MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-09-21, 17:02
Brian Asbury

Default New book on Canadian Contract MB's

I thoroughly enjoyed reading a recent publication The Canadian Wartime Willys-Overland 241, 242, 505 Contract MB written by Michael P. Reuvekamp of Ontario, Canada. It deals with the features that are particular to the Canadian contact MB's: data plates, axle light, lifting rings, Dyneto wiper motor, blackout headlight and many other unique features. It is very well-illustrated with historical photos, in-progress restoration photos and examples of fully restored Canadian MB's. The colour photos are abundant, very detailed and well-presented with concise captions. This 148-page book is a must for any enthusiast of Canadian Contract MB's. It is distributed by AK Interactive.
Old 23-09-21, 18:11

Thanks for the review of it. I had seen it come up on some plastic model pages.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 24-09-21, 14:16
Those were the days!

I must congratulate Michael Reuvekamp for his work and can highly recommend the book for anyone interested in the Jeep, especialy the Canadian variants.

Michael might have had the model builder in mind, but he himself has been in the military vehicle hobby since many years and has restored a few Jeeps.
The vehicles pictured in the book were actually restored by him. Although ak-interactive is aiming at the modeller, the book is a great reference for a "real life" enthusiast as well.

It also goes into the history behind the Canadian Contracts and some facsimile documents in that respect are also included.

The format is not my preferred book format, but that is following the other AK-publications. Oh, the lifting ring backing plates mentioned on the front bumper are most likely incorrect, but the French book JEEP Willys MB "slat grill" canadienne, however, features the same "error"!

I have a very complete war time Jeep library (taking at least 6 feet of shelf!),
but this book should not be missing in it! Well worth the money!

C.D.LV 119965 / Motor 121093 / 2-16-42
C.D.LV 120292 / Motor 121840 / 2-20-42
C.D.LV 170355 / Motor 177024 / 8-28-42
Old 24-09-21, 17:41
MLU Administrator

Thanks Brian and Lars for the review of the book, for which Wim Sikkelbein gave us the heads-up in the CDLV jeep thread.

A comprehensive description of the Canadian contract jeep was long awaited by me, and based on your recommendation I will buy a copy

PS: see a preview on Google books
Old 24-09-21, 23:56

That sounds like an interesting book. Thanks Brian for the heads up....and Lars and Wim

Quote:
A comprehensive description of the Canadian contract jeep was long awaited by me, and based on your recommendation I will buy a copy
Hanno, shall we order 2 and share postage?
Old 10-10-21, 16:24

I was given a book by the author Michael Reuvekamp and have to say that beyond being a great addition to the bookshelve it has a wealth of information and explanations on the Canadian use of the various contract jeeps and what makes them unique in the wartime jeep world. Mike put a lot of effort into this book and the result is a "must have" .
Old 12-10-21, 12:51
MLU Administrator

Default JEEP Connaissance et restauration, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars R. View Post
Oh, the lifting ring backing plates mentioned on the front bumper are most likely incorrect, but the French book JEEP Willys MB "slat grill" canadienne, however, features the same "error"!
I have only seen some small previews of the French book JEEP Connaissance et restauration by Robert Séjourné, Lucien Lallemand and Denis Le Priol. It was published by Editions Military Technic in 2017 and seems to have filled the niche until Mr. Reuvekamp published his book. It would be interesting to lay them side by side for comparison and get all the nitty gritty details right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep-connaissance-et-restauration 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	125085 Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep-connaissance-et-restauration 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	125086 Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep-connaissance-et-restauration 3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.9 KB