MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 29-03-23, 17:41

Default Uncut no4 barrel

Hi I am looking for a uncut worn out barrel to Dewar a no4 for one of my vehicles
Thanks
Larry
Old 30-03-23, 01:39
Terry Warner

Default Barrels

The current movement is to return sporterized No.4s to original configuration with the full length wood and hardware. You are going to be competing with highly motivated collectors and shooters. A restorable No.4 will start over $500. They're not cheap and disposable anymore.

If you plan to display a firearm, even a deactivated one, be prepared to secure it just like real steel, with locks that are correct for the RCMP's current firearms laws. A proper deactivation also requires welding the bolt and magazine into the receiver, putting a hardened steel rod into the chamber and welding the barrel to the receiver.

If just a visual reference is your objective, I suggest your alternative is to use genuine No.4 wood with a buttplate, something to hold the front and back together but to be concealed with an issue canvas action cover, and representative pieces on the front end. If you are challenged about displaying a firearm, you unsnap the closures and show whoever that there is not receiver present and therefore not legally a firearm. Hell! Paint it bright pink for laughs.

I can help you with the metal parts from my father's spare parts bins. Every gunsmith will have 3 old buttstocks and some cutdown foreends.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 30-03-23, 05:19
carrier mech

Larry
You are too late by about 5 days. I just sold 4 shot-out barrels on the weekend.

Terry: Deactivated firearms do not have to be locked up. They are exempt from storage and transportation regulations in Canada. The current guideline includes the welding of the bolt and magazine, but the older specification deacts are still acceptable, as long as they are not easily made to fire. A bore diameter hardened pin press fit and welded into a blind hole through the receiver and chamber would likely suffice for a bolt action Enfield.
Old 30-03-23, 13:58
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Larry
You are too late by about 5 days. I just sold 4 shot-out barrels on the weekend.

Terry: Deactivated firearms do not have to be locked up. They are exempt from storage and transportation regulations in Canada. The current guideline includes the welding of the bolt and magazine, but the older specification deacts are still acceptable, as long as they are not easily made to fire. A bore diameter hardened pin press fit and welded into a blind hole through the receiver and chamber would likely suffice for a bolt action Enfield.
Deactivated firearms do not need to be secured like live firearms in Canadian law, there is always discretionary caution. We have an obligation not to alarm visitors at displays. Driving around with a mounted .50 on an anti-aircraft post might be within the rules, but it is unnecessarily provocative. A couple of complaints and the cops and regulators escalate the situation for everyone. There is video somewhere of an Australian policewoman upbraiding a restored Jeep because there was an axe strapped appropriately to the side of the body. That's a dangerous weapon was the line of attack. As if the owner had out a box of live hand grenades with a "take one" sign.

When the Cold War Collection its Ferret out, invariably someone will point at the "thing" hanging on the cupola.

"Is that real?"
"Those are not holograms."
"No, that machine gun?"
"No, it is plumbing fittings."
"Oh, ok."

The expectation is that our authentic vehicle restorations extends to the mounted machine guns, artillery, and main guns, as live firing destructive devices. The complexities of old or new specification deactivation are lost on just about everyone.

What I'm suggesting in this conversation is that to avoid grubby little fingers feverishly unbuckling a few canvas straps to abscond with a live No.4, which then becomes chargeable, the easier security route is to use authentic canvas covers to conceal guaranteed non-lethal plumbing parts and (for now) uncontrolled varnished hardwood, shaped like the real thing. A couple of through bolts doesn't destroy anything valuable, but buttresses our opportunity to educate and display.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 30-03-23, 16:44
carrier mech

Remember that if you do a good job with those plumbing parts, you have made a replica, which in Canadian law is a prohibited device.The deactivated gun is not.

While having your property stolen at a display is always a concern, hiding what we are legally allowed only furthers the anti-gun agenda.

Last edited by rob love; 30-03-23 at 19:28.
Old 30-03-23, 17:39
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Remember that if yu do a good job with those plumbing parts, you have made a replica, which in Canadian law is a prohibited device.The deactivated gun is not.

While having your property stolen at a display is always a concern, hiding what we are legally allowed only furthers the anti-gun agenda.
Deactivated pieces discretely zip tied to the rifle bracket is what I do. I've assembled 3 out of 3 Sht. L.E.'s for my carrier and 3 out of 5 No.4's for my HUW (although I have most of the bits to work up another if a crapola sporter finds its way home). So we are in competition for those few, expensive Enfield parts but not too much.
Old 31-03-23, 02:43

Thanks for your advice Terry but I think I will still look to put a dewat in my carrier. Rob if you ever get another barrel you don't want I am still looking.
Thanks everyone
Larry