MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-10-08, 03:10
Blitzed

Default Local re-enactment injures one

A clipping from the Geelong Advertiser today.
A can't tell you anything about the event as I am not connected with this group. Anyone else know?
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...3055_news.html
Old 13-10-08, 07:55
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Event

No, but here is the clipping... I hope he'll recover OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.png  

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 13-10-08, 07:57

Default explosion injures

Good article

Dont play with things like that , there is no such thing as an expert. Pyrotechnics are fireworks, explosives are explosives, Well he got his reality. Hope he is alright.

Rookie (ex IED EOD) Police and Army.

Thats why I still have all my fingers, I was trained right!!!

Rookie
Old 14-10-08, 23:49
Blitzed

Default update

Another link.
The man in question, Robin Mawson, 52 may be familiar to some here.
Is he the chap with the LP2 carrier that appeared in Keith Webb's Year of the Carrier DVD?
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...3435_news.html
Old 15-10-08, 00:11
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynoki View Post
Another link.
The man in question, Robin Mawson, 52 may be familiar to some here.
Is he the chap with the LP2 carrier that appeared in Keith Webb's Year of the Carrier DVD?
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...3435_news.html
Yes, Robin appears in the YOTC DVD.

What a terrible thing to have happened. My sympathies to Robin and his family, and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I wish him a recovery that is complete and as speedy as possible.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 07-01-09, 23:04

Hi, Just some info on the article which amazingly ended up all over the world. The accident did not happen during the re-enactment and was the next day during cleaning the site. The incident happened as a result of complacency and being in a hurry. Which was a stupid thing to do? However, it was not just throw a drum on a fire. The detonators had been removed and I had vented the drum for some time. What i did wrong was i had gone to get a saw to cut open the end of the plastic drum but could not find it i got side tracked and did not follow through on opening the back to vent it at a better rate. I cleared all others of the area because I new it would go off (i did think not to a big extent) but forgot I had left the plugs out that I had removed to vent the drum. This is why it wicked while I still had hold of it. If it had been re plugged it would have sat on the fire burnt through and then gone off with me at a safe distance. It was a lapse in concentration and a case of the obscenity of assumption, as the bomb had failed to explode during the re-enactment when set off. As this was a gas filled bomb i had experienced in the past some which had leaked and I half assumed this had happened again. Bad assumption and as said the obscenity of.
I was flown to the Alfred hospital and did undergo 8 hrs of surgery that was because of some nerve damage. I did not lose any fingers as reported. I did not get burnt on the face anymore than a case of sunburn. I don't know about comas but i was awake the next morning after the accident that is Monday morning. I don't wish to down play the accident but i was annoyed at some of the media reporting. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I am back at work and am still doing some hand therapy.

For those who seem to think that because they are qualified things don’t go wrong. Here’s my qualifications proving qualified people do make mistakes. However, I have never hurt or caused another person to be injured.

I am qualified in pyrotechnics (worksafe no PYR574) Prior to having my pyrotechnicians qualification I had an Explosives in Agriculture licence No 234 29/9/94. I did this course and was duly licenced by worksafe to use explosives, as at the time there was no such thing in Victoria as a pyrotechnicians licence, but as we were working with pyro’s in re-enactment I felt it necessary to gain training with explosives.

.I have spent 8 years in the Aust Army Reserve in RAEME. And had my army licencesB3,B4,B7,B8G,B9CG, I won student merit awards for both my army driving courses..I also won National Army Reserve Craftsman of the year in 1992. I also instructed on army driving courses with 2/10 medium Reg. Also threw grenades, used MG’s and all that other Infantry stuff one does with the army.

I have a crane and fork lift drivers licence (worksafe no 0001030159) I am an “A” Grade Automotive engineer no 2782 issued 1985. Victorian Licenced Vehicle tester LV No 0043276 and Heavy Vehicle No MAW01160253HV. AAFRB LPG gas licenced. Licenced to work on Automotive Air Conditioning. Member of the Institute Of Automotive Mechanical Engineers. I worked in the Earth moving industry for over 20years and have my own automotive repair business first established in 1982. I have 4 employees and have never had a work place accident in the life of the business.

I am a teacher in the TAFE system and would not be considered a dick head. I work as a .5 (2.5 days a week) in the TAFE system, teaching automotive.

I have been involved in Re-enactment since 1994 having organized, covered safety and all aspects of the operation in the last 14 years. We have done over 35 re-enactments in that time many using pyro’s and all using firearms. I am licenced for blank firing of MG’s. The two most memorable re-enactments being one done for the Australian War Memorial on their front lawn. You can imagine the safety and planning for such an event. We drove 5 WW2 vehicles from Geelong to Canberra. Fired a 25 PDR on the front steps and did a re-enactment encompassing pyros and blank firing in front of 3000 people.

The other being at the Army Museum at Bandiana for the Bi annual conference of the Military Historical Society of Australia, You can imagine the prep to do such a thing for the Army including an environmental impact assessment. We used pyro’s and blank firing, a first for civilians on army property.

For the vehicle buffs I have restored, ground up a LP2 carrier, Chev Blitz 3ton RAEME WS truck. Not the tools. White Scout Car, 25 PDR . Ford 3to GS truck. Bofor gun, These for myself. Currently I am restoring at my workshop for clients a White Scout Car, and a MK5 Acco which saw Vietnam service. I have also done for customers a number of Jeeps.

Sorry for blowing my trumpet but have gone through a lot of reflection on the dumb mistake I made and get a little bit annoyed over one line comments from people who don’t know me or make assessments from newspaper articles which are sometimes not as accurate as they could be.

However, I am the first to admit it was a dumb thing to do. But in 52 years I have never had an accident at all that includes every day driving and 5 years of car racing as well. It just shows don't make assumptions about anything. Robin Mawson
Old 07-01-09, 23:10

HI I ran out of space but thank you very much to all those who wished me well and a speedy recovery. Regards Robin Mawson
Old 08-01-09, 01:16
www.REMLR.com

You've restored a lot of vehicles. It's not uniusual for the media to blow something out of proportion, but it's nice to hear the real story for once.

It may sound strange, but do you know the ARN of the Mk.5 inter, if not, give me the chassis number and I should be able to help as i've been transcribing the Mk.5 ARN's lately for REMLR.com's Army Inter Chapter.
Old 08-01-09, 03:00

Default acco chassis number

Hi, The owner has done the research on the vehicle, He said it suffered mine damage in Vietnam. Judging by the LHF of cab and flor it was afield repair. Chassis number is ADE6X6 2304 on LHF chassis. If interested in any more info i can put you in touch with the owner. Regards robin
Old 08-01-09, 04:25
www.REMLR.com

I don't know how internet savy he is, but if he visits our website he may even find a photo of his truck!

http://www.remlr.com/Army-Inter/

That chassis number is not one I have transcribed yet, but i'm not finished so it should appear in time. I'll make a note to contact you when his number comes up.
Old 08-01-09, 05:21

Thanks I will send it to him,
Old 08-01-09, 05:27

Default Local re in actment

Robin

I choke on my words. my comments were written immediately after the event thinking that you may have been some re enactor that got it wrong with dangerous products. PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY, Having worked in the field but not in a public display capacity I am very wary of the product.

I do hope you have a quick recovery, we all get sidetracked, Again ANZAC I totally withdraw my remarks.

Rookie
Old 08-01-09, 09:09
Corowa Project 30

Hi Robin,
It is good to hear that you are back at work. The Committee and members of KVE thank you and your family for the Christmas card. It was good to read your account of the incident as there are always two sides to every story. Hopefully you will be able to make it to Corowa in March.
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 08-01-09, 10:49

Hi Rookie and Jan.
Thank you both very much for your thoughts. I appreciate the card sent by KVE. Thanks Rookie i appreciate your words. I hope to see you guys around. I will try to get to Corowa this year. Regards robin