MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 21-10-05, 06:55
M38A1 CDN3

Default Canadian Gun Laws

Well, I posted this once before and I guess it went to cyber space heaven. Anyways, here gozit again...

Go, tell the Spartans,
Stranger passing by
That here, obedient to their laws
We lie.

Anyone care to make philosophical or introspective comment, bearing in mind that the thrust of the quotation relates, in modern times, to the illegal manifestation of the gun laws which strangle legal law-abiding gun owners in Canada?

...or, am I :dh:
Old 21-10-05, 13:33
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Jon, I love it. Sounds perfectly fitting.
Having been on the outside looking in for a few years now, I have got the inclination to get back into the "collectables" again. The thing that really irks me is the political BS associated with such collecting so I may just stay away just like the Libs want us to do.
I do find it amazing though how many guys I have spoken to are at the point of becoming law breakers in the face of corrupt laws, justifying their attitudes with quotes like the one you posted.
I think the Nazi's gun registry plan worked out quite well for them...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 21-10-05, 15:18
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Canadian Gun Laws

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Well, I posted this once before and I guess it went to cyber space heaven. Anyways, here gozit again...

Go, tell the Spartans,
Stranger passing by
We lie.

Anyone care to make philosophical or introspective comment, bearing in mind that the thrust of the quotation relates, in modern times, to the illegal manifestation of the gun laws which strangle legal law-abiding gun owners in Canada?

Jon..
You are :dh:

The Liberal,pinko,commie,whining,potlicking,lickspittl e,do-gooders are special interest groups that have no idea what guns are all about ....but they are inspiredand energetic and dedicated....It is just a matter of time until they legislate guns illegal and the "Gun scrappers" come around to your neighbourhood and pound on your door and take away your registered guns and crush 'em...
YOU told them where they are ..Mark my words..YOU will loose them..
NO appeal..no restitution..

If they put half the enegy into actual prosecution of the criminals and illegal aliens,and getting the trash out of the country and tighten up the immigration laws in this country ,the problems would be over..
A "No appeal" and "Instant deportation" would be a magnificent first step..
It is time to clean this country up...
If we don't get rid of the liberals this time,......Ontario keep voting them in..yet talk to anyone and they never voted for them....
How does this work..??
Unbelievable...
Old 21-10-05, 19:59
M38A1 CDN3

Alex, you replied that I was :dh: , then I sure as hell yanked your crank, didn't I?

You have just encapsulated all that is represented in the quotation.

With this issue, we had better hang together, or we'll hang individually.

I still love my country, but hate my government.
Old 21-10-05, 20:17
RIP

Default Speaking of Guns !!

I have a 1907 sword bayonet for the Mark 1 blunt nosed Lee-Enfield.What's the going price for a deactivated(my boss here won't have a live rifle in the house) display model to match up with my bayonet ?? I could haave bought one for $ 100 at a military show 5 years ago.

Signed,
Curious
Old 21-10-05, 20:29
M38A1 CDN3

Gary:

Off topic, but what the hell, eh?

For some inexplicable reason, deac firearms seem to be fading away and are therefore getting scarce, which only drives up their going price.

The above is what I've seen in Ontario. I've been trying to latch onto 2 deac (or DP) No 4 Lee Enfields for the cab of my CMP, but no luck so far.

The cost of getting a papered one and getting it deactivated is way too much money for the result.
Old 21-10-05, 20:57
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Gary:

Off topic, but what the hell, eh?

For some inexplicable reason, deac firearms seem to be fading away and are therefore getting scarce, which only drives up their going price.

The above is what I've seen in Ontario. I've been trying to latch onto 2 deac (or DP) No 4 Lee Enfields for the cab of my CMP, but no luck so far.

The cost of getting a papered one and getting it deactivated is way too much money for the result.

Probably best off finding a couple of them which are live but haven't been registered, and then having them spayed yourself. I'm sure if you found a truckful, we could sell them off here in no time at all.
Old 21-10-05, 21:06
M38A1 CDN3

Yeah, and probably best not to discuss such on this "public" forum.

Interested parties to firearms might want to look into www.canadiangunnutz.com
Old 21-10-05, 21:18
RIP

Default Jon,do you mean!!

Big brother in the netherlands of the liberal capital(nudge-nudge-wink-wink) is monitoring the forum.If so who gives a f--k(French for a seal in english)
Old 21-10-05, 22:04

Default Listen to this

This is law and fact. I am a verifier and along the way have had dozens of weapons deactivated. Although it is not widely known or accepted, prohibited or restricted weapons if "found"cannot simply be welded and thought of as deactivated. They must first be registered and then deactivated by an approved gunsmith or deactivator on the OPP list. Each Chief firearms office has a list and it is available on request. The catch 22 is of course that prohibiteds such as MG's, smg's, lugers etc are not registerable if not already grandfathered to you. If you weld it and there is a "turn in for inspection", if you could not prove legal deactivation it is subject to seizure and would be. None of this applies, of course to ordnance (cannon & artillery) as they are not registerable. However one interesting note is that thanks to
a local big time collector all .50 cal ammo possession lets one open to a possession of explosives charge. Also note that it is illegal to posses full auto parts such as auto select fire switches,
trigger groups etc UNLESS they are spares for a weapon you own which is registered. Don't forget prohibited devices includes big mags (over 5 rd. ) for any smg OR BREN. Exceptions of course are .22 stick mags, enfield mags, garands and 100 round Bren Drum mags.
On that happy note I'll leave.
Old 21-10-05, 22:22
RIP

Default Geez !! Thanks Peter !!

So,is there anyone out there who reproduces facimiles of the originals,who will not br beyond the law??
Old 21-10-05, 22:32

Default Oops...more good news

All replicas are banned and grandfathered to the owners. They cannot be produced, imported or bought, sold, loaned, given etc.
This of course covers all neat J. A. Pan types recently made.
AND...(you knew this was coming)....that neat .50 0r .30 you hang on your jeep that you made and had parkerized.
BANNED you bad boys. Now if you had a welded deac. (approved of course) original that's a different story.
Old 22-10-05, 00:08
Mr. HUP

Default For you my Canadian Friend...

For only 2 Billion dollars, you instantly become a criminal, and the real criminals get free legal services, internet, colour tv, social workers, tattoos, drugs, university degrees, time off for just being there, rehabilitation and job placement. And, to top it off, the real criminals won't register their firearms, won't have to put up with Stasi-like searches and seizures, and are laughing all the way to the next hold-up or home invasion.

The monkeys are running the zoo, and apparently are going to buy us off again with our money. My only hope is that Ontario remembers our esteemed Premier's lies and deceit, and the feds corruption.

And then pigs will fly...I gotta get a beer.
Old 22-10-05, 01:41
RIP

Default Geez RHC

Do you mean that if I robbed my local liquor store for let's say a bottle of Jack Daniels,went outside,drank it behind the liquor store,then got incarcerated in the local hooscow(jail),the government would pay for me to finish off my university education ?? Sounds good.However,don't like Jack Daniels.Now,what booze should I choose.
Signed
In a quandry

Ah what the H !! Guess I'll go get another beer
Old 22-10-05, 02:28
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Oops...more good news

Quote:
Originally posted by peter simundson
All replicas are banned and grandfathered to the owners. They cannot be produced, imported or bought, sold, loaned, given etc.
This of course covers all neat J. A. Pan types recently made.
AND...(you knew this was coming)....that neat .50 0r .30 you hang on your jeep that you made and had parkerized.
BANNED you bad boys. Now if you had a welded deac. (approved of course) original that's a different story.
Peter:

In your first post, you quote restricted and prohibited...what about welding a "found" non-restricted?

Replicas: Save me the aggravation of plowing through the Firearms Act and OICs etc, but what is the definition of "replica"? If a hypothetical person bought a notional 1:1 scale J.A.Pan plastic kit 15 or so years ago, is that person subject to the replica laws and is the item subject to seizure?

I'm asking you the above questions in the spirit of your passing on knowledge, however, being brutally honest with you, I feel that verifiers are nothing but finks for the CFC.
Old 22-10-05, 03:44

Default Fink???...Haven't heard that term in years.

Since I operate a Museum I became a verifier to make my
life easier. Without verifiers nothing gets transferred. They do it for nothing, for their own reasons.
For your information....the definition is " A replica firearm is a device that looks exactly (or almost exactly) like a firearm but is not a firearm. Under the Firearms Act replicas of firearms made after 1898 are prohibited devices."
Ouch , but that's it.
A "found" non restricted legally must be registered to you and then deactivated by an approved deactivator. Oh.....and you would haveto get a verifier to verify it (for free) before you registered it.
Old 22-10-05, 04:02
M38A1 CDN3

Peter:

Thanks for the reply. So the hypothetical guy I spoke of is SOL WRT to compliance if he obtained said item long ago, in kit form?

The museum you're talking about is most probably the QORC museum?

How does one get museum status?

You might not recall, but you and I both knew Gord Stoner...decades ago.
Old 22-10-05, 05:36

Default Reality

Actually the guy with the plastic one is OK as long as he doesn't take it to a GunShow and put a price on it and put it on the table.
Museum Status. Not hard. You must have a Real Museum, get it inspected, Fill in a lengthy application and renewal every three years, get a restricted, non-restricted, poss. & acq. license,
submit a list of all people and all the details about them that have any control whatsoever in the Museum, get a fixed location,
with regular hours, etc, etc. The CPFO's office oversee's it.
It actually isn't registered as a Museum it's a business. Transfers
etc are done by phone. I could go on.
You don't mean Sgt. Stoner. The soldier's soldier. Hell..that was 45 years ago. His influence put me in the Signal Corps with the Soldier Apprentice plan.
Old 22-10-05, 08:22
M38A1 CDN3

So, if Stoner's influence put you into the Signal Corps, then, at that time, you must have been a Green Monster, as was I for a short time.( Intake E-xx).

We racked out in BB1, and Stan the Man was School RSM.He finally went nuts, giving parade commands to the tree on the pde square.

So how did you gravitate to QOR?

Also, can you give me more info/links about getting museum status?

Regards
Old 22-10-05, 10:19
Richard Notton

Default Re: Oops...more good news

Quote:
Originally posted by peter simundson
WHAT!?

You Colonials have already copied and enacted our Violent Crime Reduction Bill?

Goodness me.

However, OUR bill covers Government certified (weld and muller everything) de-acts too in exactly the same way. Which means, for example, when it comes time to sell your Sherman then a big hole in the turret is needed and you keep the pokey-out bit, don't just think small arms here. . . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 22-10-05, 19:41
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Oops...more good news

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
However, OUR bill covers Government certified (weld and muller everything) de-acts too in exactly the same way. Which means, for example, when it comes time to sell your Sherman then a big hole in the turret is needed and you keep the pokey-out bit, don't just think small arms here. . . . . . . . . . .
Has your government been talking to the post-war German Waffen Amt lately?!?!

H.
Old 22-10-05, 21:34
Historian

Default They manage things differently elsewhere

I can remember a sign outside a club/restaurant in South Yemen in the days when it was still the Peoples' Rebublic of South Yemen that said that "it is forbidden to bring automatics into the club at weekends". On the road from the airport into Lahore (Pakistan) in the early 1990s there used to be advertisments telling you who did the best deal in light machine guns and in the Souk at Huf Huf (Saudi) stall holders would sell personalised cases for AK47s and the like. On the whole though I'd prefer Canada to any of these (you can even get a decent draught bitter in Calgary).
Old 22-10-05, 23:06
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: They manage things differently elsewhere

Quote:
Originally posted by centurion
I can remember a sign outside a club/restaurant in South Yemen in the days when it was still the Peoples' Rebublic of South Yemen that said that "it is forbidden to bring automatics into the club at weekends". On the road from the airport into Lahore (Pakistan) in the early 1990s there used to be advertisments telling you who did the best deal in light machine guns and in the Souk at Huf Huf (Saudi) stall holders would sell personalised cases for AK47s and the like. On the whole though I'd prefer Canada to any of these (you can even get a decent draught bitter in Calgary).
Aiwa, sidiqi...mafi mushkeela!
Old 23-10-05, 12:24
Historian

Default Re: Re: They manage things differently elsewhere

Quote:
Aiwa, sidiqi...mafi mushkeela!
Malesh.
Which reminds me, as well as meaning my friend sidiqi has become slang (in Saudi at least) for moonshine hooch. There was a period when somebright spark was making a small fortune retailing teeshirts with a heart on them and the word sidiqi - a double meaning, the unoficial one being I love a drop of booze. It took the religious police at least three weeks to spot this (those guys are not over bright and it also took them as long to work out the meaning of Madonna's hanky spany lyrics and ban that).
It was this same metawi that raided the only model shop in Khobar and confiscated all the decal sheets with crosses on them, German, Swiss markings etc., as being forbidden Christian symbols - they were quite comfortable with swastikas though.
Getting back to guns on the street - in Jeddah the police (ordinary not religious) were at one time issued with new sub machine guns (copies of Uzis if memory serves) unfortunately training etc was not quite up to the mark and there were a number of friendly fire incidents, shooting in the foot accidents etc. It was then decided (publically) to only issue magazines containing blanks. It was pointed out that the guns would not be much of a deterrent to the criminal classes. The 'brilliant' solution was to issue some guns loaded with magazines with live ammunition and some with blanks at the begining of each patrol AND NOT TELL THE POLICEMEN WHICH WAS WHICH!
Living and working in the Middle East was interesting but despite many legal inconsistencies its much nicer in the West.
Old 23-10-05, 15:19

I had also worked in the Middle East. I was in Iran in 1980 when the American hostages were been held, and was working in Oman in 1982 and 83.

Although Oman is located right beside Saudi Arabia, and they are both Muslim, the differences between them are almost like day and night. You did not have any of the restrictions that you find in Saudi. They had liqueur stores and bars in all of the hotels. Women did not have to cover up, and they could work and drive. One could buy gold crucifixes in the markets, and there were Christian churches.

I was also in the Philippines. Away from Manila, that place is like the Wild West. There are guns everywhere. Small stores have armed guards. Banks had guards armed with M16s sitting at tables just outside of the main door, with signs reading “Please check your guns before entering the Bank”. On News Years it seemed that everyone was firing their guns into the air. It sounded just a major war was going on. Oh yes, guns were often used to settle minor disputes.

As was said in the Wizard of Oz, there is no place like home (Canada).
Old 23-10-05, 16:47
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Canadian Gun Laws

Quote:

Go, tell the Spartans,
Stranger passing by
We lie.

Canada needs a strong Gun lobby like the National Rifle Association. In an earlier thread it was reported that the Canadian N.F.A. had imploded due to internal bickering and power struggles. I was very sorry to hear that. I was one of the first to join both the N.F.A. and the Responsible Firearms Owners Coalition in B.C. I had talked to Dave Tomlimson many times. Without a strong voice, law abiding citizens in Canada are doomed to repeat the excesses of the gun grabbers in England and elsewhere. Thankfully the N.R.A. is alive and well in the U.S! Witness the recent attempts of the Geheime Staats Polizei, sorry, New Orleans Police Dept. to confiscate all firearms in the city. They even beat up a 70 year old woman in her own house because she wouldn't relinquish her revolver! Upon hearing of the unconstitutional confiscation of legally owned firearms, faster than a Liberal could say,"Lick my jackboot!", the N.R.A. sought and received a court order to stop this activity. They are now filing lawsuits to have every illegally confiscated firearm returned to it's rightfull owner! God bless the N.R.A.! The need for a powerful advocate for law abiding citizen's right to arm and defend themselves during times of anarchy cannot be understated. To those who would deny such a right, tell them,"Remeber New Orleans!"
Old 23-10-05, 17:58
Historian

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
I had also worked in the Middle East. I was in Iran in 1980 when the American hostages were been held, and was working in Oman in 1982 and 83.

Although Oman is located right beside Saudi Arabia, and they are both Muslim, the differences between them are almost like day and night. You did not have any of the restrictions that you find in Saudi. They had liqueur stores and bars in all of the hotels. Women did not have to cover up, and they could work and drive. One could buy gold crucifixes in the markets, and there were Christian churches.

I was also in the Philippines. Away from Manila, that place is like the Wild West. There are guns everywhere. Small stores have armed guards. Banks had guards armed with M16s sitting at tables just outside of the main door, with signs reading “Please check your guns before entering the Bank”. On News Years it seemed that everyone was firing their guns into the air. It sounded just a major war was going on. Oh yes, guns were often used to settle minor disputes.

As was said in the Wizard of Oz, there is no place like home (Canada).
Oman is OK, for the record Bahrain (where there is actualy a convent!) and most of the UAE (Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc.) are in the same class and Qatar is moving in their direction. (When I was resident in Doha I ad a liquor licence and my villa was well stocked and today most hotels have bars - called libraries!). Curiously enough Iraq under Saddam was also far from dry and actually had breweries and a distillery (some of their beer was quite tasty) although in a dastardly move during the Iran/Iraq war the Iranians took out the gin facility with a missile. It was common at one time for ex pats in Kuwait to drive over the border towards Basra to pick up booze and the border guards usually turned a blind eye. The Kuwaiti royals used to run the bootleg business (and therefore hd a vested interest in keeping the country officially dry).

Its the Saudis who are the greatest fanatics although some senior members of the Royal Family do like a drop of single malt from time to time. The Middle East is no more homogenous than is Europe and no one seems to like the Saudis much.

Guns still are used to settle disputes in Yemen and I suspect that , as was the case in Northern Ireland, some people in Saudi and Iraq operating with terrorists also take the opportunity to settle some personal scores.

Your comments on the Philippenes could also be applied to parts of Indonesia. There was a spate of increased crime in Jakarta one time (about six years ago) and the police started to operate a shoot to kill approach with regard to 'the usual suspects'. The papers registered some concern where upon the head of the police made a statement reasuring everyone that the police were only shooting down known criminals. When asked how the public would know that the victims were criminals his reply was to the effect 'well they must be criminals otherwise we wouldn't be shooting them'. It seems obstructing a police bullet was a crime. Given that the police in Jakarta were some of the most corrupt in the world one was not reassured. In the end the President told him to cool it and the shooting stopped.

I guess the point I'm getting at is although here in the UK as well we have some ill thought out knee jerk legislation that stifles legitimate use of guns (such as in target shooting) it is possible to err in the other direction.
Old 27-10-05, 06:07

Default When you take away the guns

Whoa I had no idea the laws up there were so restrictive.
Here it is just the reverse.I can strap my 0.45 acp on my hip
and walk around all day.As in the days of the old west,
you still have check your gun with bar keeper.
10 years ago they passed a concealed weapons law,
you can carry a concealed weapon with a permit,
When they did robbery and stick ups dropped 30%.
Someone mentioned the old snub nose enfield, here
you can buy one starting at 79$ US.

When you take away the guns,only the bad guys will
have guns!
patrick