Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 11-04-03, 14:25
Vets_Dottir

Question Flat Feet and Service duty?

Hi All;

I have a QUESTION that I'd really like someone to
answer for me if they can and will:

If a person wanted to fight overseas in WW2 but had flat-feet, WOULD they have been denied overseas and action duty AND would they be given tasks "at home" and be allowed to "up their rank as they went" if qualified? (It's important for me to have a real answer for this one, so I hope I can get an answer?

Old 11-04-03, 18:29
Art Johnson

Default Flat feet

Carman, early in WW II, I believe it was 1941 the Army devised a system of medical classification for soldiers. It was called PULEMS and was brought in to use because the old system was not flexible enough. All the jobs in the army were assigned a PULEMS profile with numbers running from 1 to 5 in each catagory. The catagories were; Physical, Upper extemeties, Lower extremeties,
Eyes/Ears, Mental, Stability. An Infantry man would normally be 1s across the board but a 2 correctable was acceptable for a man who wore glasses.
A soldier with flat feet would not be suitable for the infantry, but could be a driver in the Service Corps, or maybe a mechanic in RCEME.
Old 11-04-03, 18:43
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Flat feet

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
.....A soldier with flat feet would not be suitable for the infantry, but could be a driver in the Service Corps, or maybe a mechanic in RCEME.

THANK YOU for replying to my questions ART. I really appreciate it!

So.....would someone who stayed home, with flat feet, and served as a Sargeant at home, be considered a Zombie? (your post gives me the impression that he still could have served overseas in some capacity other than infantryman?)

Sorry for ragging on this subject, but I just really want to be as clear as possible.

Take Care. Carman
Old 11-04-03, 19:25
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Flat feet

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
So.....would someone who stayed home, with flat feet, and served as a Sargeant at home, be considered a Zombie? (your post gives me the impression that he still could have served overseas in some capacity other than infantryman?)
Karman... you have to understand that "Zombie" was an unofficial, derogatory name coined by those already serving (and dying) overseas. Those HERE who volunteered for overseas service but were not sent, do not fall into that category. Hence, if your sergeant HAD volunteered for overseas service, but was held back for reasons of health or training puposes or whatever, he would not be classified as a Zombie. Those who were fit and fully capable of assuming their positions overseas, but who declined to go, are Zombies.

Interestingly, the whole CANLOAN program was based upon just such a premise. There were hundreds of junior officers cooling their heels here until the CANLOAN agreement was drawn up; those wishing to enter the fight volunteered in droves, because it was the only way they were going to get there.

And they suffered 75% casualties as a result. Every last one a volunteer.
Old 11-04-03, 19:47
Vets_Dottir

Default Geoff:

Thanks for the information Geoff. I'll absorb it

Take Care...C
Old 11-04-03, 22:05

Carmen,

just to further this along, My grandfatehr had served with the Canadian Artilery Survey wing. He did volunteer but was not allowed to go overseas because he needed strong glasses to see. He really wanted to go, mainly because all his buddies who went through training together went over. He really dispised the zombies becasue they were phisically able to go over but chose not to go.

But he did spend his time doing important things in Canada. On an interesting note, he did get volunteered while on leave, for the Pacific Force. He ended up spending some time in, I think, in Louisianna trainning and impressing the Yanks on how to survey and sight artillery fire.

Jordan baker
Old 11-04-03, 22:46
Vets_Dottir

Thumbs up

Thank you to ALL of you who are answering me here. I'm getting an amazing education over and above getting my answers as well.

This whole issue of Zombies is a hot one, isn't it? In case some of you reading this thread have not clued in as yet, my questions are for personal reasons, not just curiosity. I'm getting the drift, at last, of who would be considered a Zombie, and why, and who wouldn't, and why not.
I guess what I'm saying, is that I CAN DIFFERENTIATE NOW!!! Cool. Gettin smart here!(grin)

I really didn't know anything about Zombies, never even heard the term, until I received an email from someone who mentioned it. Then I had to find out exactly where that label fit.

I know, for me, that I'd need to know the individuals real motives for not going to war before I could form a strong opinion for, or against, their reasons.

And on that note.... I'm dieing to read the latest posts to this days wackier threads :-)

Take Care.

Carman
Old 13-04-03, 18:32
In Vino Veritas

Default Flat feet....

....was not the ony reason for not being allowed overseas. Ralph's brother, Orvil, was a CN Engineer and went to apply for the forces with Ralph but was rejected. He was considered vital to the war effort here in Canada and therefore not allowed to join. I suppose he could have quit and reapplied as unemployed, but when your government asks you to continue to support the war effort by NOT quitting your job, the dedicated individual would continue as before. Though not much respect was given those who were male, heathly and not in uniform. In some repects it could be tougher than joining, I imagine. No support of your squad, scornful looks , taunts , etc.
Sean
Old 13-04-03, 18:53
Vets_Dottir

Default Hi Sean.

It's interesting to find out all about how, who and what a Zombie is "defined". As to how "perceived" Zombie's would have been treated, I know it wouldn't have been pleasant. I'm well acquainted with techniques that let a person know they've failed to measure up. Bullying has never been a good thing, in my eyes, but it happens. Sadly. More sad when it's unjustified.

Hot topic. I know there are no easy answers or quick fixes for man's inhumanity to man. I just hope it progresses to healthier and more cooperative ways, etc.

I read a saying somewhere one that I really always remember:

"Suffering is not good for the soul,
UNLESS it teaches the soul how NOT to suffer"

another I made up is: "Like for like only creates more of the same. Is that what you truly want things to be?"

Vengeance... a natural response to outrage I guess.My daughter, in her teens, got me there. Blew my self-image I can tell yah! OUCH!

Oiy... Carman:
Old 16-04-03, 15:01

Default More...

My wife's grandfather actually tried to join up in 1940 or '41 but couldn't due to medical reasons. He was actually given a lapel pin and "pass" that declared him unfit for military service, I guess to keep the red caps off his back for being a war-avoider. The inlaws still have the button and info....very interesting indeed!

Tim
Old 16-04-03, 19:35
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: More...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Sullivan
My wife's grandfather actually tried to join up in 1940 or '41 but couldn't due to medical reasons. He was actually given a lapel pin and "pass" that declared him unfit for military service, I guess to keep the red caps off his back for being a war-avoider. The inlaws still have the button and info....very interesting indeed!

Tim

Hi TIM;

Thanks for your little story It's interesting to hear about the lapel pin and "pass" :-)

My youngest daughters father is American and he wasn't allowed to get into active duty. I don't know the wars, or his service history, but I think it was Vietnam or Korea time that he served. He's 90% blind now in one eye and had a little vision loss in the other. When he told me he served "at home" he seemed "apologetic" when he told me and I knew he felt badly.

I guess a lot of people wanted to get right involved but were denied because of health (physical or/AND psychological I presume)

BY THE WAY.... me being a short thing
(A L M O S T 5'2" .... (be nice!!!!)
would they have turned me down for being too
short?

Carman
Old 09-05-03, 20:18
former Resident Historian

Default Overseas serving civilians

I was amazed a few years back at the number of civilians employed by GM of Canada and Ford of Canada who were sent overseas. Some apparently were just behind the front lines in some cases, training military personnel in servicing and repairing.
Old 19-05-04, 23:04
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Overseas serving civilians

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
I was amazed a few years back at the number of civilians employed by GM of Canada and Ford of Canada who were sent overseas. Some apparently were just behind the front lines in some cases, training military personnel in servicing and repairing.
Wow, over a year later I reply here! HOW did I miss this one?

I'm really surprized to hear about civilians being "hired" and sent overseas "AS" civillians to work with/for the forces? Did these people not have ANY kind of forces recognition, status or benefits? This raises all sorts of "what if..." questions in my mind.

Carman
Old 20-05-04, 02:33

Default Flat Feet

Hi Carman
My father tried to sign up in Sept. 39 with all of his relatives. He had flat feet and the Hasty P's told him to go home to the farm. My Uncle Guy Price couldn't get in the Hasty P's because of his bad teeth but he went to Hamilton and joined up there. Another uncle who lied to get into the first war and was gassed, lied about his age again and got into the second war. He got to England and they found out he was on a dissability pension from WWI. They made him a mail clerk and his photo is inside the cover of Farley Mowat's book The Regiment. Dad kept trying and they wouldn't take him. " you can't march!" He had started the dairy business in Bancroft so by 44 they told him he was vital.
He always hated those flat feet, and yes he passed them on to me.
Barry
Old 20-05-04, 03:04
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Flat Feet

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C
Hi Carman
My father tried to sign up in Sept. 39 with all of his relatives. He had flat feet and the Hasty P's told him to go home to the farm. My Uncle Guy Price couldn't get in the Hasty P's because of his bad teeth but he went to Hamilton and joined up there. Another uncle who lied to get into the first war and was gassed, lied about his age again and got into the second war. He got to England and they found out he was on a dissability pension from WWI. They made him a mail clerk and his photo is inside the cover of Farley Mowat's book The Regiment. Dad kept trying and they wouldn't take him. " you can't march!" He had started the dairy business in Bancroft so by 44 they told him he was vital.
He always hated those flat feet, and yes he passed them on to me.
Barry
Wonderful post here Barry ... amazing stories! Sorry about the inheritance if it means your feet won't get you where you want to go

I've often trid to find out if Farley's MOWAT lin is linked to ours. Lotsa MOWATS in my tree and where most of the Scottish blood comes from Mowats .

Didn't read the Regiment ... but if I come across it I'll look for your Uncle's face

Carman
Old 20-06-04, 15:28
Hilary

Default Flat Feet?

Hi Carman,

I cant give you the answer you wish to know, but what a good question, do you have flat feet? I certainly do , and I would hate to think that I would have been prevented from going overseas etc,

If I had to show my poor feet , I would just die of for sure

Best Wishes,

Hilary
Old 21-06-04, 00:58
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Flat Feet?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
Hi Carman,

I cant give you the answer you wish to know, but what a good question, do you have flat feet? I certainly do , and I would hate to think that I would have been prevented from going overseas etc,

If I had to show my poor feet , I would just die of for sure

Best Wishes,

Hilary
Hi Hilary,

Nope. Don't have flat feet. I'd prefer that to arthritis, beleive me. I was told my dad was very disappointed. His brothers went over though. My dad served at home, in Sargeants capacity (doing what I don't know... perhaps training?)

Today being fathers day is nice to see this thread revived...because I'm thinking a lot about my dad today. He passed away in 1972,age 52... cancer, when I was 18, so I didn't get to hear his stories.

Ah yes, what I would give for more time with him.

This MLU forum ... is LOADED with incredible threads full of information and history, history, history, and for comic relief, insanity
I can tell by the tones of some of your posts already that you fit right in here and shall have NO problem holding your own.

Glad to have another woman in here, men are SO unbalanced without women

Happy Yappy
Old 21-06-04, 01:11
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Flat Feet?

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Glad to have another woman in here, men are SO unbalanced without women

Happy Yappy
Oh PLEASE : : ....I think I'm going to be..........., but on second thought.....GONE FOR A
Old 21-06-04, 01:26
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Flat Feet?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Oh PLEASE : : ....I think I'm going to be..........., but on second thought.....GONE FOR A

Old 21-06-04, 01:55
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Flat Feet?

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D

NO COMMENT
Old 21-06-04, 02:46
Vets Dottir

Default Flat Feet?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
NO COMMENT
Hey Mark... we'll soon be banned for wasting so much space on silly-ness. Better put some "history" in with our comments?

Like ... how old are you REALLY?

have to go... C