MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 03-03-16, 19:02

Default 19th Field Regiment

My father served in the Canadian Army 19th Field Regiment RCA 63rd Battery C troop from September 1941 to February 1946. I have obtained a copy of his service record from Library and Archives Canada and found information on the 19th Field Regiment on Wikipedia but there are still some gaps that I would like to get filled.

My father departed Halifax for the U.K.on or about Nov 23, 1943 but I can't find the name of the ship or its destination port.

My father was in a Canadian Armoured Reinforcement unit that departed England for France on July 22, 1944. I don't know if this unit landed at Juno Beach or at some other location.

My father departed from the U.K. for Canada on Dec 28.1945, I believe on RMS Queer Mary but can't confirm it.

If anyone can provide any information I would Appreciate it.

Thanks

Glenn Anderson
Old 04-03-16, 15:19
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Anderson View Post
My father served in the Canadian Army 19th Field Regiment RCA 63rd Battery C troop from September 1941 to February 1946. I have obtained a copy of his service record from Library and Archives Canada and found information on the 19th Field Regiment on Wikipedia but there are still some gaps that I would like to get filled.
Glenn, some answers:

Quote:
My father departed Halifax for the U.K.on or about Nov 23, 1943 but I can't find the name of the ship or its destination port.
Convoy AT 76, made up of one ship, the “MAURETANIA,” carrying 4437 Canadian Army reinforcements (464 officers, and 3973 other ranks), disembarked in the United Kingdom on 1 December 1943.

Quote:
My father was in a Canadian Armoured Reinforcement unit that departed England for France on July 22, 1944. I don't know if this unit landed at Juno Beach or at some other location.
The three Canadian Armoured Corps Reinforcement Units (Numbers 1, 2, and 3), were static units and never moved from the United Kingdom to the continent. Your father probably went over to the continent with No. 12 Canadian Base Reinforcement Battalion (a component of No. 2 Canadian Base Reinforcement Group), which landed in Normandy around the approximate date you have of 22 July 1944.

Quote:
My father departed from the U.K. for Canada on Dec 28.1945, I believe on RMS Queen Mary but can't confirm it.
Both the “QUEENS” (Mary and Elizabeth) were repatriating Canadians in December 1945, I'm still going through my files for which departed on 28 December 1945.

Some additional information:

- the 63rd Field Battery, RCA departed Halifax for the United Kingdom on 23 July 1943, in Convoy AT 56, made up of one ship, the “QUEEN ELIZABETH,” which carried 14,311 all ranks personnel of the Canadian Army, and disembarked at Gourock, Scotland on 28 July 1943.

- the 63rd Field Battery, RCA landed on Juno Beach in support of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade (3rd Canadian Infantry Division) on 6 June 1944.

Cheers