MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 20-07-18, 13:02

Default Vickers .50 tech data

G'day all, trying to get some tech data and line drawings of a Vickers .50 MG so as to create a pair of gas firers for Colin's two Vickers light tanks he is rebuilding. (Check out the Armour section of this forum) any tips would be greatly appreciated. Even if you know of one in a museum where I might be able to obtain some basic measurements, cheers Dave
Old 20-07-18, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave lean View Post
G'day all, trying to get some tech data and line drawings of a Vickers .50 MG so as to create a pair of gas firers for Colin's two Vickers light tanks he is rebuilding. (Check out the Armour section of this forum) any tips would be greatly appreciated. Even if you know of one in a museum where I might be able to obtain some basic measurements, cheers Dave
Contact Richard Fisher.

https://vickersmg.blog/

Tim
Old 20-07-18, 22:41
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Is it just the "Front end" you want details of (ie the part external to the turret and visible from the outside), or the whole gun in detail?

And does it need to specifically be the English-made MkV that was supplied with the Vickers Light Tanks, or will the Australian-made MkXXI version be sufficient?
Old 21-07-18, 01:48

Hi Tony, am after the whole gun mate, be nice to poke ones noggin down through the hatch and see as much correct detail as possible. Another contact of mine does very excellent and discreet gas conversions for all manner of weaponry so the desire is to have a pair of Vickers that not only look the part but sound it as well. I have only one photo of the two guns mounted in the Bovington tank but there is insufficient detail to scale off. B2U Dok
Old 21-07-18, 01:52

Sorry Tony I missed adding the type, It's really up to Col but I suspect it doesn't really matter? Were the Au built units used in these tanks I guess is the question.
Old 21-07-18, 01:55
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave lean View Post
Hi Tony, am after the whole gun mate, be nice to poke ones noggin down through the hatch and see as much correct detail as possible. Another contact of mine does very excellent and discreet gas conversions for all manner of weaponry so the desire is to have a pair of Vickers that not only look the part but sound it as well. I have only one photo of the two guns mounted in the Bovington tank but there is insufficient detail to scale off. B2U Dok
A pair of Vickers .50s is ambitious. A single would be a score. And even if you found them the cross border restrictions shipping may be a deal stopper. I wish you the best of luck. Fabricating replicas should be a day's work for Colin given what he'd demonstrated so far but getting hold of an original would be the key. Let me know if you need details on a plain old .303 Vickers.
Old 21-07-18, 02:29

G'day Bruce, I have been in touch with Richard Fisher in the UK and it would seem that he is able to give me sufficient info/detail on these guns. I hadn't realized that the Lithgow small arms facility in NSW has info on the .50 as well. Regarding originals.. wouldn't it be nice to pop into the local butchers shop and ask for a pair of NOS .5 ins ?? Anyway I am confident that with some basic drawings and measurements of the correct Mk, I can replicate what is needed. I note that the turret mounted 303 V has a slightly shorter cooling jacket than does the standard unit, can you confirm this? As I only have some less than ideal photos to go on. As for the fabrication of all these guns, this will be my contribution to Cols project. I can assure you he has plenty on his plate with all the other details that need his attention.