22, 20:44

Rob,
The tops of both fenderwells are completely flat with no ribs, and are identical. The edges are all rounded and look to be factory stamped as a complete wheelwell piece. There is 1 hole on the top rear that allows water to drain down. On both fenderwells, there are no dents. All of the edges were welded to the main body tub and tub floor. The welds do not look like an amateur did it, but by someone who knew how to weld did it.
Richard
Old 27-11-22, 23:00
carrier mech

Sounds like yours had new wheel-wells either during or post service. As to the quality of the welds, mig welding is very forgiving and easy to do. It is not hard to replicate the factory welds, as long as the old metal is cleaned up first.
Old 28-11-22, 17:06
carrier mech

The holes are 3.5" from the back panel. They are all the elongated type holes.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02029.jpg   DSC02030.jpg  
Old 29-11-22, 01:52

Hi Rob,
Thank you very much for information and excellent information. Now l can start on my upgrading project. I never knew that my wheelwell panels were replaced.
Thanks again!!
Richard Mix Jr
Old 29-11-22, 02:34
carrier mech

There are some nice stamped replacement panels for the rear wheelwells on the market these days. But if you are happy with your Jeep now, and keep it away from the eyes of the rivet counters, then why bother?
https://www.kaiserwillys.com/wheel-w...-71-cj-5-m38a1