MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 13-12-11, 15:48

Default Database of Running CMP Changes

Hi All

In another thread - HUPs IN STRANGE PLACES http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...?t=7277&page=4

Bob Carriere just posted the question
Lift rings.....??????
Did they have lift rings on 45 HUPS......?

Well it got me thinking, over time on MLU we have discussed when such and such changes were made. Does anybody have this as a data base or list?

If not can we collect the data and put it into a simple form?

Here is the information I'd like to see, please add what other basic information I've missed.
  1. Date of Change
  2. Models - example Pattern 11,12,13, C60S, F60L, CGT etc
  3. Nature of change - example change from Pattern 12 to Patter 13 or no wheel lift flanges to having lift flanges
  4. Manufacture(s) involved - Ford Chevy etc
  5. Reason for change (if known)
  6. Source of information, historical documents, date of manuals or parts lists, observation, etc

I know many of these points have been discussed over the long history of MLU but putting this information together in a single data base/list would be helpful to new members of the CMP collecting obsession as well to us confirm long time collectors/nuts.

If somebody already has this list compiled how about sharing it. If not lets get started.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 13-12-11 at 17:15. Reason: Expanding on the idea
Old 13-12-11, 16:31

I don't have a list compiled, but some of the information can be taken from the parts list that make statements about part number "A" used to serial number "X", replaced by part number "B" used between serial "X+1" and "Y" and then by part "C" used from serial "Y+1" etc.
Since the serials listed often include a digit for the year, it is possible to tell the "official" year of the change although there are cases of trucks being found with features that don't match (eg. civilian pattern dash with 1945 production tags mounted on it- either someone took the effort to move data plates to keep the serial number with the truck when changing instrument panels from new to old pattern or the factory was using up old part stocks).
The mix and match nature of rebuilds can let a cab with earlier features be found on a chassis with later features creating an apparent mismatch of features within a truck.
Another thing that can cause confusion is the continued use of "early" parts on some models while others produced on the same date had "late" parts. An example of this is the frame mounting brackets for the towing attachment. The "early - under frame" brackets were retained on late C15A wireless (aluminum house body) trucks and water tank trucks to provide clearance for the steps and taps respectively after the change to "late - within frame" brackets had been made for many other types. If only the frame is found you could incorrectly think it was early production based on the one feature.

Given that some models had unique features, is it worth splitting the proposed database by model???? The examples that come to mind are the C15TA and C60X. They share the 270 engine (and the engines were set up differently in some ways) but not many other parts at first glance and each one has quite a few features that are different from the more common C15A C60L. Another "misfit" is the CGT, 60cwt on the 101" wheelbase.

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 13-12-11 at 16:39.
Old 13-12-11, 17:16

Default Suggestions Noted

Hi Grant

Good points and I've altered the information to be collected accordingly.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com