MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 10-03-19, 07:43

Default question on placement of corps bar

According to CanadianSoldiers website, the white bar was to be 2 inches in height and was instructed to be placed just above the serial of the AoS marking. Am I right in assuming the original dimensions and 'artwork' of the Arm of Service are unaltered before the white bar is utilized? Further to that, once added, the marking's overall height does increase with the addition of the white bar, but not quite by two inches?

Something like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	white corps bar.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	105992

I suppose some applying the markings could be more thorough - painting out the bottom of the marking by the same amount of height that the white bar exceeds the top. This retains the original specified size, as well as keeping the two coloured stripes of equal height?

regards,
Jack
Old 10-03-19, 15:07
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Geratic View Post
Am I right in assuming the original dimensions and 'artwork' of the Arm of Service are unaltered before the white bar is utilized? Further to that, once added, the marking's overall height does increase with the addition of the white bar, but not quite by two inches?
I've always assumed that the white bar was painted above the AOS, letting the AOS keep its dimensions unaltered, and making the overall height of the marking higher by two inches.

You've used a Signals AOS as your demonstrator. If you had used an RCASC or RCAC AOS, where the colours are separated diagonally, the cutting off of the top would have altered the appearance greatly.

Perhaps Canadiansoldiers meant from the top of the AOS when it wrote from the top of the serial.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 10-03-19, 19:16

Dan, thanks for that and yes, when considering an example with the diagonal split marking, it certainly would look odd if the white bar was not placed directly atop the edge.

Just that when I see an example like the period photo below, it has me wondering what's going on. Clearly the spacing along the bottom of the 44 is greater than what is above it (excluding the white bar). Unless the numbers were added last and placed so they are centered based on the new height of the marking?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DwO1DKGC9RQDGK6rr0ASLjJN9LbpwgExZ3HF_LbuRlU[1].jpg
Views:	5
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	106012

regards,
Jack