MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-07-07, 11:44

Default Is This a CMP Tow Rope

I purchased this rope recently from a 'Junk Shop'.

It has D^D 1941 stamped on the 'single hook' (with leather strap).

The two short chains with rings look like they would spread to attach to the towing rings located on CMP front bumper.

Can anyone let me know if it is for CMP's or is it a generic/general purpose rope.

Last edited by Stuart Kirkham; 17-07-07 at 11:54.
Old 17-07-07, 11:53

Default tow rope

Tommy
The twin chains and rings may suit a vehicle with twin towing horns as in some jeeps and American vehicles.

The Gmc towing chain has twin chains on one end and a bar that fits between the twin chains so the pull is on both sides of the chassis.

Jim S.
Old 17-07-07, 12:01

Default Rope

I stand to be corrected but theres a rope very similar to this one thats generally seen attached to the shield of a 25 Pounder

Dave
Old 17-07-07, 12:46

Your absolutely right David. After your post, I went looking for a photo and found this one.

Old 20-07-07, 12:15

TommyK
Sorry mate, I haven't got your PM. If you haven't a need for the 25lber rope, or unloaded it already, I'm in the market for one to add to the CES on the A.M.V.C.S's 25 lber. We have just a plain length of rope on it at the moment I'm on connell@westnet.com.au
Thanks
Murray.
Attached Images

Old 23-07-07, 23:03
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Out drag ropes; hold fast!

The quote from Rudyard Kipling's "Screwguns" gives the game away. You have found an artillery drag rope c. WWII. The hook with leather strap is usually put through the 'eye' on the wheel hub, the leather strap simply acting as a guard to prevent it bouncing out between heaves.

The other end with the two chains has an interesting purpose: the 25, 6 and 17 pounders all had small metal cleats welded to the outside edge of the wheel rim... the small loops at the ends of the chains could be hooked over the two lowest cleats and the rope passed vertically to the top most cleat and then horizontally to the detachment. On heaving, the rope acted as a lever with the topmost cleat as the fulcrum thus rotating the wheel towards the heaving detachment (its hard work and can lead to the "heaves" as well! ). This technique was useful in deep mud and was a variation on drills from the wooden spoked wheel days. Modern gunners have forgotten this useful technique and simply jump into the bog and try to push on the slimey wheels! Our grampas weren't so dumb!

Before you part with it (if such is your plan) please post the length as I am making some up right now and am missing that small piece of info.

Ubique! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 24-07-07, 14:53

Thanks Gunner as I was having a hell of a time finding out the info you have just posted. I couldn't for the life of me work out how it all worked.
Now I do.

I have given the rope to a good home but will endeavour to measure the length ASAP.
Old 25-07-07, 11:22

Gunner,
Yes thanks for the info you posted, I had wondered what those lugs on the wheels were for. I have the rope at the moment. I haven't measured it exactly yet but it is as long as my shed which is 30feet. Thats the rope, the chains are 12inches each.

I admit I confuse easly, you say the chains attach to the botton lugs and the rope goes over the top lug. The rope seems too big to fit inside the top lug, These lugs all curve inwards and the chain ring would only hold in the rear lug (or front lug if being pulled forward). The photo below shows how I suppose the rope fits. Would a rope be need for each wheel to drag the gun in a straight line.
Can you unconfuse me?
Thanks
Murray
Attached Thumbnails
img_4372.jpg  
Old 25-07-07, 13:17
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by MurrayC
Gunner,
Yes thanks for the info you posted, I admit I confuse easly, you say the chains attach to the botton lugs and the rope goes over the top lug. The photo below shows how I suppose the rope fits. Would a rope be need for each wheel to drag the gun in a straight line.
Can you unconfuse me?
Thanks
Murray
Like so..... (That is why the last 12in is chain, not rope. It would fray on the steel lugs). The 2 chains on the rope are to "leapfrog" the lugs, ie when one chain has turned the wheel a halfturn the other lug is placed on the lower lug and keep pulling..
Attached Thumbnails
img_4372-2.jpg  

Last edited by Tony Smith; 25-07-07 at 13:27.
Old 25-07-07, 13:25
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Out drag ropes; hold fast!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
The other end with the two chains has an interesting purpose: the 25, 6 and 17 pounders all had small metal cleats welded to the wheel rim...
Ubique! Mike
The 6pdr rims:
Attached Thumbnails
6pdr-1.jpg  
Old 25-07-07, 13:57

Thanks Tony.
The lugs on the 6lber jut staight out with slots cut in them which will hold the ring secure and looks a very good system of using leverage to revolve the wheel.
Unfortunately the lugs on this 25lber curve inwards and have no slots to stop it sliding off and I would not like to rely on the ring to stay on when trying to haul it out of the mud.
Murray
Attached Thumbnails
img_4370.jpg