MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-11-04, 23:34

Default The difference in differentials

This week I was cleaning and reassembling differential for HUP and C60 interesting to note the size of the two and the weight. The HUPs was not bad to get out and put back just using a floor jack and strap the C60 is something else.

One comment, I would have is that anybody that has not replace the drain plug with one with one that has a magnet should think about it. The HUPs was coming out because one of the axles had broken off in the splines. So it not only had to come out to remove the broken off section but to clean out the little bits of metal. Out of curiosity, I put a big magnet in the funnel that I drained the oil through and was amazed at the amount of very fine metal dust that was caught by the magnet. Not any big chunks though.
Attached Thumbnails
differentials.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 29-11-04, 04:02

Default Impressive difference.....

Hi Phil

Assuming that we will never find a off the shelf magnetic plug.... what would you recommend...???

I drained the oil from my C15 and was amazed how clean the gear cluster was....... no teeth missing.... very even wear.....

Could one weld a braket inside the axle cover and bolt on a ceramic magmet in place...?? it would not be at the lower point in the axle so would it work???? sure owuld not want the maget to break free.

I am thinking of building a mounting plate to hold the gear "pumpkin" on an engine stand for ease an flexibility???? I built a 4 wheel axle stand and needed the tractors bucket to lift the sucker on the stand.... heavy!!!!! Now I can sit on a stool at the just the right height to work on the brakes...... lazy!!!!

Any particular pitfalls to avoid in dismantling the axle????

What did you find on the seals and bushings....any surprises???

Hang in there.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 29-11-04, 13:10
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Magnetic drain plug

One solution that worked well for me a few years back on a 4wd diff housing (stamped steel, not cast housing) was to use a "donut" shaped magnet off the back of an old speaker cone. The drain plug fitted inside the hole in the magnet, and when it was time to drain the oil you take off the magnet to access the plug, thus allowing any metal particles to wash out with the oil as it drained.
I'm not sure how effective this would be with a cast housing, but even if it magnetised the whole housing and attracted the fine metal to any point of the interior wall of the housing, at least this would keep it out of the gears.
Old 29-11-04, 16:12

Default Magnetic Drain Plugs

I understand that the drain plugs used on the M211 are the same size and have a magnet. Have not found out for sure but I'm going to check it out.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com