MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-08, 17:56

Default New C8 owner

Hi Guys,

I just bought Dennis Deck's C8 and will be working on assembly in the next couple months. I already have a couple of questions.....

a. Is there suppose to be a rubber gasket of some sort around the roof hatch?

b. On the inner windscreen frame, there is a rubber seal that goes around the outside. This is very similar to the jeep seal, can I use one from a jeep or do I need to get one specifically for a Cab 12?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-08, 00:17
Andrew

Congratulations Chuck
Another c8 on the forum
It looks to be in quite good order with very little missing
Post a few pics of how it looks now and your progress
As for rubber and some other parts a lot of these type of parts are use what you can get the closest of

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 09-10-08, 04:16
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anderson View Post
Hi Guys,

I just bought Dennis Deck's C8 and will be working on assembly in the next couple months. I already have a couple of questions.....

a. Is there suppose to be a rubber gasket of some sort around the roof hatch?

b. On the inner windscreen frame, there is a rubber seal that goes around the outside. This is very similar to the jeep seal, can I use one from a jeep or do I need to get one specifically for a Cab 12?

Thanks!
great ! I gave dennis a few tips .. he had problems with the broken uni joint behind the gearbox.. it's a common problem with C8's .. mine was broken too.

The windscreen rubber, from memory, is nothing special .. it's a generic style of profile . Don't know about the roof rubber ?

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 09-10-08, 06:31

Thanks Andrew & Mike!

I offloaded it tonight and pushed it into the shop. This was the first time I had a chance to really look at it in detail. It looks pretty straight ahead, but I will have to learn where I can get parts or if I need to improvise. Fortunately, Dennis stocked up on parts so I'm not missing too much. He even has seven new 9.00 x 13 tires and rims.

When restoring the M20, I was fortunate to have one nearby to see how it should look. Unfortunately not so with the C8, I'll have to ask a lot more questions. They are very cool vehicles and I'm looking forward to getting put together.

Cheers!
Old 09-10-08, 06:52

Default 12 cab window and seal

Windshield rubber seal for the sides and bottom of the frame can be purchased reproduction from George Moir Antique Auto Parts Canada or Sacramento Vintage Ford in USA , the same rubber seal fits Ford Model A cars 1928-31 cost is 5.95 per roll cdn, more than enough for one cab, fits 13 cab's also. Fits very well, use silicone spray on the rubber and it slides in the groove with very little trouble.

Rear window on my 12 cab has out side frame as well as inside frame, inside frame holds the two sliding metal protectors ( not windows as there solid steel ) and the outside holds the glass plate, I used a rubber seal from a glass shop that repairs heavy truck and bus flat glass windshields, the seal is grooved and hold the glass as well as being grooved for the sheet metal of the cab, the rubber comes in a 25 ft roll. cut what you need.

Roof hatch seal is solid rubber on this 12 cab and has identical cut and grooves as the wood used on the later production 13 cabs, not sure if it was covered with horse hair and canvas as the wood was ?
1943 Willys MBT 1/4 Ton Trailer sn 25515 Del 4-43
previous
1942 UC MK1
1944 HUP MACH ZL 2
1945 DODGE WP/APT 26-7-45
1942 F15A
1952 M38 CDN101711
1952 M38 CDN101360

Last edited by Gordons; 25-02-09 at 06:15.