MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-07, 03:09
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: In the background on Juno Beach

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Here's some kit having a really bad start to the war. I'm wondering if the UC flipped while off-loading an LST. The ramp may have been too steep.
Don't think so, Derek... I've seen a bigger copy of this famous pic, and there is a lot of damage to the right-side bogies. My guess is that he clipped a mine that was big enough to flip him right over. Unfortunately, reading of similar incidents, there's almost no chance the crew survived.

BTW, that's a Queen's Own Rifles' carrier IIRC, on NAN WHITE Beach near Bernières-sur-Mer.

Old 02-08-07, 04:27

Default In the background vehicle dump

Was browsing through some back issues of Classic MV magazine February 2004, issue 33, page13. Looking at the Ford WOTS and in the background the last row or two of Vehicles are 2 Pdr Anti Tank Portees, I count 25 Portees there, and more likely a whole row behind as well,Thats enough to make a Kiwi Portee owner skip
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg  
Old 02-08-07, 07:17
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Ainta no Italiano gun

The Howitzer is an Aust 4.5in Howitzer on a Mk1* Carriage (Same wheels/axle as WW1 18pdr). This pic below is the Mk2 Carriage with the same wheels and axletrees as a 25pdr.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-07, 07:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The 18pdrs of WW1 had timber spoked wheels, but in the 20's or 30's, with the advent of mechanised tractors, were converted to pneumatic wheels. Pictured here is an 18pdr and limber with the wheels shown:
Attached Images

Old 02-08-07, 07:31
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Here is a close-up of a pneumatic-tyres 18pdr limber.
To bring this Threadjacker2000tm post full circle, in the background is a CMP 60S Portee!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-07, 14:34
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: In the background on Juno Beach

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Don't think so, Derek... I've seen a bigger copy of this famous pic, and there is a lot of damage to the right-side bogies. My guess is that he clipped a mine that was big enough to flip him right over. Unfortunately, reading of similar incidents, there's almost no chance the crew survived.

BTW, that's a Queen's Own Rifles' carrier IIRC, on NAN WHITE Beach near Bernières-sur-Mer.

Poor S.O.B.s probably didn't even know what hit them. The Q.O.R.s suffered the greatest number of casualties of all the regiments landing on Juno, 61 killed, 77 wounded.
I wonder if the other vehicles in this pic were collateral damage from the same blast?
Old 02-08-07, 17:17
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 4.5" How

Hi Tony:

You beat me to it!

The unusual spider rims had me fooled. I dug around last night and learned that Canada and The UK used the Martin-Parry adapters to convert 13 and 18 pounders as well as 4.5" hows from wooden to pneumatic wheels. Australia used a home grown solution which resulted in the different looking wheel arrangement.

Had me fooled! The gun I thought it was is the Scoda 100mm but once I got to looking at the pictures, the characteristic profile of the 4.5" how became obvious.

I'd like to learn more about the Aussie adaptor as it looks like it allowed for using a much wider tyre than the Martin-Parry which was quite tall and skinny. Thanks for the other photos, they're great!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 02-08-07, 18:46
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Derek, are you off your arty meds again? Remember what the doc said... you're not supposed to know that much about artillery, much less hob-nob with that peculiar lot, it's not good for you. This is simply not on, old boy, tsk-tsk.
There is LESS-distinguished company I could associate with other than Artillery. They're not a bad bunch, really. Engineers and Artillery share more than just a battle honour...we also share a love for things that make loud noises! Right, Gunner?
My interest in artillery started when as kids we used to go to Stanley Park to hear the 9 O'clock gun (a 12 pdr muzzle loading Naval gun cast in 1816) fire every night. I also witnessed a battery of 25 pdrs saluting vessels entering the harbour numerous times. As a B.C. Lions Football fan for decades I was priveleged to watch the Gun Run on occasion, always an exciting event (did you ever participate Gunner?) Lastly, I was installing Mobile Arrester Gear on the runway at a NATO exercise when we were zoomed by a B1 practicing runway denial. There were two batteries of Skyguard present and they opened up (blanks, of course). The sound was deafening! Two batteries X two guns X 2 barrels X 550rds/min = a lot of noise. Two of my Engineer buddies dropped to the ground as if pole-axed! I had serious wood for days! Ever since I've enjoyed studying artillery.
Old 02-08-07, 20:10

Default "Born from a common Mother"

As it says on the Peace Arch between Canada and the USA.

Gunners and Sappers were born from the Board of Ordnance and definitely share many bonds- big booms, St Barbara, Ubique!, the ability to read and write and a love for big forts with "biguns" in 'em.

One small observation: a Gun/Skyguard Section was two guns (GDF 005 twin 35mm Oerlikons) and a radar trailer (Skyguard system). Two Sections made a Troop and two Troops made a Battery. Imagine THAT noise level!

Mike

www.calnan.com/swords
Old 02-08-07, 21:09

Default Re: "Born from a common Mother"

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
... the ability to read and write ...
Don't lie, that was taught to you by your betters in the Infantry and Armour branches, during those rare occasions we found you in a moderately sober state.

Old 02-08-07, 23:06
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: "Born from a common Mother"

Quote:
Don't lie, that was taught to you by your betters in the Infantry and Armour branches.

dang, Gunner, for a second there I thought he was going to say Navy!
Old 02-08-07, 23:31
Derek Heuring

Default Re: "Born from a common Mother"

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
As it says on the Peace Arch between Canada and the USA.

Gunners and Sappers were born from the Board of Ordnance and definitely share many bonds- big booms, St Barbara, Ubique!, the ability to read and write and a love for big forts with "biguns" in 'em.

One small observation: a Gun/Skyguard Section was two guns (GDF 005 twin 35mm Oerlikons) and a radar trailer (Skyguard system). Two Sections made a Troop and two Troops made a Battery. Imagine THAT noise level!

Mike

Great bunch of guys manning the Skyguard. When my duties allowed I popped over for a tour. The young bucks were a little keen, they opened up on me with their C9 until their Master Bombardier told them that the exercise hadn't started yet and the Engineers were not yet Opfor. I think they were just itching to make some noise. He proudly showed me how the guns worked, the auto-reload, and the radar. He let me play with the controls for a bit. The guns can be fired automatically or manually. I was really impressed with the power and clarity of the CCTV images on the screen, too bad there weren't any bathing beauties down by the ocean! It's too bad I can't remember his name, we ended up buying each other a lot of shooters at the local bar after EndEx. I've never 'fessed up to this before, but the puddle of vomit on the stairs to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment's HQ was mine!
I remember getting a huge laugh while getting debriefed for an A.A.R. The Engineers built a large tent city at Camp Indian Head for over 1,000 soldiers. For some reason, just before the Exercise started large quantities of Navy types showed up, I guess they wanted to pretend they were ground pounders for a day. Many of the sailors were young females who occupied a lot of the time of the younger Engineers in my unit. In fact, some of the guys weren't getting much well needed sleep at night, if you know what I mean. During the debriefing, I was asked by a Petty Officer how it went having so many sailors around. Without blinking an eyelid, I quickly responded that things ran a whole lot smoother before the camp got covered in Seamen!

CHIMO!
Old 03-08-07, 01:59

Default Re: Re: Re: "Born from a common Mother"

Quote:
dang, Gunner, for a second there I thought he was going to say Navy!
I was just getting set to respond appropriately to this when I read your following post, Derek. I must confess I owe ya a cold one for that 'Without blinking an eyelid' closing!

Even Engineers can amaze and confound from time to time, surprising as it may seem.

Old 03-08-07, 15:44
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: "Born from a common Mother"

Quote:
I was just getting set to respond appropriately to this when I read your following post, Derek. I must confess I owe ya a cold one for that 'Without blinking an eyelid' closing!

Even Engineers can amaze and confound from time to time, surprising as it may seem.

Yah, I still have a good laugh now and then over that one. I paid the price though. The Petty Officer was a little upset and later I heard through the grapevine that he had complained to the camp's RSM about my comments. The RSM tried to appear sympathetic, but really had nothing to charge me with and he considered the matter dropped. Anyway, the exercise ended, we tore down the camp and loaded up the trucks. There wasn't room in the vehicles for all the Engineers and Logistics staff so we were told that some of us were to stay behind as drivers for the various ILTISs, LSVWs, MLs, and HLs, the rest could fly back to Greenwood. Of course, I was chosen to remain behind as a driver. "There's my punishment, I thought." Oh well, no big deal, I might even enjoy driving across The Rock and Cape Breton. It was early July, the weather was pleasant, and this afforded an excellent opportunity to enjoy a part of Canada that I had never seen before. Things weren't so bad. Vehicle driver's also got rooms on the ferry for the overnight trip from Port aux Basque to North Sydney while everyone else had to make do sleeping on a couch in one of the lounges. The morning of the convoy back arrived. I was informed that I was to drive one of the Packet Commander's Iltis. I was given the key, (if that's what you can call it) and told to check out the vehicle, and stand by for the packet commander and our departure time. I did and soon it was near our time slot. I was sitting in the Iltis enjoying the early morning sunshine when the passenger door opened and in jumped, yes you guessed it, the Petty Officer. Well, he wore me out the whole way back. I was told how I should respect the "Senior Service" and blah, blah, blah. Next time I'll think twice before being a smart-ass!
Old 03-08-07, 18:14

Default Canadian Forces Staff School- Toronto

Where the army went to drink and watch the navy teach the airforce how to read and write!

Now Jiff: You know that the Right of the Line was based on literacy! Hence the Gentlemen (and now lady) cadets of RMC, The Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, The Cavalry, The Royal Canadian Artillery... the Engineers... and some where down there on the left; the infantry!

If Right of the Line was given for ability to get covered in mud and blood, dig trenches really fast, carry more per man than a mule and "close with and destroy the enemy" then youse infanteers might get a tan on your right sides, however...!

ANYWAY... the CMPs never much cared who was riding in 'em as long as they got their daily dose of first, halt and last parades and unlimited fuel to drink!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 07-08-07, 04:07
MLU Administrator

OK, let's get back to the subject with this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
bantam-2-resized.jpg  
Old 16-08-07, 13:21

Default Kiwis watching the rugby

Note the rather flash mobile grandstand
Attached Thumbnails
39948_ac_3_1.jpg  
Old 23-12-07, 18:49

Infantrymen of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders crossing the Orne River on a Bailey bridge built by the Royal Canadian Engineers (R.C.E.) en route to Caen, France, 18 July 1944

PA-162434
Attached Thumbnails
a162434-v6 sd and g highlanders caen france july 1944.jpg  
Old 23-12-07, 18:58

Default Re: Kiwis watching the rugby

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sherriff
Note the rather flash mobile grandstand
Interesting photo any idea where it was taken? From the tires and the color would look to be North Africa, but the uniforms look wrong? CMPs being use as mobile grandstands sure explains why all CMPs seem to have concave roofs.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 23-12-07, 20:39

Default re kiwis watching the rugby

Hi Phil photo was labelled as north africa, the grille on the vehicle beside looks like a chevy 30cwt 2wd aside from that no other info sorry
Old 23-12-07, 21:00
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: re kiwis watching the rugby

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sherriff
Hi Phil photo was labelled as north africa, the grille on the vehicle beside looks like a chevy 30cwt 2wd aside from that no other info sorry
Also the fern leaf on the Tac sign would make them N.Z. wouldn't it?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-01-08, 15:32
Derek Heuring

Default Time to revive "In the Background"

Here's a great shot of a RAF BD Flight taken, presumably after the V1 was defused. In the background is what appears to be a Bedford QL if I'm not mistaken.
Attached Images

Old 20-01-08, 13:27
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Is that a Chev in the background? Would be the first time a Ford is pulling a Chev!
Although not in the background, this is a picture from the same sequence.

Best of all, it proves it is a Ford pulling a Chev!

H.
Attached Thumbnails
reme4.jpg  
Old 20-01-08, 15:30
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Best of all, it proves it is a Ford pulling a Chev!
Hanno

You got it all wrong...
The Chevvy was pushing that Ford carrier with the cable..

Old 21-01-08, 00:41
M38A1 CDN3

Default Ford pulling Chev

Obviously a blatant forgery, or a juxtaposed backwards print.
Old 21-01-08, 00:54
Film maker, CMP addict

Default It's real

You can tell... the bloke in the close up picture is so disappointed about the Chev getting bogged he's about to moon it - just the cameraman was a bit quick with the shutter.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 21-01-08, 01:35

Default Not real

My first instinct was to go with Alex's explanation, then I thought, "No, Silly, you can't push by using a chain"... (reckon I'd better ease up on the tea maybe). It's obvious, of course - the Chev is pulling the stuck Ford carrier backwards off the road into the ditch, to clear the way for the following convoy of Chevs to get up to the Front. Afterwards, said Chev will disengage, climb out of the ditch, move to the front of the Ford carrier, and proceed to drag it wherever it has to go, since that's the only way it's going to get there.

Really quite simple when you think about it.
Old 21-01-08, 04:39
Derek Heuring

Default In the background with Rommel

I've attempted to ID the vehicle in the background to no avail. The rims almost look CMP, although I'm not sure.. Perhaps it's a captured vehicle that has had a command box built on the back? This vehicle could be German, Italian, or British or perhaps even something else. It's an interesting picture, Rommel is awarding a medal to his Italian compatriots...perhaps these Italian officers can be found in the World's Thinnest Book? Any ideas as to what type of truck this is?
Attached Thumbnails
photomedalaward.jpg  
Old 21-01-08, 04:39
Derek Heuring

Default Re: In the background with Rommel

Quote:
I've attempted to ID the vehicle in the background to no avail. The rims almost look CMP, although I'm not sure.. Perhaps it's a captured vehicle that has had a command box built on the back? This vehicle could be German, Italian, or British or perhaps even something else. It's an interesting picture, Rommel is awarding a medal to his Italian compatriots...perhaps these Italian officers can be found in the World's Thinnest Book? Any ideas as to what type of truck this is?
Here it is, a little larger:
Attached Images

Old 21-01-08, 21:50

Default In the background

Gents:

Found this on my hard-drive. Italy or North Africa I'm thinking.

Al Davis