MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-11-05, 18:31

I´m sorry for being so long out, I had MANY problems... this Saturday is REALLY the first day i go to IVAN (the owner of a bautiful C8A 1C11)with the camera so I can make any photos for you... somebody ask me to take photos (I think it was Mr. Robert Clark..) I know it is a long time... sorry...
Attached Thumbnails
p6060192.jpg  
Old 03-11-05, 20:31
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Beautiful picture

That's not salt water is it?

Hope they had a supply of fresh water if that was the case!

Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 03-11-05, 20:56

Accidetaly this C8A was drawn (water was on the floor in cab !!! ) there, in Normandy, and only with the big hepl of a owner of DUKW, whose name I don´t know, it was saved!!!! many thanks to him... there was no water in motor, in tanks, differentials and transmission housing (well made), so now it is absolutely OK again..
Attached Thumbnails
ambulance+c8a.jpg  
Old 03-11-05, 21:36
Mr. HUP

Default Treasures

Frantisek,

Nice shots! Keep them coming. I would be very grateful if you took some more shots of the bench seat. They seem to be very rare here in Canada, and I may have to make one using photos and measurements as my guide.

Where do you and your friends shop for parts?
Old 03-11-05, 22:04

I´m not sure, but i think he bought something in Belgium... I thing Mr.Legwater?... but on this car is all orig. (or made by hands ) exept brakes, they are NOS... I´ll send you the photos on Saturday, OK? his bench seats are the only two I know abaut (only one knewn in Czech rep.) But he says it would be no big problem to make them from normal seats... pictures will tell you more.. one more picture - Pilsen, CR, May 2005
Attached Thumbnails
plze?.jpg  
Old 03-11-05, 22:05

and Happy owner with the right position of the right door handle
Attached Thumbnails
happy owner.jpg  
Old 03-11-05, 23:26
Mr. HUP

Default HUP Envy

Frantisek,

Thanks for the reply. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I will be looking for more photos in the future. To give you and your friends an idea of the state of my restoration, I will send some shot of my HUP by PM.

Cheers!
Old 06-11-05, 01:14

Default Photos

Dear Mr.Clark!
today I´ve been to my friend - he said - "say him to come here to visit us, we´ll go for him to Prag to the airport and will take him here, we can have a chat abaut our darlings or say him to take his C8A here and we will restore him it " so that´s no problem... I made a lot of photos (seats and the space behind rear wheel), can I send you all of them? I´m looking forward to your photos!
Attached Thumbnails
sedačka malá.jpg  
Old 06-11-05, 01:15

the "behindrearwheel space" . the front plate with lamps is of course not orig., they have to be there because of traffic
Attached Thumbnails
roh zespodu.jpg   malý roh.jpg  
Old 06-11-05, 01:21

Default one more seat

the stanchion that keeps the legs is on the spring, so it keeps them near the seat when it is up....
Attached Thumbnails
sedacka sklopena.jpg  
Old 06-11-05, 02:05
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Much gratitude for the jump seat pics - now I know how the things are supposed to look and how they work.

I like the taillight setup also.

But I see *two* PERS-3s in the Pilsen parade shot - whose is the one numbered "4046328" on the right side of the photo?
Old 06-11-05, 02:43

sorry, but I don´t know, whose it is, if you need that onformation, I´ll have to ask Ivan, but I think he´s sleeping now, here it is 2 AM... so tommorow... here is one pic. how to mount the seat... the only difference between the cover of the normal seat and that one is, that you have to cut out alittle square, where the holder is welded..and one more good message - i found orig. inner and outer handles and Ivan made a form and now he can make as many hadles as he wants to, so if you (anybody) needed handles to this truck, it is no proble, to send it by post (outer are same as in civilian Chevy, I think...)
Attached Thumbnails
uchyt sedacky.jpg  
Old 06-11-05, 02:50

one more backside with the tool box etc.
P.S.-the oil fleck on the floor is not from that car
Attached Thumbnails
backside.jpg  
Old 06-11-05, 02:59

Default handles

...if is this too much pictures, write me, I don´t know how much space do we have :
Attached Images

Old 06-11-05, 04:37

Default Fantastic pictures......Thanks

Not very often we get good clear pictures of the inside of a HUP......

Strange to see that particle wood in the rear fender..... yours are all steel Rob....... also check out the stange checker plate pattern from the rear underside shot.....

Wonder what the front springer hangers are like...????

Rob ........I guess we will be modifying some CMP seats to fit your HUP.... hahaha.

Bob C.

PS.... check out Rob's parts truck... a little nip here... a few hammer blows there.... and it will look like new again....
Attached Images

Canada
Old 06-11-05, 07:26
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Rob, The checker pattern is on the underside as the PERS-3 staff car had a linoleum floor, so the plates were just flipped and flopped to leave the smooth side up. Mine's the same.

Really neat to see the toolbox setup under the rear - that will be a whole project in itself.

The front spring hangers are waaay different from the earlier HUPs, as they are at the front end of the frame rail and back up a big casting on the inside which is the bumper mount - something else I'm hoping for pics of from Frantisek (hint, hint).

As for "wood" in the rear fender - are you referring to the fender welt? Or am I missing something else?
Old 06-11-05, 10:01

Default spring holders

HI..
the only photo of a sring holder is this one.. today my father goes to Ivan so I´ll tell him to take more photos.... should we photo any other part of this truck???
FN
P.S.-what wood are you talking abaut?
Attached Thumbnails
spring.jpg  
Old 06-11-05, 22:30
Mr. HUP

Default HUP PHOTOS

Frantisek,

If at all possible, I would like to see more photos of the rear chairs, and the bench seat that fits between the back chairs and the desk. It seems that they are very rare items here, and your photos will help me when I finally get the time to make two rear chairs and the middle bench seat. Your photos are invaluable, since there are very few 45 HUPs around here.

If you happen to find a place that has spare 45 HUP suspension parts, I am looking for a replacement for the passenger side front spring mount - where the spring mates to the frame. Bob Carriere and I are trying to restore the mount by the "weld, grind, swear" technique.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the photos! They are very well appreciated here in Canada.

I wish your hockey team the best of luck in the upcoming tournament - they will need it...

Rob

Last edited by RHClarke; 09-11-05 at 01:47.
Old 09-11-05, 02:55
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Fantastic pictures......Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere

Strange to see that particle wood in the rear fender.....
Bob,

Are you looking at the item that is sandwiched between the frame and the body just behind the eye bolt (frame hold down bolt)? If so, it is either one of three items:

a nice piece of hardwood that fits in the frame rail and acts as a guide for the other eye bolt on the other side of that frame rail, or

a larger and flat piece of hardwood that runs along the sides of the chain locker, or

a smaller piece that acts as a buffers and guide for the long rods that hold the locker to the underside of the frame.

Another nice touch with the 45 HUP are the narrow pieces of hardwood and composite material (10 in total) that fit between the top of the frame and the bottom of the body.

I will show you what they look like close up next visit (still can't reduce the photos so they are accepted on the forum...) and by the web email tonight. The plan is to draw up diagrams of each of these items and post for the benefit of the curious and those rare 45 HUP ROTers.

Last edited by RHClarke; 09-11-05 at 05:13.
Old 09-11-05, 15:57

Hi all!
(if I understood what wood R U talking abaut...) those wooden boards pressed there are little - are there just like mats - and there are many of them, every one is other than the 2nd and there is one problem with making a plan - it has a lot of holes in it bacause of rivets (pins..) so we would have to put the cab down sorry...this weekend I go to make some photos of our 1C11s, so feel delight :-)
Old 09-11-05, 17:58
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

OK, it's the wood blocks between the body and frame - if they are unique to the 1C11, then I suppose it was part of the redesign to improve the "creature comforts" along with the springs, rubber-mount transfer case, driveshaft brake, cabin liner, heater, extra lighting, etc.

Frantisek - more pictures?? If you can manage it, I would most appreciate a shot of the front bumper mounts - mine were torched off, so I will be needing to fabricate something.

Speaking of torched, I patched up the holes cut in the sides of my grill panel yesterday which had been pierced to allow a bodged-up winch mount to be hung on the front end. (I welded in a strip of steel, then faired it with solder.) Also in the process of cutting off a towbar that was welded to the rear frame. And one more piece welded-on junk to be cut off the front frame as well.
Old 10-11-05, 01:07
Mr. HUP

Default Tow Hitch

Mark,

I note with interest that the Czech HUPs don't have the optional "towing package". Also of interest is that your tow bar set up is exactly the same as the one I cut off. If your towing set up is like mine (was), they must have paid the welder by the stick...

If you like, I can send some photos along to you of the bumper mount - I took one off to weld up the flat end. Let me know what angles you want and if you want the measurements as well.
Old 10-11-05, 20:49
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Getting unhitched

I wonder if the tractor-type pin-style hitch was some sort of post-war "standard" army mod - but I would have thought the CMP pintle-on-a-leaf-spring would have been mounted on the HUP, if anything, as there are holes in the rear X-member which look like they would be for hitch mounting. I have never seen any reference or illustration to HUPs being set up to tow, comparable to their never having been set up with chassis winches.

You're probably right about the welder being paid by the stick - I went through two wheels cutting out what I did of the angle bar, and I still have to figure how to get into the corner to surgically remove that mass of welding. Too tight for the angle grinder, and I have a small cutoff that may not even fit, and is probably too light for the job.

Front bumper mounts - I think you have my pics of the ragged stumps - I essentially need all dimensions ahead of the end of the frame channel, to set the for-and-aft distance, plus location of holes. The crude plan is to grind off the rough edge of the casting, then weld some square plate of suitable thickness, then back-drilled for the bolt holes of the bumper.

It should be noted that the parts manual for the '45 staff car has different numbers listed for all the bumper and brush guard parts. I'm not sure what's different, but I'm guessing the hole locations might be a bit different, with the different mounts.

Frantisek's exteriors of the 1C11s really don't reveal much to my eye, which is why I'm hoping for photos of an intact mounting. (hint, hint)
Old 10-11-05, 21:26
Mr. HUP

Default Hitched, Mounted and Bumpers...

Mark,

One of the unfortunate consequences of having a bodged up hitch on my HUP is that my rear frame rail ends are not only twisted, but have been pinched inwards. One of the (many) previous owners towed something that was way heavier than the design or safety load. As a result, the pulling drew the ends inward.

The next step (one of many seemingly endless steps) for my HUP is to heat the ends, flatten the lips by hammer and dolly and then push out the ends. I was thinking of adding a CMP hitch but given the damage done previously, that requirement will probably be tossed out.

I will send photos and dimensions of the mounts later this weekend to your PM. As for the bumper/brush guard, yes, they are different from the other larger CMPs. The bumper and brush guard are narrower than others that I have seen, due I think, to the narrower frame and different bumper mounts.

One of the endearing qualities of the 45 HUP is it's unique part set and their lack of commonality with "normal" CMPs. Rear seats being one of the many examples - are you going to make up a set yourself, or have someone make up the lower legs etc...?

Now that the snow is flying, I'm glad that my HUP is under cover in its new shelter. Gone are the days of spending two hours digging her out, and then working on her while exposed to all of the elements. Progress is now measured in weeks vice quarter years...

I'm looking forward to more of your progress photos. Good luck with the restoration.
Old 20-11-05, 09:48

Hi,
I= ve left CD with photos home so that´s why the photos weren´t here much more earlier

some photos of some wooden boards

)
Attached Thumbnails
bumper holder.jpg   holder.jpg   wood1.jpg   wood2.jpg   wood2,3.jpg  

Old 20-11-05, 10:21

some photos of rear seat holders
Attached Thumbnails
left seat place1.jpg   left seat place.jpg   benchseat-front.jpg   benchseat-side.jpg  
Old 20-11-05, 12:21

Default Remember

just one little thing.. when will come the time youĺl finishing your 1C11, don´t forget, that on each glass is written "ARMOULITE"
Attached Thumbnails
glass.jpg  
Old 20-11-05, 15:38
Mr. HUP

Frantisek,

Keep those photographs coming! I really appreciate seeing them and now have a better idea of how my HUP should look at completion.

Do you know if your friend has the cushions for the bench seat? If so, could you post some photos of the seat cushions?

Much appreciated.
Old 20-11-05, 20:30

Default More Photos of HUP Frame Blocks

Here are several pictures of the wooden frame blocking and spacers on my `45 HUP.
Attached Thumbnails
hup frame blocking.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 20-11-05, 20:31
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Ditto that - these are most valuable. Thanks again, Frantisek.

My windows are original, though I will have to replace one windscreen and one side pane.

Bumper mount details are most helpful, the more the better.