MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 02-05-17, 01:26
carrier mech

Default Prairie Command visit to Shilo 7 May 2017: MLU invited.

Prairie Command military vehicle collectors will be meeting in Shilo at the main museum on Sunday, 7th May morning at 10am. We will do a quick tour of the main museum, and the outdoor displays around the museum, then move over to the M101 storage building, compound, and lastly the dustbowl. Afterwards, the group will move over to my place for BBQ and drinks, as well as a quick tour through my lineups of metal. If time permits, we may trailride out to the local forest. Weather is looking good, with a balmy 24°C forecast.

I'll extend the invitation out to any MLU members that think they can make it. We are not that far a ride for some of the Eastern Saskatchewan guys to come out, and they are welcome to the BBQ as well as the tour. If some of you Ontario guys have airmiles to burn, I think arrangements can be made to get you to here from Winnipeg.

It is the perfect time of year for this. The woodticks are still unsure if it's time to come out, the poison ivy still hasn't surfaced from the ground, and as always, it's too dry in Shilo for mosquitos, although I can't say the same for Winnipeg.

If there are any queries, feel free to ask on this thread or by PM.
Old 02-05-17, 14:24
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post

It is the perfect time of year for this. The woodticks are still unsure if it's time to come out, the poison ivy still hasn't surfaced from the ground, and as always, it's too dry in Shilo for mosquitos, although I can't say the same for Winnipeg.

How true! Don't forget prairie thunderstorms, tent caterpillars, spring flooding and the annual rise in the gasoline tax!

(And people wonder how anyone can live in Canada .)

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 02-05-17, 14:44
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
How true! Don't forget prairie thunderstorms, tent caterpillars, spring flooding and the annual rise in the gasoline tax!

(And people wonder how anyone can live in Canada .)
The flooding is now so commonplace here that we don't even notice it. We have had the once in a hundred year flood 3 times in the last 6 years. One of those wasn't even the result of spring thaw, but rather a good rainstorm in Saskatchewan at the end of June.

The thunderstorms aren't a big deal, and tent caterpillers need green leaves to live on.....we are prairie desert so it is a tough life for a tent caterpillar here. We might get one or two nests of them in a season....easily destroyed.

We now have a Liberal government, so tax increases will be the norm for at least another couple years. However, it is no longer tax increases, it is "carbon tax", which somehow is revenue neutral. Someone needs to explain that one to me, unless "revenue neutral" means I will no longer have any revenue left to spend.

Last edited by rob love; 02-05-17 at 15:03.
Old 02-05-17, 20:01
carrier mech

There is a reason I can go to a surplus store and pick things off the shelf like the MB dash mounted rifle racks, or an original 1944 gas rattle, or a double sized GPMG cut-away training aid along with the M1 garand version complete with plastic bullets. I can walk about the yard and find CMP funnels, or piece together a C-1 howitzer. It is because the climate here would kill off the Ontario crowd. I remember when guys would get posted here from S. Ontario and didn't know what a block heater was, or a frost shield.

I was on the Turkish side of Cypress decades back, and we were pouring buckets of sweat in the 40°C heat. A Turkish "millionaire" (which means he made around $800 a year) was there in his long sleeves and long pants and kind of laughing at us. We told him we reached +40 back home, and 6 months later it would be -40C. He stopped laughing then.
Old 02-05-17, 22:40
carrier mech

That HJ was supposed to go off already. Guess I should read the manual twice next time. Hardly taught the poachers anything this way.

BTW, your references (to star wars I think??) are all completely lost on me. But if you read some of my exploits (the C1 story over on the G503, the 25pdrs story on this site, or way back in the 90s, my recovery story on the Bren carriers North of Thunder Bay), or the Manitoba groups recovery of the buried carriers North of Portage la prairie, you will note I, nor any of the Maniotbans, are not opposed to a little bit of work to get stuff done. And those are just the stories we Manitobans share.