MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 31-10-17, 15:20

Default Bofors Gun Open Closed Indicator.

Good Afternoon,
1943 Bofors Gun 40mm
I have a bofors gun (deactivated) which I have a few questions if anyone can help.
On the side above the side door, there is a pointer, this pointer indicates OPEN or CLOSED. I am assuming this is for the breech.
If I open the breech with the hand handle the pointer will stay indicating closed. The breech is clearly open but the pointer stays on closed. I cant see how this works?Was this a later addition to the gun which was never finished? I will attempt to post a picture here asap. can anyone help?
I have a few other questions re the bofors, but will post one at a time.
many thanks
Brad.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3912.JPG   IMG_3913.JPG  

Last edited by Brad Deckard; 31-10-17 at 16:22.
Old 09-11-18, 15:58

I have solved this.... I managed to get a manual dated 1953 and it mentions this lever in full with diagram. The lever was an addition added in about 1953, the manual states this is a new modification which is being fitted to bofors guns.
The lever is an indicator to tell the operators the condition of the breech. eg open or closed. it is not a mechanical pointer which moves as the gun is operated. It is a HAND OPERATED INDICATOR. when the guns breech is closed the indicator will be pointed at CLOSED. If by hand the operator trys to move the indicator over to point at OPEN it cannot be moved. ( the cam position inside stops the lever moving to the open position. Thus the operator knows the breech is CLOSED. If however the breech is OPEN , the pointer is still pointing at CLOSED.... BUT when the operator phisicaly moves the pointer towards OPEN, the lever will move across and can be held pointing to OPEN.. thus the operator knows the breech is OPEN. basically.. if the breech is open the lever can be moved, if its closed it cannot be moved. Thus the position of the breech is know without peering inside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4314.JPG   IMG_4315.JPG   IMG_4316.JPG  

Last edited by Brad Deckard; 09-11-18 at 16:06.
Old 09-11-18, 16:06
Adrian Barrell

Well done for sorting that out Brad! It's not something I had come across.
Old 09-11-18, 16:10

Took me a few years to understand it, I was looking too hard.. why was it not moving as gun was cocked!! Now i know.. its a manual lever operated by hand!! not by the gun mechanism..

This manual also answered another question, My firing pins have TWO springs to operate them behind the striker. One big spring and a smaller one fits in the middle of the big spring.. This is normal and correct. double spring for maximum thrust. I didnt know why it has two springs, I have five of these guns and all are the same.