MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 25-07-07, 20:24

Default British Studebaker US6

Does anyone have any pictures of the US6 in British service or any Commonwealth army?
There is a new model kit out in 1/35 from ICM that looks good.
Thanks
Paul
Old 27-07-07, 15:33

Default British Studebaker US6

I have seen a photo in the past (cannot trace where unfortunately) of a Stude in British Army service. I carried the 'Micky Mouse Ear' camouflage scheme. If I come across it I will let you have a copy, meantime hope this is helpful.
Old 27-07-07, 20:54

Paul the British army used quite a number of the Studebakers in WW2 in most of the theatres of the war, here are a few examples

The tractor trailer combination destined for the RAF

LWB cargo

SWB cargo
Attached Thumbnails
mlu1.jpg   mlu2.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-08-07, 12:45

Paul, is the ICM model already available? I have heard rumors, have seen lists of new kits but have not seen the model as a such. Maybe you could scan down the title of the box if you already have one, or even some pictures form the assembly instruction?
Thanks a lot for any comments,
Jan Mostek, IPMS Czech Rep.
Old 01-08-07, 19:34

The kit is not out yet, unfortunately.
Old 02-08-07, 16:28

Well, hopefully it is not another "ghost" model like, for an example, ESCI´s Dodge D30 in three different variants some times back in the 70s years...
Old 16-09-07, 20:38

Default Stude is not a ghost

I know that this is not scale modelers forum, but on the other hand, I know that it is very often visited by serious modelers. In spite of several above mentioned replies I would like to inform all modelers who attend this forum that the long time expected Studebaker US6 in 1/35 scale is available. It has just appeared on the IPMS Czec Rep. Nationals during this weekend, so I believe it shoudl be available in most hobby shops within a few days. See a few drawings from the assembly instruction.
Happy Modelling,
Jan.
Attached Thumbnails
stude_chassis.jpg  
Old 16-09-07, 20:49

The Studebaker kit looks very good, better than older GMC kits available. But sometimes it seems that dividing teh model into parts is not the best, for example differential housings, I would prefer the axle, or at least differential housing to be a single piece. Also in some cases teh parts were deformed, probably due to teh residual shrinkage stresses which appeared in wrongly designed molds (for example a complet of axles, shafts and transfer case). BUt I believe it is possible to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
stude_cab.jpg  
Old 16-09-07, 20:54

Detailing of the models is very good, parts are clear, without flashes. The price in teh Czech Rep oscilates around 20 Euros, less than Tamiya GMC.
Attached Thumbnails
stude_cab_body.jpg  
Old 16-09-07, 21:01

Probably the only serious problem is teh shape of a hood. I guess the model was made on a set of drawings which appeared in russian magazines some time ago, where I found teh same error. See the drawing copy used for decal location, tehre is the same shape like on the hood part in the kit. I would say teat teh curve should be more rounded in the area shown. It could be a problem to sand it off because of teh thicknes of the material. Anyway, teh long time expected truck model is here, and is definitely worth of buying. Happy modelling Jan.
Attached Thumbnails
stude_side_view.jpg  
Old 16-09-07, 21:13

And at the end, I would have two questions, perhaps some Studebaker experts would know:

1. On the picture below it si visible some box behind the cab. Is it an additional fuel tank (because of expected long routes of tractors) or some tool box? Was it a standard fitting for the tractors?

2. Were all tractors with rear wheel drive only or were made also tractors with all wheel drive?

Thanks in advance for your comments
Jan.
Attached Images

Old 16-09-07, 21:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan Mostek
And at the end, I would have two questions, perhaps some Studebaker experts would know:

1. On the picture below it si visible some box behind the cab. Is it an additional fuel tank (because of expected long routes of tractors) or some tool box? Was it a standard fitting for the tractors?

2. Were all tractors with rear wheel drive only or were made also tractors with all wheel drive?

Thanks in advance for your comments
Jan.
The box is a tool box. These were normally made and fitted by the different units so there is no real fixed size nor location.

Some of these probably would have been all wheel drive as the tractor, I believe, was only a Short Wheel base cab and chassis with a fifth wheel fitted to take the trailer.

At a converted rate of about $33AUD it is not bad price and would be worth getting.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 16-10-08, 15:13

Can anyone shed some light onto the area between the cab and tray of the SWB Studebaker? Just like a GMC 352 there seem to be two spare wheels behind the cab, but looking at the picture that Les posted there seems to be some contraption just behind, or maybe even attached to, the spare wheel.....maybe a device to help move the spare wheel from it's rest?
The GMC's 352 had two smaller gas tanks behind the cab mounted sideways, but when I look closely at Les' picture, the Studebaker seems to have the normal "large" fuel tank mounted in the center(?).

Does anyone know of anymore pictures of the SWB Studebaker in British serive, or any SWB Studebaker pictures at all? (there is one of the right hand side on a Rumanian website)

Alex