MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 31-12-13, 16:26
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default LSVW trailer question

Just curious what the designation is for the trailer associated with the LSVW

These were built by DEW Engineering I think in the range of 1986-88 ( I think)

My understanding is its a metric trailer and not the same as the US 101 , 104 0r 105

from what Ive gathered its between a 3/4 ton and 1ton destination so again doesn't fit the US 3/4 t or 1.5t ratings

anyone have the dimensions?
Old 31-12-13, 19:14
carrier mech

There is no model number for them. They are simply "trailer, cargo 750kg" made by Dew Engineering in the late 90s. Much of the framework is similar to the old 3/4 ton trailer, but the body differs in that they are merely pressed and do not include the re-enforcing ribs of the old M101 series. They have the same surge master cylinder as the M101A2, with the identical master cylinder to the Willys jeep. The axle is a rubber torsion type.

The cargo box is identical in size to the old M101, and we used to transfer across things like security cages when they first came out.
Old 31-12-13, 22:11

Boy who would have thought this would be so confusing..
Looking on a couple of sites (mostly American) there are variations in dimension for M-101, A1, A2 , A3.. M1101/2

and I ve just seen references to M-104CDN3, and on a govt site,M-104CDN4

(does this latter have 20in rims?) These latter ones in the photos ive seen (2) have a fixed pintle...ie one that would not allow twisting as does the M=100 and the iltis trailer. the 104CDN4 also seems to have a front folding tailgate, whereas the LSVW ones I've seen dont have the front option.

The LSVW ones im thinking of have the same 16in rims, apparently a surge brake, slightly bent pintle and Im looking for the correct dimensions, esp overall width

As the LSVW width is 2 metres, I suspect thats also the overall width of the trailer. ie 2m=78.5 in whereas Olive Drab puts the M-101 at 73,5
Old 31-12-13, 23:34

Marc,

The LSVW trailers were all made under the watchful eye of Elvis at DEW. They had a bust of Elvis on the wall in one of the shops.

The panels were plated or chromated or some other such anti corrosion finish inside DEW. The panels were stitch or step welded together and did not have continuous welds, there was a seam sealer used in between the welds.

The wheels and tyres are the same as the LSVW from what I recall.

The one main identifying feature of the trailers is that they have a transverse stowage box across the A frame draw bar just in front of the box of the trailer itself.

In my collection of photos, deeply buried still, is a complete set of shots of the whole production line process of them being built. DEW granted me access with DND consent to record their manufacture.

It will be a number of years yet before I can unearth them.

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lsvw trailer.jpg (48.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg lsvw trailer 2.jpg (56.0 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Robin Craig; 31-12-13 at 23:35. Reason: i kant spiel
Old 01-01-14, 00:30

indeed Robin.
I suspect the M104Cdn3 and 4 were slightly larger and made for the 2.5 ton trucks.
possibly with 20in tyres. The Cdn4 at least has the vertical reinforcing ribs the Rob Love was mentioning were missing on these ones

The ones you correctly show have the stowage box as standard and use the LSVW wheels and appear to match the overall 2m width of the truck (78.5in) but maybe the inside dimensions are the 73-in of the orig M-101 the Rob mentioned^

Was the production line at Miramichi NB? When was this? Ive heard of build dates of 1987-88

Has anyone bought one? I'd be interested as to what the data plate says.
Old 01-01-14, 00:39

Default Data Plate

This is not the best image, but it does show what is on the trailer's data plate. I have seen this trailer listed as DEW CDN1 ECC 132501.