MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-16, 14:48
Alastair McMurray

Default No 22 Wireless Set?

Could someone tell me about the No22 set please. I know a reasonable amount about the No19 set, but see reference to a No22 set on some carrier stowage diagrams. What is a No22 and what is the difference between a No22 and a No19. Is the No22 portable?

Many Thanks,

Under Restoration:
1944 No2 MK2 Loyd Carrier - Tracked Towing
1944 Ford WOT6 Lorry

The Loyd on Facebook
Old 01-03-16, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac View Post
Could someone tell me about the No22 set please. I know a reasonable amount about the No19 set, but see reference to a No22 set on some carrier stowage diagrams. What is a No22 and what is the difference between a No22 and a No19. Is the No22 portable?

Many Thanks,
Best take a look at the Wireless for the Warrior website.

However, simple terms, the WS19 is vehicle mounted, or can be demounted on a board, but is not designed to be portable any great distance. The setup comprises Power Supply, Transmitter/Receiver, Aerial Tuner and Headset junction (control) box.

The WS22, can however be man-packed, the Transmitter/received carried with similar strap assembly to the WS18 has an integral aerial tuner would be carried by one man, with another man following along with the Power Supply Unit and the batteries... both connected together with a power lead... a further man is required to operate the set... and not something I'd relish having to carry too far!

Hope this helps

Tim
Old 01-03-16, 17:41

This is the basic set.

David
Attached Thumbnails
ws22_front-01.jpg  
Old 01-03-16, 22:38

While I think of it. Take a look at the upper Operators Lamp in this photo. It has a black, half round hood on it. Anyone know a source of supply for that item, or provide more detailed information about it?

If any of you have tried using the lower style Operators Lamp in the dark, you will understand why that hood is a great idea. Even with the solid red lens in use, the lamp gets very annoying, very quickly.

David
Old 01-03-16, 22:38
Junior Password Gnome

...and this is the set with most of the ancillaries.

http://www.keithwatt.pwp.blueyonder....useum/ws22.htm

(Yes, Keith is still looking to collect the remaining bits!)

Chris
Old 01-03-16, 22:45
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
While I think of it. Take a look at the upper Operators Lamp in this photo. It has a black, half round hood on it. Anyone know a source of supply for that item, or provide more detailed information about it?

If any of you have tried using the lower style Operators Lamp in the dark, you will understand why that hood is a great idea. Even with the solid red lens in use, the lamp gets very annoying, very quickly.

David
The shade comes ready fitted to the WS22 and WS62 lamps, but for some reason the WS19 lamp was supplied without it. It should not be difficult to make shades up out of thin sheet brass or tinplate.

Chris.
Old 02-03-16, 01:36
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default WS22 (Aust.)

The WS22 was also manufactured here , although based on the British set , it was a totally new revised set specifically designed to cope with jungle -damp conditions.

The set utilized the then new PVC coated wires , special wax was used to seal the fragile RF coils . I have a recorded talk given by a chap who was in the army wireless research depot in Burwood, Melbourne. He said they immersed the set in a tank of water , blew the water off with compressed air , and turned it on, it worked ! The 122 set , the same set but with provision for XTAl control of the TX ... a very nice set to use . I had many QSO's with a 122 set on CW and AM .... one memorable evening I had three CW contacts into USA on the 40mx band .

Having owned the British set ... can I politely write , it's a piece of junk compared to the Aust. set . On standby rx, the Aust. set only requires a very small power , in terms of watts

The manual is here
http://tosty.id.au/122-Manual/

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 02-03-16 at 01:44.
Old 02-03-16, 01:48
GM Fox I

I got this lamp from 'Johny Canuck' not so long ago. If you want construction details on the hood, just ask.

Quote:

David
Attached Thumbnails
SIG87.jpg  
Old 06-03-16, 04:51

Hi Bruce.

Nice lamp. As a 22-set entity, the lamp must be ID'd somewhere in the ZA Numbering system as a complete assembly, as well as the individual parts thereof. The hood is so darned practical it would seem logical it could be ordered for use with the basic lamp, regardless of the wireless set.

Oh, wait a minute. That would imply logic exists in the military beaucracy.

David
Old 06-03-16, 12:52
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Hi Bruce.

Nice lamp. As a 22-set entity, the lamp must be ID'd somewhere in the ZA Numbering system as a complete assembly, as well as the individual parts thereof. The hood is so darned practical it would seem logical it could be ordered for use with the basic lamp, regardless of the wireless set.

Oh, wait a minute. That would imply logic exists in the military beaucracy.

David
Well, I've just looked through the WS22 and WS62 parts lists and neither of them include the operator's lamp, which is something of a bugger. The Working Instructions for the WS62 shows the lamp with its metal shade and also the ultraviolet adapter, but does not give a component list.

It will exist, somewhere, and will have VAOS numbers for every single piece.

I may be able to find you a shade (or a spare WS62 lamp (,operator, No.6B)) somewhere.

Chris.
Old 06-03-16, 13:50

That would be great, Chris. No rush for it.

Thanks, David