MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 28-01-06, 13:36

Default Vehicle WD Nos

Hi to all -

First time on this Forum for ages...

As some of you might know, over the past few years I have been attempting to put together the definitive WD T number series - linking T No to vehicle to unit. I have several reasons for trying to do this; first, someone said it would be impossible; second, it makes a very good means of identifying all those pics and films by unit; third, I do not believe it has ever been done before.

My principle sources are from the National Archives, trawling through the myriad of War Diries and other folders. I appear to have a 1 in 10 hit rate - ie 1 in 10 files produce good listings of numbers held on strength by units.

In recent months, I have been looking at some of the Canadian War Diaries held at Kew. Unfortunately, those held in the UK are only the 'third' copies and do not include any of the Annexes that usually contain the numbers I am after, hence this plea.

Does anyone out there have copies or listings of T-series WD numbers by unit that they can let me have copies of ? The details I am after include:

T Number - Vehicle - Contract Number - Unit details - Markings - Remarks by date.

To date I have some 12,000 identified numbers so I have a very long way to go - especially bearing in mind the numbers of vehicles sent to the Russians and Chinese.

If you can send me details, please include all sources. At the same time I will also include from whom the info was supplied...Of course, I will also attempt to identify any pics people might have using any visible number but with only such a small sample, this is still a bit hit and miss.

Finaly, one last question...what decided if a Canadain vehicle had CT or T prefixes ? Manufacturer and/or contract ?

Many thanks in anticipation to anyone out there who can help,

Roddy de Normann
Roddy1011
DEVIZES
UK