MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 14-03-09, 17:29
Terry

Default tire size survey ?

morning all

out of curriosity what would one say is the largest tire a person could put onto a 20" 60CWT wheel ?

I have my F15A but it has 20" wheels on it with 9:00x20 tires so currious if anyone especially the overseas boys could chime in as Ive seen alot of bigger more modern tires and treads on some of there CMP's.

If the OEM tire size on a 60CWT was 10.50x20 could a person go 12:50x20 and still be able to get the rim together and put on a F15A ? ........ I dont even know the width of a 30" wheel anyone know ?

Id love to see any examples , just kinda thinking outside the box as I may end up some where down the road getting DOT approved tires as Im sure none of these military tires meet DOT approval for vehicle inspections.

Its a Canadian thing ........

Just currious ......

1942ish F15441-M
Old 14-03-09, 21:13
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Tyres

Because they were relatively cheap and plentiful a lot of people in Australia have fitted 12.00-20 tyres to their blitzes. On the Fords the one on the front right will polish the end of the pitman arm and make an annoying noise in the process when on full left lock, so that is the maximum size you can go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBlitz View Post
morning all

out of curriosity what would one say is the largest tire a person could put onto a 20" 60CWT wheel ?

I have my F15A but it has 20" wheels on it with 9:00x20 tires so currious if anyone especially the overseas boys could chime in as Ive seen alot of bigger more modern tires and treads on some of there CMP's.

If the OEM tire size on a 60CWT was 10.50x20 could a person go 12:50x20 and still be able to get the rim together and put on a F15A ? ........ I dont even know the width of a 30" wheel anyone know ?

Id love to see any examples , just kinda thinking outside the box as I may end up some where down the road getting DOT approved tires as Im sure none of these military tires meet DOT approval for vehicle inspections.

Its a Canadian thing ........

Just currious ......

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 14-03-09, 21:22

Default My C60S had a mix of 11:00 and 12:00

To your question about what size tires can be mounted on C60S or C60L CMP rims, I have been using 11:00x20 US Non Directionals for years on my CMPs and my 1942 C60S which came out of French NATO stocks had a mixture of tires on it including 2 original run flat tires and 2 Michelin one of these was a 11:00x20 and the other 12:00x20. Yes the truck did tend to go in a circle

I would as a question though, what is the width of your rims at the beads just to make sure that they are the same as the larger CMPs? They probably are but lets check.

The other is what is your under fender clearance looking like with your 9:00x20 tires. Check both vertical and wheel at lock to lock in turning. Also remember to consider in clearances at full spring compression on the bump stops, and one wheel up and one down. I think you may find that you will have a rub problem. Also be sure to check the clearances of the brake lines. My Chevy C60 needs the springs on the rubber brake hoses to insure that they do not touch the tires at full wheel turning lock and full rack of one up one down.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 14-03-09, 22:28
Terry

Thanks to both of you for the replies, well sounds like 9:00x20 it is , actually they are cheap to buy, look a nice size on it and as far as DOT well we will see when that time comes.

Thanks ........

1942ish F15441-M