MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-06-13, 02:40
Bluebell

Default Flathead oil gallery warning

A month or two back, I was talking to another Kiwi forum member about a little trap we have heard about in the V8 motor.
So Andrew, here it is:

When you decide to find another block to build up, or pick up a complete motor to fit into your vehicle,the motor may have laying inside it a problem that may give you a bad day.
As these motors shift around from truck to carrier to car, they can have their oiling systems slightly altered enough to cause a bearing failure.
In a standard car the oil path is as Henry designed it, All internal.
However if the motor has been fitted in a carrier it will have an extra drilling above the existing oil gallery tappings at the back of the block.
If your new motor has this extra hole, then there are a couple of options as to how it is set up.
On the standard "gallery boss" at the rear of the motor are two holes. One is normally (externally) plugged, and the oil pressure sender unit is installed in the other.
If you remove the horizontal plug, there may be, further in, another plug.
It is critical that this plug, is in there, or not in there, depending on how you intend to have this engine set up.
In the case of the Carriers the oil flow comes along the main gallery and out to a (full flow) oil cooler(there is also a bypass valve, should the cooler become blocked) The oil returns through the 3rd (extra) plug. and goes on to lube the main and big end bearings.
To make the oil flow out to the cooler, there is a plug in the gallery.

I am not sure about the detail between the carriers I THINK?? the riveted carriers don't have a plug because, I think the long return fitting does the job of the plug. I need feed back on this.
I understand that the Australian carrier is fitted with a plug. This plug could be a solid plug, or have a hole drilled through it and act as a restricter. I don't have the details. (a restricter makes no sense to me)
I have been on another forum where a chap kindly posted this picture. It shows the use of a "full flow" filter system, which can only be used if the third plug has been added.
If you don't have an external circuit, and there is a plug installed, then NO oil gets to the crankshaft.
I would like to see the details of these set ups from an Australian, and from a Canadian carrier, preferably from what appears original.
Looking forward to some definitive replies.
Note: the "plug" I am talking about is identified in the picture as a "grub screw"

Ron, What details are identified in that good parts book of yours?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullFlow.jpg (39.4 KB, 129 views)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 17-06-13 at 02:50. Reason: gramatical