MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-22, 00:21

Default what is it?

I know there has been much discussion about #19 sets but there seem to numerous variations on the accessories used. So look at these photos and tell me what you recognize.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ws19A.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	130167
I wonder if the ws217 mike on the top right is US?
The handset on the right looks like field telephone, could it also be radio?
The mike on the top left uses a 4 prong connector not a quarter inch phone jack

Name:	ws19B.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	130168
standard 19 set parts? the headset top left may be US

Name:	ws19C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	130169
Mk2 dog bones, the one on the left is 4 prong both ends

Name:	ws19D.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	130170
top cable is 12 to 12 prong, secons appears to be power input cable for power supply.
All input greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Bob Phillips; 01-10-22 at 00:29.
Old 02-10-22, 14:54
Junior Password Gnome

Photo #1, clockwise from top left:

Microphone, Hand, No.4, 4A, or 8. (4 is for WS 8, 12, 21 or 33; 4A is for WS18 (thicker wires for switching the valve filament supply), 8 is for Remote Control Unit 'F' for the WS 22.

American 'T17' microphone. Depending on the plug it could be for the WS48 or the AN/GRC-9 (I think), or a variety of other things.

Telephone, Hand, No.? - for field telephones. May have a switch in the handle which would make it for Telephone Set D Mk V, no switch is for Telephone Set F.

Microphone, Hand, No. C3. Canadian version of Mic. Hand. No.3 and used with the Wireless Remote Control Units (Canadian) for the WS19, etc. Also can be used with anything that takes the No.3 (e.g. WS 9, 11, remote control units A, B, E, etc.)

Photo #2 (again clockwise from top left):

American headset and throat microphone - don't recognise either.

Microphone & Headset Assembly No.1 for WS19 or 52 - missing the snatch plug. (Check the headset inserts for continuity, they have a high failure rate.)

Canadian Mic & Headset Assembly No.10 for WS19 or WS52 - should have the conical rubber "snatch plug" on the end of the cable.

Canadian headset with jack plug - probably for the Wireless Remote Control Unit No.1 - the jack plug should have an oversize 'boss' on the back to prevent it being used in the microphone socket (which would discharge the batteries). Equivalent to (but far more comfortable than) the British CLR and DLR No.5 headsets.

Photo #3

4-pin cable is American.
Short 12 pin to 12 pin dogbones are Supply Unit No.2 (or equivalent) to WS19 Mk.3.
Long 12 pin to 12 pin cable is a WS19 harness connector, probably for a set on the "wooden board" Carrier No.3 or 23, but may have other uses in complex setups (command vehicles).

Photo #4

Long cable is a WS19 harness cable, probably for running between two control units in a tank turret - there is a whole range of these. Black plastic insulation means American or late/post-WW2 manufacture.

Short cable is a power input cable for the WS19 supply unit, probably in a wireless truck (Charging Switchboard or Batten, Terminal to Supply Unit). May originally have had 4 lug connectors, the other two being for jumpering a pair of batteries to provide 12V (from 2 x 6V 125AH accumulators).

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 02-10-22, 18:41

Hi Chris,
Thanks very much for the detailed responses to my questions/photos.
I had recently acquired a lot of misc wireless bits, mostly 19 set stuff.(see photo) I hope to put together a couple of sets for my own uses and will offer up the rest at the OMVA flea market later this month.

Name:	ws19AA.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	130181
Old 05-10-22, 03:56

Hi Bob,
Can you kindly post details about the OMVA flea market, I can't see anything on their website. Could it be the Ham Operators show you're talking about?
Thx,
Patrick
Old 05-10-22, 11:40

The flyer for the show is attached as a PDF file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OMVA fall 2022 militaria show flyer.pdf (640.1 KB, 17 views)