MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 22-06-17, 06:25

Default G749 Picture and info thread

I started this thread looking for pictures of the inside of the M207 Command truck. We can continue the thread by posting pictures of all the G749 series of truck. From the M133 to the M222 water truck, show us your deuces.

We're hunting for all deuce stories and pictures ncluding the deuces that cleaned up Kosmos 945 and hauled the radioactive debris to two locations for storage. It's not too early to talk about that is it?

I have some information that a few of the M207 CDN Shop Vans would have been set up with a bed and communications and I want that. Any interior pictures of the back are appreciated. My M207 Shop van has a bell mount in the cab with a cable running to the box so any insight on it's use is also appreciated.

With pictures, size does matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck 1 M135.jpg (11.8 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg fleet.jpg (91.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg M207 ST.jpg (182.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg step m207.jpg (245.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 23-06-17, 18:30

One field dental van, the other a command wagon, my tractor and the M211's

army trucks 002.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

IMG_20160725_164328.jpg

IMG_20160725_164408.jpg
Old 23-06-17, 19:47
carrier mech

I only have one runner, and a parts truck not worth taking a photo of. Still lots of them available in this neck of the woods, some untouched since release at the local military scrapyard including a couple of the van type.

Mine sat untouched with the valve cover off for almost 30 years. It was a low mileage war stock truck that had a new engine and the valves stuck back in the day. Two weeks after I got it, it purred like a kitten. Since then, new tires, brakes (seals and bearing repack at the same time of course), a quick paint job and the truck happily goes through a liter of fuel for every mile the truck moves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robs deuce.jpg (57.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-07-17, 01:01

Default G749 m135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
One field dental van, the other a command wagon, my tractor and the M211's
John, were the van trucks complete inside and did you ever snap pictures of the rear interior?

We're real curious about the entire G749 story including their after service life. The G749 had many configurations in service and must be one of the most modified after service vehicles in Canada. From barge pulling, manure spreading, firefighting, rutabaga hauling, Maligne Lake ship removal truck, coal mine service, well drilling trucks, the G749 has a story to tell!

Recently inquiring with GM Canada to help research G749 NO. 1, we're hoping they respond soon with more cool information. We all love the stories of those who peddled the Deuce so all pilot stories appreciated.....if you want to see more of the ladies!

This little lady is stepping off the M211 CDN that resides at our G749 farm. Thanks to one of the greatest troops I've never met, I know it served in Penhold and has a cold war past. "Attach Stuck White Knight Here" is painted on the back so this truck may have pulled on an ambulance.

The other truck is Goose the M135 CDN in front of the M1010. Goose served Wainwright, went to Calgary and is now a parade queen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1010 deuce.jpg (8.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg army11.jpg (180.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-07-17, 01:30

Default M135

The date of delivery on Goose is March 16, 1956 which is the same day as my Dad's birthday in 1927. That's how I got away with dropping the first 6x6 on the farm.
I found Goose in a salvage yard, from a gentleman who would recover deuces with his wife. It had a modified service box on the back, was painted white and needed what most 60 yr old trucks need.

Dad turned 90 in March and now loves our fleet of Deuces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad goose.JPG (71.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-07-17, 02:50

The dental van is factory outfitted with sink, water heater, cabin heater, various cabinets and drawers. It looks like there was one dentist chair bolted about center in the floor. It also has the cable bell setup so you can get the drivers attention. The command wagon has benches, fold up tables etc. They are both packed with various other vehicle stuff right now but when I get a chance to begin cleaning them up I will get detailed pictures.

John
Old 07-07-17, 01:51

Default M220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
The dental van is factory outfitted with sink, water heater, cabin heater, various cabinets and drawers. It looks like there was one dentist chair bolted about center in the floor. It also has the cable bell setup so you can get the drivers attention...
M220 Dental unit specs...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M220 Dental unit 1.pdf (208.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf M220 Dental unit 2.pdf (192.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-07-17, 02:23
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post

I know it served in Penhold and has a cold war past.
Do you know what year it left Penhold?

I was a mechanic, and sent there in 1984 in support of the Air Cadet Camp. The base was having an airshow, and I got tasked with dragging an old forlorn deuce out of the disposal compound so the Chinook could have something to lift and carry. Possible it was this same truck. Too many years have passed for me to remember the paint scheme on the one I worked on, but I did salvage the interior rear view mirror from it. I had never seen the mirror installed on any other Canadian deuce. The mirror still resides not too far from me.
Old 07-07-17, 05:22

Wow what a great find Wayne, thank you