MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 01-09-09, 05:00
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default CMP C60L Chev 1944 and 1945 Trailer for sale

Saw this on US eBay today. Item number: 280391427564
Old 01-09-09, 05:27

Thats the C60L that Marc Montgomery owned up till a few years ago.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 01-09-09, 10:39
MLU Administrator

Nice buy for anyone in Canada, go for it!

Quote:
CMP C60L Chev 1944 and 1945 Trailer
Vehicle Description
1944 Canadian Military Pattern CMP, 3 Ton and 1945 10 CWT Trailer.

I've decided to downsize my collection and therefore, regrettably, I am auctioning off the following package.

VEHICLE: 1944 Chevrolet 3 Ton CMP C60L
Vehicle Model: C-60488-M-GS-15
Chassis Number: 3844335159
Chassis Model: C-60443-L-W
Engine: 235 Cu. In.
Mfd. Date: May 3 1944

The C60L you are currently looking at is featured on “Maple Leaf Up” under “Vehicles”. It was purchased and shipped to Vancouver and has been here since 2005. The truck appeared at the Grand Opening of the New Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, jam packed with Veterans.
Since arriving in Vancouver, this vehicle has participated in a multitude of parades and displays throughout the Vancouver area always with a World War Two Veteran riding as a passenger. We were also honoured during a Remembrance Day Parade to have 86 year old Dick Pierce of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles ride in the observers hatch to the extreme delight of spectators and himself. Dick drove a 3 Ton CMP onto the D Day beaches on D Day plus three.
Now for some vehicle details… As mentioned the engine is a 235 Cu. In. with an original 15,500 miles. It is still in 6 volt mode and starts and runs like a charm. Probably due for a tune up though. The battery is new this summer and is the maximum 6 volt model, (Industrial). The master cylinder was replaced, (thanks to Dan Caldwell). Brake shoes on the front are good however; the back ones will need to be replaced sometime in the future.
The transmission and clutch are all fine. The 4 wheel drive has been taken off the vehicle but, I will provide that mechanism with the sale.
This model is also very rare as it comes with the 20,000 lb power take off winch. The original cable is still in the drum however, the "eyelet” end was broken off and I still have it to go with the vehicle.
The tires currently on the vehicle are 11:00 X 20’s, (regular size should be 10:50 x 20’s), and with this sale I will also include the original 10:50 X 20’s WWII Chevron Pattern Tires.
The window curtains are included in the auction. Some new plastic inserts could be added to clean them up. Also included with the truck are the following.
· Six POW cans – no keys for the locks.
· Large tow rope on the front of the vehicle
· Maintenance Manual
· Spare parts Manual
· Canvas Top
Overall the vehicle is in extremely great shape for its age. It is currently licensed and insured in British Columbia, Canada and has been stored in a heated airplane hangar.
What this baby needs is someone to do a little TLC restoration on it, including wiring. You won’t find a better, almost museum quality piece, to work and play with. It’s definitely… without a doubt… A real show stopper!!

The 10 CWT G.S. Trailer.
To finish off your CMP collection, as part of and included in this auction, is a 10 CWT G.S. metal tub trailer. Now this trailer is extremely RARE, as I know of three existing ones in Canada.
The unit is designed to be towed by either a CMP or Jeep. So if you have the jeep and you buy this package, you’re set for life!
The frame is original and the body tub is a reproduction. It comes with the canvas tarp and is also equipped with standard 4 prong, 12 volt trailer light. The lights on the back are currently held on with magnets and can be easily removed.
The unit also comes with a copy, (not original), maintenance manual.

Buyer is responsable for obtaining quotes for shipping and or pick up!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask but for God’s Sake, look at the photos first before asking.
REMEMBER this is a package deal for BOTH items. Good Luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	!BZcNkmQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKkQEjlLmTodMBKmuI)NCOw~~_3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	29884
Old 02-09-09, 00:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I don't think you'd even notice you're towing that Trailer while driving, and certainly not when you're reversing!
Attached Thumbnails
Van BC 1.jpg   Van BC 2.jpg  
Old 02-09-09, 07:22

Default Thanks Hanno!! TIME TIME TIME

Hi Hanno: Thanks for posting the ad on MLU. I'm a screw up when it comes to computers. Yes...Canada...GO FOR IT! Currently...not one Canadian bidder on line!!!! Sad! It's been a great pleasure having this puppy around, as it demands respect on the road! A couple of notes... the horn on this unit is a Ford, but I have the proper CHEV horn for it. Just needs the bracket to hold it on the engine. I know certain Aussies will be p/o'd about a Ford horn on a Chev truck...but the ford horn is louder!! I also have the carry all bag for the window curtains to go behind the seats, plus a canvas radiator cover. Both units are NOS. I am currently taking delivery of the last surviour proto type, HUP ZL MACHINERY, wireless repair truck, this month. I've decided to focus on that unit, as it's about 80% complete and just needs the cosmetic finishes put to it. I can only drive one truck at a time. God willingly, the 3 Tonner goes to a good home. And to my friend..Phil Waterman...I promise you, before the end of September , I will get you Mathew Halton's son, David Halton's, email address. Cheers and Good luck...Robert
Old 07-09-09, 04:01
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default CMP C60L Chev 1944 and 1945 Trailer - Final Bid

This truck closed today on eBay US not having had a bid that exceeded its reserve. The final bid was a paltry $6,600 USD.

Regards,
Jim
Old 07-09-09, 05:41

Default paltry...to say the least!

Thanks Jim for the comment: I think your word "paltry" sums it up, very nicely! Just could be a sign of the times. I was surprised where the bids came from. First bid was from England, but he never came back! And no bids from the beloved "down under" crew. Come on....you guys eat these things up like vegemite!! Anyway, thanks for all concerned, either looking or bidding. Cheers....Robert
Old 07-09-09, 05:53

Default 44 chev cmp and trailer ebay

Hi Jim: Further to my last comment, the fact that I had the rare trailer on the back to cover the ass end of the 3 tonner, I had thought of putting my last BSA folding paratroop bicycle on the front end to cover that portion. Kind of a nice balancing act! And not like the s""t that was recently on Ebay. Anyway....food for thought. Once again, a paltry cheers...Robert
Old 17-09-09, 00:16
1942 C15A

Just outta curiosity, anyone know about how much was the reserve the Seller was asking ????

Cheers, Johnnie.
Old 30-11-09, 02:09

Default 1944 chev c60l for sale

Gentlemen: I have decided to downsize, so up for your serious consideration is my 1944 Chev C60L. Excellent shape for its age. Drive it tomorrow! 6 volt, 235cu in. engine. It's the former "Convoy" 3 tonner, as featured on this website.
Comes with 6 pow cans, canvas and bows plus repro. maint. manual.
Has prof. reconditioned gas tanks, 6 volt electric fuel pump, slightly used 1100 X 20 tires, plus turn signals.
Has been stored in heated storage to protect it from the elements.
PURCHASING CONDITIONS: SERIOUS BIDDERS ONLY, NO TIRE KICKERS...NO TRADES. Best offer over $10,000.00 US. Can negotiate storage till weather permits.
I will send any interested parties a file of photos for your consideration. You can email me c/o of this forum or directly to rob.mor@shaw.ca.
Good luck and thanks....Robert
Old 14-03-10, 20:28
Kostas

Default C60L on Ebay Canada

There is a 1944 CHEV CMP C60L GS on ebay now..

Price has reached 2.425,00 $ as for now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1944-...item414da018f8

Click image for larger version

Name:	_CHEV CMP C60L GS RARE_canada_2425 dollars_14-03-2010.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	33983Click image for larger version

Name:	_CHEV CMP C60L GS RARE_canada_2425 dollars_14-03-2010 b.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	33984Click image for larger version

Name:	_CHEV CMP C60L GS RARE c.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	33985Click image for larger version

Name:	_CHEV CMP C60L GS RARE d.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	33986
Old 15-03-10, 00:57
GM Fox I

Default Marc's old CMP

I think that this is Marc Montgomery's restoration. It's gone from Montreal to B.C. and is a great truck. I really hope it finds a stable home and someone to love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haridimos View Post
There is a 1944 CHEV CMP C60L GS on ebay now..

Price has reached 2.425,00 $ as for now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1944-...item414da018f8

Attachment 33983Attachment 33984Attachment 33985Attachment 33986
Old 15-03-10, 01:13
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I think that this is Marc Montgomery's restoration. It's gone from Montreal to B.C. and is a great truck. I really hope it finds a stable home and someone to love it.
Don't think so... the CL numbers are different - Marc's original truck was CL4231217 and this one's CL4231944. Also, the markings are different. Marc also had smaller NDTs on his, although they may have been upgraded. Looks like a great truck, though!
Old 15-03-10, 01:30
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Don't think so... the CL numbers are different - Marc's original truck was CL4231217 and this one's CL4231944. Also, the markings are different. Marc also had smaller NDTs on his, although they may have been upgraded. Looks like a great truck, though!
Ah, but it's been re-badged and the '1944' at the end of the CL number looks suspicious to me. All the other details point to it being Marc's truck: the winch, the 235, the B.C. location, the slightly faded centre panel on the tarp...
Old 15-03-10, 05:12
RIP

Default c60

hi.i agree with bruce.it was for sale a while ago on ebay plus the trailer.they didnt meet the reserve.i believe its owner now is rob morrison who bought it from marc.regards jim.
Old 15-03-10, 08:37

Default Marc Truck

Yes it is Marcs Truck the owner is still Robert Morisson and the pics were taken at the Airport in Pitt Meadows B.C the truck is for sale frequently on the coast here.
Jeff
Old 16-03-10, 01:26

Default Yes, Yes and Yes!

Hi Guys: Yes, it is my truck (formally Mark Montgomery's). Some of the details have been changed to suit the west coast. The serial number on the door is from "thin air. Don't have alot of time to play any more, that's why it's on the blocks. I have to say the Europeans showed some serious interest in the unit. Surprised more Canadians didn't. So it will probably be listed again in a week unless, current negotiations work out. Shame though, the last one on Ebay (Winnipeg) is going to Florida. No slight taken against the USA. Cheers...Robert PS: Jim I hope your feeling better and you get back on track real quick...Robert
Old 01-03-11, 15:29
HUP guy

Default C60L & 10 cwt trailer for sale on Calgary Kijiji

link to Kijiji:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ263971766

vehicles are located near Vancouver, B.C.
Old 02-03-11, 02:36
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Damn fine truck, although it had the original mirrors when sold

Too bad its for resale, it was 100% complete vehicle, the only change was the better 235 engine.

I have to say Im somewhat dismayed to hear its listed on US ebay and other foreign locations. As a very reliable and strong runner I thought it was going to be part of a growing group collection which was in the final stage of becoming a federally recognized museum (and therefore with specific regulations regarding collections). I was told it would therefore be available for shows and parades to ferry veterans and show a larger audience of Cdns one of the (now very rare) uniquely Cdn designed and built vehicles, as a tangible indication that Cda had its own history and wartime contribution distinct from that of the US, and Great Britain. This is something that not many Canadians know or realize,especially given the dismal amount of history taught in our schools in the last couple of decades. I was also led to believe that as part of the museum collection the truck would remain "permanently" in Canada. These were the reasons I was convinced to sell it.

Not that it wouldn't be appreciated and well maintained by a new owner outside of Canada, and especially so by members of this forum, but it is an example of Cdn history and in my personal ownership experience, VERY much appreciated by the veterans who saw it and who rode with me on many occasions, for the fact that a citizen (not govt) took the time to restore this piece of their history as a signal that somebody younger did remember and honour their service and sacrifice. Most had never seen one of these since the war and were astounded that it survived. I -and they-had many a very touching moment thanks to this truck.

The gentleman who sold the truck to me --president of his local antique car club-- understood both the rarity and historical significance of this truck to Canada. It had long been his town's firetruck, and when it came time to retire it, he in fact circumvented municipal rules and pulled strings to get the truck himself so it wouldn't be auctioned off to the public to a very uncertain fate. He subsequently passed over many many other offers (at higher prices) before selling to me as he wanted to be sure it would be restored to its original military state. and not end up eventually as a work truck, or cut down farm vehicle, or possibly leave the country. As an antique restorer he also was well aware of good intentions on restoration and knew something of the difficulty in locating parts, so he was also very concerned about a restoration started only to be later abandoned-scrapped. Locating original parts was in fact EXTREMELY difficult and took years (eg correct front rollers, orig winch cover, POW carriers, proper fabrication of the somewhat tricky wooden hatch gasket with its odd angles and curves, etc etc) I was glad to show him his faith was well founded and he was very pleased to see the restored truck on a couple of occasions at events at a veterans hospital, before he passed away.

Its "potential" sale outside Canada would be a loss, and represent many lost opportunities to show and inform Canadians of their unique history and vital contribution during WWII. To our US friends, I cant see that it has any historical relevance to Americans , and would be just an interesting curiousity. To Brits, Anzacs and Europeans (eg Holland-Norway) it has more relevance, example having been in use by them, and as the general population is likely slightly more aware of Canada's important role in WWII than are Canadians, but when it came time for me to regretfully sell, in spite of an offer by Geoff to help me list it on int'l outlets, this was not done as I made it clear to all that I did not want this rare truck to leave Canada. I admit it was a bit frustrating as there was not a rush for the truck, but that is also why it took so long to sell. It is one of probably a very tiny handful of this model (3-6 maybe?) restored and running still left in this country. ..maybe I should buy it back for the price you paid for it?.

note to Phil W..I see Halton almost every day. works in the office down the hall.

Last edited by Marc Montgomery; 06-03-11 at 17:55.