MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-12-22, 15:11
F60S

Default Remove valves from a Ford flat head

Introduction
This note covers my method of removing the inlet and exhaust valves from a Ford 239 cubic inch V8 engine dating from about 1946. It was the first time I had attempted this operation.
Background
In the period 2015 to 2019 my two brothers and I restored a CMP Ford F60S LAAT in order to attend the 75th anniversary commemorations of the D-Day landings in Normandy.

The F60S LAAT
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2085~2.jpg  
Old 01-12-22, 15:15
F60S

Default Valve removal cont.

Whilst we very much enjoyed the week away we were concerned about the performance of the engine. Progress slowed to 12 miles per hour or less given the slightest incline.
Granted the truck is fitted with the 21 stud 85HP engine rather than the 95HP engine it should have, but we reasoned that if the Chevrolet version of the LAAT had 85HP and could still keep up while weighed down with gunners, ammunition and, not to say the least, a Bofors gun, then our engine should have been able to cope.
We expended much effort in trying to find out why but could not solve the problem. This was partly because of the lock downs. In addition I cannot get to the truck readily due to personal reasons.
So we made the decision to buy a correct engine and I would rebuild it then we three could fit it.
When Mike Ebeling died and his collection was sold off we negotiated the purchase of a 24 stud engine for this purpose only to find that it was one of the relatively rare crossover engines having 24 studs but the smaller bores of a 85HP engine.
Recently we bought the engine we had been searching for.
Work commences
Because I can never resist a project, my garage is always full so I cleared a small space in the middle of the floor and placed the engine on a trolley there. Dismantling was easy as far as the externals (water pumps, heads, manifolds etc.) were concerned. The only real difficulty was removing the starter motor. I could not get the Bendix past the flywheel. Given this I realised I would have to drop the sump so I followed the advice in the maintenance manual and made a lifting jig that attaches to the inlet manifold flange. I have since been told that the starter motor will come out with a bit of jiggling.

Lifting the engine off the sump
Attached Thumbnails
lifting the engine off the sump.jpg  
Old 01-12-22, 15:25
F60S

Default vakve removal cont

Having removed the starter motor, cleaned the sump and replaced it, I decided to remove the valves because they would need grinding in.
Removing the valves
These engines have been in service in their millions for getting on for 90 years so you might imagine that an accepted and acceptable method of getting the valves out would have been agreed upon by now. If this is the case then I wish someone had told me. I read the manual and watched a number of YouTube videos and was left feeling that there must be a better way.
The problem arises from the fact that these engines had valves with the so called mushroom foot. (The latest versions of this engine have straight stemmed valves). This means that the valve will not pass through the valveguide hence the valveguide is split in two down its length. The result is that the whole assembly of valve, valveguide, spring and collet has to be removed in one piece as shown in the illustration below.

The valve assembly
Attached Thumbnails
Valve assembly.jpg  
Old 01-12-22, 15:28
F60S

Default valve removal cont

Why does the valveguide not get pressed out of its bore by the pressure of the valve spring? Well the designer thought of that. He incorporated a “C” shaped clip in the groove shown above.
This clip is secured in a recess in the block.
In order to remove the “C” clip it is necessary to move the valveguide down away from the block to allow the “C” clip to emerge from the recess in the casting. Once this is done, the clip can be removed and then the valve assembly can be removed upwards. This last step is not straight forward but more of that later.
Valves in position
Attached Thumbnails
Valves in position.jpg  
Old 01-12-22, 15:33
F60S

Removing the “C” clip
All the above is easy to say but there are many words written and YouTube videos made to describe the removal of the “C” clip.
The official method is to use a “pickle fork”. These are obtainable from various sources at a price. The pickle fork comprises a bar up to 2ft long with a spade end with a slot in it.
The idea is to wiggle the spade end through the coils of the valve spring and engage the slot in a slot provided at the lower end of the valveguide. It is indicated in the illustration above and, if you say to yourself, “I cannot make it out”, that is true to life as it is difficult to see. The pickle fork is then used to lever the valveguide down until the clip is revealed and remove it.
In my case I got four clips out this way, the valveguide failed to move in eight positions and the end came off the valveguide in another four positions.
This eventuality is meat and drink to the YouTube videos and learned articles and I realised that I was following in the footsteps of 90 years worth of mechanics tales.
Suggested solutions fell into two camps: the first was to remove the “C” clip by brute force. To do this you are expected to get in there with just the right size of Mole grip, clamp the tab on the “C” clip tightly and then drive the clip out by hitting the Mole grip with a hammer (up to 10 times according to one article). Though this system clearly works for them, I could not grip the tab firmly enough with any of my tools.
Another way was to make a special ”U” shaped tool with a hook on the end, hook it in the hole in the tab of the “C” clip and hit the tool with a hammer (again 10 times was claimed to be sufficient).
The second solution was to get in there with a cut off disk, cut the valve spring and then the valve stem. The valve can then be removed and the spring discarded. The valveguide can then be tapped down into the valve chamber and removed.
An alternative method of removing the “C” clip
I could not employ the brutal method of removing the “C” clip so considered the cutting method. I even bought a small air powered cut off tool as none of my angle grinders would get into the restricted space in the valve chest. However I could not bring myself to use it firstly because it is brutal and secondly I hate the idea of all the grinding dust in my engine. Instead I decided to push the valveguide down using the valve. This is a time consuming and fiddly method but, if the time saved in not having to remove the grinding dust from the engine, and the cost saved of not having to replace the valves and springs, then it becomes more attractive.
I started by making some stops to put under the valve head. I first turned a piece of brass 1” diameter by 1.5” long and bored a 7/16” hole through the middle. The result was then set up in the (homemade) vertical slide and a 7/16” slot milled down the side. Setting up was a bit tricky but I used the traditional point-in-the-chuck and a-rule-on-the-work method to ensure that everything was properly aligned.
Milling the slot
Attached Thumbnails
Milling the slot.jpg  
Old 01-12-22, 16:03
F60S

Then it was cut into three 0.4” lengths. The idea was to slip the three pieces under the head of the valve into the valve port. The first piece was generously tapered to ensure that it could not catch on the small land round the top of the valveguide. The second piece was left square top and bottom and the top piece was relieved better to fit the underside of the head of the valve.
Employing the valve stops
First the engine is turned until the valve opens. By means of a pair of screwdrivers, the valve is levered fully opened. It is important to avoid bending the valve by levering unevenly under the head of the valve.
The valve stops are slipped onto the valve stem one by one in the right order. It is important to avoid the stops sliding down the exhaust port. A little grease in the valve stop gives it sufficient stickiness to avoid this.
The valve is then released to settle on the stops, the engine turned to get to the back of the cam lobe, and the head tapped with a hammer to force the valveguide down by 1/8” and the “C” clip can be removed. The valve head is lifted once more and spacers placed between the tappet and the foot of the valve. The engine is turned to bring the tappet to the top of the cam lobe and the spring, which will bind if sufficient packing has been introduced, will push the valve, valveguide and spring out. It may take two goes, introducing more packing after the first go but the assembly will pop out. Have a care. Place a blanket over the valve for this last stage as, otherwise, the assembly will travel some distance across the garage as it did in my case taking a chip of paint out of my pride and joy, a 1948 Riley.
Afterword
If you have read this far you may have been shouting at your computer saying, “But there is a much easier way”. If so then please tell me, I have another of these engines to tinker with.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-22, 20:47
VMVC

Default Valve Guide Removal Tool

Hi Alastair,

Interesting following your efforts to remove the valves.

Here is an interesting vintage tool, Australian made, by the Litchfield Tool Company of Sydney.

Similar to what you did by getting the valve up and sliding the "spoon" under the head to knock out the two halves.

I actually never used it as my engine is a '46 with the straight stems. Once the valves and springs were out a brass drift and a hammer got the solid guides out.

Added photo of homemade spring tool. No need to spend lots of money for an expensive commercially made pickle fork. I made one from a $5 pry bar (made from spring steel) how appropriate, with a notch ground in the end. May need to strategically place a block of wood behind it for a fulcrum but it worked for me.

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0234.JPG   IMG_0232.JPG   IMG_0080.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 01-12-22 at 21:15. Reason: added spring tool
Old 01-12-22, 21:23
F60S

Default valve removal

Thanks, Jaques.
That is just the sort of information I was seeking. I had seen reference to a tool but no description nor picture,
I will now think how to make one.
Thanks again,
Alastair
Old 01-12-22, 21:34
VMVC

Default Valve guide removing tool

Glad to help.

I believe Litchfield Tool Co. is still in business. Pity they cannot dust off the old dies and strike a few hundred of the tools. They would have a ready market worldwide.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 01-12-22, 23:02
Bluebell

If you plan to strip out an engine that has been sitting for a long time, a vigorous soaking with a penetrant pre the job can help a lot.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 04-12-22, 01:14

Default Ford Flathead Knowledge

The site most popular with the Early Ford V8 Club international is Fordbarn.com
All the knowledgeable/expeirenced fellows are there. Dave N
Old 04-12-22, 01:32
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Ryan's

Used to be an old tool/engineering supply shop in central Melbourne called Ryan's ? They sold the flathead Ford V8 valve removal tool , I think it was their own design, a specially shaped length of rod that was hollowed out to fit around the valve head/stem from above so you could tap the split guides down.

They had an old fashioned overhead trolley system for the cash, you paid at the counter and a trolley would take the cash up to a mezzanine floor and the trolley would bring back your change . I remember buying a valve seat syncro seating tool there.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad