MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > Canadian Military Vehicle Organisations > Ontario Military Vehicle Association News

Notices

Old 31-10-08, 21:46
Dutch member

Default OMVA show Kingston 10-04-08

My first visit to an OMVA show, it was nice
walking & talking between the several members.
Normaly only contact by phone or e-mail.
Maybe next year again?

Mvg. Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Kingston01.jpg   Kingston02.jpg   Kingston03.jpg   Kingston04.jpg   Kingston05.jpg  

Old 09-11-08, 17:59

Default Next Year! Ha! Your funny

Gents,

the very small number of us who put the show on have agreed that we wont be doing it again next year as the time involved and energy required was more than we can handle.

We have agreed that if we do one again it will have to have a bigger budget for advertising as we feel we want to reach beyond the already converted and display our hobby of Military Vehicles to the general public and get them to pay for the priviledge of doing so.

This year after covering our costs we were able to make a donation to the Princess of Wales Own Regiment museum of over a $1,000 cash! This will greatly benefit the museum.

We were very fortunate to get the use of the drill hall and the tables and chairs at no cost $ wise from CFB Kingston.

We did expend a quit considerable sum of our own monies in the floating of armour and other vehicles to the event and that was done as our part of being involved in the OMVA show.

For my part I spent around $300 in fuel and over a week of my time making vehicles presentable and clean. I ran out of time as far as kitting out vehicles with added fluff fluff like antennae and the like.

We were still working on the monday morning taking a float trailer of tables and chairs back to base stores.

If it was not for the generous participation of my erstwhile employer and his vehicles and equipment a lot of what was on display would not have happened.

So to recap, I need some time off and a bit of a breather before another one, and when we do I want to try having bleacher seating and vehicles rolling by and a commentary A la Beltring type event. I know its a bit ambitous but its doable with some planning.

anyone want to help?

Robin Craig
Union Jack Collection
Old 10-11-08, 21:56
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
anyone want to help?

Robin Craig
Union Jack Collection
I do.

Please keep me in mind when your planning your next event. I'm only an hour away, and would be willing to donate some time if warned a bit in advance.

I guess I ought to join the OMVA?

Scotty B

armybuck043@hotmail.com
Old 10-11-08, 22:23

Default Time involved????

Of course there is time involved. Normally this is never seen as the same old people do it every show and every year. The Kingston show was well done and I'm glad I went. The different location attracted fresh people and vehicles. However it was the same dealers with the same parts. Although every year these parts get more expensive.
For some reason it is impossible to get the collectors to bring out their spare material to sell. There are large collectors with extensive inventories of spares and parts removed from disassembled vehicles. Everything stays hidden away.
There were militaria dealers there but some prices are like phone numbers.
We have openings in the Club for a treasurer and President. I have asked for people to step up to the plate and get a lot of head shaking no's. But they attend the shows and seem to enjoy the meets.
Can we have some fresh faces in the Executive. I'm getting to old for this.
Old 11-11-08, 05:32

Default Burn Out

Peter,

what you are describing is nothing new to me and many others. I have served as an executive member of various groups over the years since being in Canada and they all suffer from the same lack of fresh faces to step into the breach and do things.

I have served as president and on down in groups and have walked away from them as they have become less important in my life.

I echo your comments but will not be taking up a position within OMVA as I am coming to the end of a year on the executive of the Ottawa Valley Land Rovers.

Respectfully

Robin
Old 14-11-08, 22:19
Dutch member

Default Young MLU guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter simundson View Post
........as the same old people do it every show and every year.
You'r right Peter, we getting older but young guys are coming !

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
YoungGuys.jpg