MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-12-03, 20:18
former Resident Historian

Default Dr Gregg's family?

Does anyone have any details of Dr Gregg's family please as I would like to contact them about his publications? Was there not a son please? An address would be helpful.
Old 30-12-03, 21:07
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: The Greggs

I have the son's acquaintance, David, although it's been a while since we've seen each other. PM (or email) me with what you need to know.

Geoff
Old 30-12-03, 22:42

Default Book repro

Geoff, thanks. Apart from the need to sort out about copyright issues especially of Sid Swallow photos, I would like to broach the subject at last of reproing an updated set of the books. I had the honour to speak to Dr Gregg and acquired a signed cop of all three books, direct. I have the last copy of the "Europe" book that he had. I am pming you as well.
Old 17-01-04, 14:42

Default Thanks

Thanks Hanno, Geoff, Chris. I have e mailed Mr Andrew Webb accordingly.

Basically all WW2 photos and in fact any 1949 and earlier photos are OUT OF COPYRIGHT. If you publish National Archives photos there is no problem but they like you to cite a reference anyway in their format, with picture number. Therefore as the original photos are out of copyright they can be used, and so Dr Gregg would not have had any legal problem. Sid Swallow owned numerous prints which he lent some to Dr Gregg, some to Rolland Jerry, and no doubt others. He died in 1981. However he probably did not own any copyright as the originals would have been taken for the Canadian DND and rights would vest in the National Archives or the relevant Minister. Now that there is no restriction it's all academic.
Old 26-04-04, 00:11
MVT Member 11001

Default Copyright for Imperial War Museum photos

I have been reading the threads relating to photo copyright on MLU. Am I right in assuming from David Haywards comments that all WW2 photos including those in the IWM London, are out of copyright? I have quite a few from the IWM that I bought 25 years ago, mostly of the Italian Campaign which could be useful in answering members posts but I am not sure if this would breach the IWM copyright if I attached them.

Larry Hayward
Old 26-04-04, 00:43

Default Copyright

The IWM photos are now covered by the new '75 years' rule, so are in copyright now BUT the IWM will listen to overtures for publication sometimes without demanding a fee. Thus it is always sensible to ask them beforehand. That said the use in a forum such as this may amount to 'educational use' and is unlikely to cause offence anyway.
Old 13-04-20, 15:16
MVT Member 11001

Default IWM copyright

Its amazing that this thread was started 16 years ago!

I wonder now whether the IWM will have lost their copyright this year regarding WW2 photos and those taken before?
Old 13-04-20, 17:54
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hayward View Post
Its amazing that this thread was started 16 years ago!

I wonder now whether the IWM will have lost their copyright this year regarding WW2 photos and those taken before?
Larry, here on MLU we often drag old threads up from way back. Often the guys who started these threads are no longer with us, sadly.

Another sad thing is that many archives (still) claim copyrights, possibly to retain control and revenue from publishing these photos on their websites.

Of course, having all these online image banks are of tremendous help, but they come at a cost.