MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 15-10-12, 07:10

Default SAS jeep project

Hello to all

I have recently picked up a willy's jeep and am wanting to do it up as a desert jeep. I am trying to gather some photos and info to assist during the build mainly of items such as the jerry can holders on the hood and in the rear. I havn't found any good detail pictures to show these items.

I am also trying to work out how the extra tire was mounted. as the original wheel is over the centre line i have seen some with the extra wheel ofset to the left hand side on a tyre carrier. others with the original bracket moved so the two wheels are spaced evenly both mounted on carriers. and another that didn't seem to use any wheel carrier and seemed to use the bumpers as the support
The couple of original photos i found show the front of the jeeps but do any exist showing the rear of the jeep that may clear this up.
Any info or pictures would be appreciated

Thanks Eben
Old 15-10-12, 07:36

Eben, have you seen this thread?
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ghlight=desert

Rich
Old 15-10-12, 10:33
Tony VAN RHODA

Default My lrdg jeep version

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb43bsa View Post
Hello to all

I have recently picked up a willy's jeep and am wanting to do it up as a desert jeep. I am trying to gather some photos and info to assist during the build mainly of items such as the jerry can holders on the hood and in the rear. I havn't found any good detail pictures to show these items.

I am also trying to work out how the extra tire was mounted. as the original wheel is over the centre line i have seen some with the extra wheel ofset to the left hand side on a tyre carrier. others with the original bracket moved so the two wheels are spaced evenly both mounted on carriers. and another that didn't seem to use any wheel carrier and seemed to use the bumpers as the support
The couple of original photos i found show the front of the jeeps but do any exist showing the rear of the jeep that may clear this up.
Any info or pictures would be appreciated

Thanks Eben
Hi Eben

I am into desert type jeeps, though mine is a cheap version. I think during the desert campaign the LRDG vehicles were altered to the whim of the guys using them. If you google LRDG you will find heaps to help you. I have attached a few photos of my Jeep at a club outing taken at the Jamestown Airshow Re-enactment. I hope you enjoy doing up your Jeep as much as I did,

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02567.jpg   DSC02572.jpg   DSC02632.jpg  
Old 15-10-12, 13:28
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Sas ?

I read a book years ago about the SAS ? units and the Jeeps they modified to be dropped into occupied Europe for the behind the lines resistance groups to use . These units were often a official British army setup, working with the resistance . These were highly mobile groups harassing the Germans , quick strikes , then get out . The Jeeps bristled with various machine guns . Sometimes, the plans went wrong and the Jeeps got shot up badly . Something along the lines of Popskis private army .

I think some the Jeeps were even dropped by parachute into the more remote forest areas , most of those Jeeps were not driveable after hitting the ground.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 16-10-12, 00:05

As luck would have it, I have just been sent a copy of "The Phantom Major" (The story of David Stirling and the SAS Regiment) by Virginia Cowles 1958.
The Jeeps were certainly a disposable item, and as there was continual improvments and modifications to all the vehicles that the SAS used as such I doubt that there was ever a definitive list of exacting modifications.
The first Jeeps carried 2 pairs of the Vickers "K" machine gun, one facing forward, one rear, both on the RHS. The "K" was used because (the army was unable/willing to supply machine guns) Stirling managed to find 12 of them held in storage by the RAF, who promptly told him to take the lot.
By Nov 1942:
"After a certain amount of experimenting, it was found that each jeep could carry (roughly): 2 men, 2 vickers "K" Machine guns, 12 mines, 1 rifle, 1 sten gun, 35 gallons of petrol, 40 gallons of water, 20 days of rations, kit , binoculars,compasses etc."

Petrol and water alone would weigh 340kg.

Nice pic here:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ite-force.html

Interestingly a pic. taken from a slightly different angle was used on the cover of the book, with David Stirling either out of frame, or possibly cropped out! This pic shows the far jeep carrying a .30 or .50 cal on the passenger scuttle, the "K"'s are on a very rudimentary mount bolted from underneath with the nut and quite a lot of exposed thread on top.
(Edit)just found a copy of the pic I am talking about, it will be the second below, (from: http://twolftfeet.com/sas.html )
Single spare tyre, no windscreen. Well I can only see one spare, but as it is on the drivers side it must be a spare spare! Possibly mounted higher?
Just been looking on the net,and found the pic below ( from http://www.forum.militarni.pl/viewtopic.php?t=1961 )
it shows the spare as being lashed on the back with straps.
It is only when you have a close look at period photos you realise how rough as guts these mods were.
So to sum up, make it fast, make it rough and don't make it like any others you see!
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
sasjeepgz5.jpeg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard Coutts-Smith; 16-10-12 at 03:42. Reason: But wait, there's more...
Old 21-10-12, 03:18

Maybe we need a page on MLU Etiquette.
Three MLUers went to the trouble to reply to this question, with no form of acknowledgment.
Another to add to my ignore list.

Only wish I could say what I think!
Richard

Last edited by Richard Coutts-Smith; 21-10-12 at 03:35.
Old 21-10-12, 07:04
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
Maybe we need a page on MLU Etiquette.
Three MLUers went to the trouble to reply to this question, with no form of acknowledgment.
Another to add to my ignore list.

Only wish I could say what I think!
Richard
Hi Rich

I agree, but never mind, we are what we are, and some of us will still always try to assist.

Cheers

Tony
Old 22-10-12, 09:33

Hi

First off, sorry to richard, mike and tony. I very much appreciate your time in replying to my questions. I have been busy in prepairing for our annual military jeep club meet and have been tied up with that both preparing and being at the event friday, saturday and sunday. In hindsight i shouldn't have posted untill after the event so i could reply and give thanks to your input. I have attached a few pictures of my display at the canungra event what i have been preparing for and involved in the past week.

Thank you for the information. Before i start i am trying to gather as much info and pictures as i can. Hopefully i can spend some more time focussing on it now.
Thank you for the information, they certainly carried some gear. I am gathering a folder of photos and am wanting to do mine up like the original photo with sterling, the same photo that is on the info sheet in the tamiya model kit. I have found a few more original photos some showing the 50 cal others showing the twin vickers, but hadn't found any showing the tyre arrangement as to whether the original tyre stayed in place and the spare was offset to the left, this seems to be the way the model kit is molded. or thought the original bracket may have been moved to even up the two tyres.

Like you say they looked like they were done in a hurry and not an exact modification so either way is probably ok, just would like to base it on an original photo.

Once again sorry to all involved and its great to have a forum and the people on it to help each other out

Thanks Eben
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1647 (Medium).jpg   IMG_1750 (Medium).jpg   IMG_1768 (Medium).jpg  
Old 22-10-12, 10:33
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default pics

I think this was a parachute drop setup

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
sas1.jpg   sas2.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 22-10-12, 12:13
Tony Baker

Default Seen at Canungra 2012

Click image for larger version

Name:	c4.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	52889 Click image for larger version

Name:	c33.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	52890

But after looking closer at your prior posting, I think you may already have seen this vehicle in the flesh :-)

Last edited by Private_collector; 22-10-12 at 12:28.
Old 23-10-12, 05:44

Hi Guys

Thats a nice picture of an airborne style jeep, cheers mike. There are so many variants, I like these style jeeps as well with the armoured windscreens etc.
Tony, thanks for the picture. In the years i have been going to canungra i hadn't come across any of the sas dessert style jeeps. It was nice to finally have one at the event to have a good close look at. I took heaps of photos and had a good chat with the owner.

Thanks Eben