MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-06, 11:45

Default Water Pump Rebuild

Hi all.
Lucky enough to get a kit for my C60S Water Pump, at a 1/4 of the price of a new pump so I thought I'd have a go at a rebuild. 10 ton press managed to shatter the entire casting. Hmmmm.. try again, 10 ton press+heat+amused audience=broom to clean up the remains.Supply of old pumps dwindling so time to read the book. THE SHAFT GETS PRESSED OUT FROM THE IMPELLA END....D***HEAD.
However, my tip (apart from read the book first) is drilling and tapping the impella to suit the puller (as shown in MBC2) for removing the pump fan. Touch of heat and they pop of so easily. The shaft then drops out with a cople of taps. (new impella in kit of course). Lapped the seal seat in with fine lapping paste. Job done. Love to report how well it works but just found out that the radiator is beyond repair....will it ever end?
Old 06-05-06, 00:04

Hi Richard
Before you write off the radiator, that is if it doesn't have too many holes, ie sections missing, give it a go at cleaning. I've done two completly clogged radiators. Remove the top tank, with a fine tipped blow lamp and then get some piano wire , 22guage which I got from a hobby shop. They use it for control rods in model planes. One afternoon a hrunning hose and gently work the rod down each tube. Amazed at what comes out. Solder any outside leaks, solder the top tank back on, easier than taking off, and they work better than new!!
Old 06-05-06, 02:59

Default Radiator

Not so much the plugged nature of the core but the opposite, with a multitude of small holes. Advised that if used only as a show vehicle "stop leak" would suffice, but I want something capable of more than the annual ANZAC march. Mind you the quote for a you-beaut-top-of-the-range radiator was 3X the cost of the truck in the first place.
Maybe a couple of 44's full of water bolted to the cab roof???
Cheers
Richard