MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 20-03-05, 16:37

Default Markings for 56 TPT COY RCASC 1952-53

Hello, i'm looking for markings for no. 56 Transport Company Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, apart of 25 Infantry brigade replacements for Korea. The year i'm looking for is 1952,1953 and 1954. If anyone has any pictures of the 60 CWT which was a CMP with the markings I would like to hear from you thanks.
Old 20-03-05, 17:13
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 1 RCR - C COY

Hi Ryan;

Welcome to the Forum, which Platoon in "CHARLES" Company.

Pro Patria
Old 20-03-05, 17:56

Default question

Hello,

I'm not sure if you meant which Platoon in C-COY, I am the LAV driver for 3 Section in 9 Platoon, in C-COY, with the Infantry we start with the Regiment, in our Regiment we have 3 Battalions 1 RCR, 2 RCR and 3 RCR. In each Battalion there are 3 Rifle companys, as well as support companys in 1 RCR we have A-Coy known as DUKES COY, B-COY, known as the CITY OF LONDON, and C-Coy, which is just known as Charles.

Within each Company, there are 3 Platoons, i.e, 1,2 and 3 platoons are in DUKES, 4,5,6 in B-Coy, and 7,8,9 in C-Coy, as well there is a HQ platoon and as well as CQ staff in all three companys with the 3 rifle platoons.

hope that answears your question, let me know if you have any more about the Regiment our equipment or our history, take care

PRO PATRIA!
Old 20-03-05, 18:10
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Markings for 56 TPT COY RCASC 1952-53

Quote:
Originally posted by gringo560
Hello, i'm looking for markings for no. 56 Transport Company Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, apart of 25 Infantry brigade replacements for Korea. The year i'm looking for is 1952,1953 and 1954. If anyone has any pictures of the 60 CWT which was a CMP with the markings I would like to hear from you thanks.
Ryan;

54 CDN TPT COY, RCASC - Korea May 1951 to April 1952
23 CDN TPT COY, RCASC - Korea April 1952 to March 1953
56 CDN TPT COY, RCASC - Korea March 1953 to March 1954
3 CDN TPT COY, RCASC - Korea March 1953 to November 1954

To the best of my knowledge, all of the above RCASC TPT Coys were equipped with the American GMC 2½ ton 6x6 while in Korea.

Example of the markings used by all four TPT Coys:
Attached Images

Old 20-03-05, 18:37

Default thankyou!

Hello Mark,

Thankyou for that picture it was very helpful, i'm not sure if the 60 CWT (CMP) did get over there, i'm building a model of the truck for my Grandfather (if anyone knows him) MWO. W.J. Blades CD, (RET) from the RCASC, he was a driver in 1952-53 with 56 TPT COY. In all the pictures I have of him he is next to a 60 CWT.

However its the markings I needed and thats what you gave me that was very helpful so thankyou again! if you ever come by more RCASC truck pictures please post them for me to see, thanks again

Ryan
Old 20-03-05, 19:37
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: question

Quote:
Hello,

I'm not sure if you meant which Platoon in C-COY, I am the LAV driver for 3 Section in 9 Platoon, in C-COY, with the Infantry we start with the Regiment, in our Regiment we have 3 Battalions 1 RCR, 2 RCR and 3 RCR. In each Battalion there are 3 Rifle companys, as well as support companys in 1 RCR we have A-Coy known as DUKES COY, B-COY, known as the CITY OF LONDON, and C-Coy, which is just known as Charles.

Within each Company, there are 3 Platoons, i.e, 1,2 and 3 platoons are in DUKES, 4,5,6 in B-Coy, and 7,8,9 in C-Coy, as well there is a HQ platoon and as well as CQ staff in all three companys with the 3 rifle platoons.

hope that answears your question, let me know if you have any more about the Regiment our equipment or our history, take care

PRO PATRIA!
Hi Ryan;

Thank you for the 'breakdown' of an Infantry Regiment and Battalion.....

You however forgot that the Regiment currently actually has four Battalions and a Regimental Headquarters, so it should be (your quote above) "in our Regiment we have" 4 Battalions, 1 RCR, 2 RCR, 3 RCR, 4 RCR and a Regimental Headquarters (RHQ The RCR).

Cheers

Oh!, I think I forgot to mention that I'm Retired from the Regiment...Pro Patria
Old 20-03-05, 20:05

Hello,

Sorry I didn't know you were in the Regiment, I wouldn't have gone into so much detail about the breakdown. I was trying to explain it in the form for someone not in the Forces to understand.

I never forgot that 4 RCR is a part of the Regiment, as they are. I was trying to explain through use of what I know which is the Regular Force, as I joined when I was 17 right out of school and into the RCR over four years ago so I was never a reserve, and I make it a point never to talk about things I don't understand.

I'm not sure how 4 RCR runs, so I didn't want to mention them because I do not what structor they have when it comes to numbers, i'm not sure how many companys they have or platoons. I was trying to be helpful to you and answear your question to the best of my ability.

All the best,

Ryan

Pro Patria
Old 20-03-05, 20:20
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Hello,

Sorry I didn't know you were in the Regiment, I wouldn't have gone into so much detail about the breakdown. I was trying to explain it in the form for someone not in the Forces to understand.

I never forgot that 4 RCR is a part of the Regiment, as they are. I was trying to explain through use of what I know which is the Regular Force, as I joined when I was 17 right out of school and into the RCR over four years ago so I was never a reserve, and I make it a point never to talk about things I don't understand.

I'm not sure how 4 RCR runs, so I didn't want to mention them because I do not what structor they have when it comes to numbers, i'm not sure how many companys they have or platoons. I was trying to be helpful to you and answear your question to the best of my ability.

All the best,

Ryan

Pro Patria
Hi Ryan;

No problem, I was doing a bit of 'leg pulling' . Many years ago I served with 7 Platoon, CHARLES Company, 1 RCR. While Regimental employed, I served with 1 RCR, 3 RCR and RHQ The RCR, I retired in 1997.

I'll see what else I can dig up on 56 CDN TPT COY vehicles used.

Cheers
Old 20-03-05, 20:44

Hello again,

Hey no problem , I figured you were pulling my leg, I was in 7 Platoon C-Coy for 6 months when I was doing work up training for OP Athena. If you can dig anything up about 56 TPT COY RCASC, that would be great, take care for now, all the best,

Ryan
Old 20-03-05, 21:39

Default Ryan glad to see you got some responses

Hi Ryan

I was pleased to see your post, hope the forum readers will be able to provide the information you need.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 20-03-05, 22:54

Yes,

its been very helpful so far, as you can see I got the markings for the RCASC in the above picture. So thank you again for sending me the info for this site, all the best

Ryan
Old 22-03-05, 01:33

Default 4 RCR

Mark! Thanks for the e-mail. I have had the honour of serving with all 4 of the Battalions, and Mark and I served together in 1 RCR London ... well all I can say is the Recce Patrolman course we were on was a real *&#-drive... and Mark knows what good times we had........

4 RCR is an Infantry, Army Reserve unit which comprises of 2 Rifle Companies S and T Coy and a Bn HQ Coy. I was the Ops WO there from 1998 to 2002... They have a website but I not sure of the address, however it has a long and distinguished past, and a group of outstanding soldiers.

Pro Patria

Craig Tanner
Oromocto NB
Old 22-03-05, 01:48
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: 4 RCR

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Tanner
Mark! Thanks for the e-mail. I have had the honour of serving with all 4 of the Battalions, and Mark and I served together in 1 RCR London ... well all I can say is the Recce Patrolman course we were on was a real *&#-drive... and Mark knows what good times we had........
Gee...I'm surprised you can remember that far back........ But, NO!, I haven't forgotten the Recce Patrolman Course either....., or my time in Recce Platoon...... , and especially the good times ..... I wonder if Bill Norman still has his 'BLACK BOOK' that he kept on me.......probably...

Cheers

Pro Patria
Old 22-03-05, 05:14
M38A1 CDN3

If you 031s, Tanner and Tonner were Recce Pl, do you remember WO Ken Ekstrom, 1RCR?
Old 22-03-05, 14:29
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: WO Ken Ekstrom

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
If you 031s, Tanner and Tonner were Recce Pl, do you remember WO Ken Ekstrom, 1RCR?
Billy Pye was the Platoon WO when I was with Recce. Ken Ekstrom doesn't ring a bell with me Jon.

Cheers
Old 22-03-05, 15:37

Default It's Been A While

Good Morning Mark and Jon! WO Pye was the Recce Pl WO that I remember when I was in the BN, although it has been a few years, I don't remember a WO Eksrtom. I knew a Terry Ekstrom, 2RCR and then 3RCR Germany, now retired and living in NB I think.

Craig Tanner
Old 22-03-05, 19:09
M38A1 CDN3

Mark, Craig:

Ken Ekstrom, Recce Pl WO, retired 1976 fm 1RCR. He did 3 tours in Cyprus as Recce guy.

His brother, 2RCR, is Jerry, not Terry. He lived in NB until the 50s and now lives in Gananoque.

Ken knew Billy Pye, but Ken's service time most probably didn't overlap your time in.

All the above is from a phone call to Ken, who is President of our local Legion Branch.

Pro Patria, Velox Vigilans Versutus, Ar Son Ars Duthchais, etc, etc, etc.....

Regards
Old 22-03-05, 19:28
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: thankyou!

Quote:
Thankyou for that picture it was very helpful, i'm not sure if the 60 CWT (CMP) did get over there, i'm building a model of the truck for my Grandfather (if anyone knows him) MWO. W.J. Blades CD, (RET) from the RCASC, he was a driver in 1952-53 with 56 TPT COY. In all the pictures I have of him he is next to a 60 CWT.
Hi Ryan;

Could you post one of these pictures. Haven't found anything on the Transport Compaines (Nos. 54, 23, 56 or 3) using anything but American pattern vehicles while in Korea.

Cheers
Old 22-03-05, 20:10
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Mark, Craig:

Ken Ekstrom, Recce Pl WO, retired 1976 fm 1RCR. He did 3 tours in Cyprus as Recce guy.
Hi Jon;

In 1976, Recce Pl, along with the rest of Cbt SP Coy had their Pl lines down in "U" Block, here is Wolseley Barracks (just inside the "In Gate", at that time), the Rifle Companies lines and offices being around the parade square (up at the other end of camp), and with the Battalion being the size it was, if you were in a Rifle Coy, you didn't really know the Sr NCOs in Cbt SP Coy, you might know them by face, but that would be about it. Even in the Rifle Coys, you really didn't know everyone, just those more or less in your Pl/Coy. I wasn't posted to Recce Pl until the late fall of 1979, by which time Bill Pye was the Pl WO. I don't think it was until 1981 that Cbt SP Coy was finally moved up (from "U" Block) to join the rest of the Bn around the square, when we were moved into the 'old' dining hall on the southwest corner of the square, which worked out good, because the 'MESS' was right beside us , but it did mean, that Friday afternoon 'Recce Pl O GPs' at the 'Ox Box' had to be curtailed for awhile..... , or at least until we figured out how the rest of the Bn wouldn't miss us......

Cheers