MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-09-06, 18:24

Default Canadian Decal

Does anyone sell copies of the Canadian Decals found attached to doors on late war CMP's?

Also when were they introduced (1944)?
Old 25-09-06, 20:00
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Neil, is this the one you're referring to? If so, a chap in southern England had some made a few years back - I have one of these and it's really well-done. I have thought of having them reproduced (shall have to talk to the originator), but the fact is, do you have any proof they were put on CMPs? I've seen an original Mk.II* carrier with one on it, but that's all (in addition, of course, to all manner of military equipment). Any info appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 25-09-06, 22:46
carrier mech

Clive Law's book on the Inglis Hi-power has 3 or 4 pages dedicated to the lend lease decal (put out by the Mutual aid board) including a copy of the letter sent to the various manufacturers indicating their availablility and sizes. The letter was dated Oct 5 1943.

There was a guy on gunnutz out of Calgary who was making up strips of 8 decals for $10 in the size required for the pistols. He was using decal paper which you use with an ink jet printer to make the decals. Apparently it is available for model builders.
I installed a decal today on a deactivated Inglis I just mailed out.

Rick Yuke in Moose Jaw picked up a Dodge APT about 10 years back and the lend lease decal was still peeking through the civilian paint on the hood.
Old 26-09-06, 09:07

Geoff

My Mk11* Carrier still has them on both sides, and I have seen other examples as well.

From memory my Carrier is March 44 so I think we can say that they were a standard fit on Mk11* Carriers.

I will have to check back through my files, but I am 99% certain there are pictures of them on the doors of C15TA's.
Hence my request for information on sources.

I would suggest from this that they were standard fit on late war CMP armour.

Last edited by Neil Ashley; 26-09-06 at 11:52.
Old 26-09-06, 12:58
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Decal

In the early 80's , I purchased a " new in the box " Chorehorse , with all its spares , made in Canada , by Outboard & ? company .

The chorehorse has a decal on it . The box of spares has a decal on the lid . The tool box ( inside the spares box) has a decal also .

The boxes are in a matt brown finish , the chorehorse is a green finish . All the tags were on it , even a little tin of oil was there .

The model type decal paper here , is printed with a laser printer , it won't work with a ink jet printer . I thought of doing it also, about ten decals on a sheet .

I have seen the decal on a No. 19 wireless set also .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 26-09-06, 14:44
carrier mech

Your likely right on the type of printer, it was quite a while back when the discussion of how to make them occured.

If I recall, the chorehorses were made by the Johnson Outboard marine corp.

The bulletin refers to 4 standard sizes of the decal; 6", 3" 1-1/2", and 1". It would be kind of neat to be able to buy a sheet with a selection of each. Then we could start sticking them to everything.

Back in 2000, as my unit was preparing for Bosnia, we had ordered in extra Inglis High Powers to go over with. All showed up heavily packed in grease, and with their decals on the front strap. The young gunners were a bit surprised to learn how old the current issue sidearm in Canada really is.
Old 26-09-06, 18:15

Note decal on door.

I am supprised that no one is manufacturing these decals now.
Attached Thumbnails
c15ta pic.jpg  
Old 26-09-06, 22:24
RIP

I might be the only guy who actually has full-size samples of each size. The decal used on the pistols is much nicer than the others in that they use the colour gold instead of the orange used on larger decals. I have a few strips of pistol decals (8 per strip) while the others are all singles. These others would be easy to reproduce and I am prepared to loan one to anyone who wants to get these made up - with one proviso. There must be something on the decal to show that it is not original. This can be an extra line, a mis-spelling in the Russian or Chinese characters or some other method.