MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 13-06-20, 05:08

Default Need 12 or 24 volt oil priming pump for Centurion

Theres a significant delay between the start of the Meteor and oil pressure coming on scale. And by significant, I mean the kind of worrying few seconds delay you get on a car after changing the filter.
I installed a small 12V pump from a Mack truck but the flow is too low to register on the oil pressure gauge prior to start so I may be getting oil to the bearings but not to the valve train.
Has anyone found a 12 or 24 volt priming pump that flows enough to at least generate a few psi with bigger engines?

Thanks,
Malcolm
Old 13-06-20, 11:06

Russian armour usually has one but not sure that that helps you much ! I might add that I have never heard of this causing problems for Meteors either in service or in private hands but it certainly wouldn't hurt to get some oil pressure before starting. An alternative is to crank the engine on the starter without the ignition on initially. It is almost impossible to flood a Meteor but obviously don't touch the throttle until you go for the start.

David
Old 14-06-20, 03:19

David,
Yeah, it's the nice preluber on our T55 that got me thinking about this. But they won't let me have it.
I've heard stories about cam lobe and rocker scuffing on Meteors due to oil getting up there slowly on start, and we have an old engine here with that type of damage, although I've no idea what the history is on it, so that may be a red herring.
I've never been a big fan of cranking to get oil pressure because of wear and tear on the starter and batteries. The planetary gear set in the starter that came on our rebuilt engine self-destructed during testing. And we have Leopards that are religiously cranked for 20 seconds to prelube the engine which sets my teeth on edge! That's a long crank. Why don't they have a preluber?
Anyway, I'll keep searching.
Malcolm
Old 14-06-20, 04:06
carrier mech

Put in an accumulator with a check valve in it, and a solenoid opening valve that will release the pressure when the starter is cranked, or by switch.
Old 15-06-20, 02:31

Now that's a good idea. Thanks.