MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 08-06-03, 04:46
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Veterans Hall Of Valour

Just heard about this... have to make some more inquiries! It sounds wonderful (I'll find out more and pass it on), but the point of the following article tells you SO much about this government...

http://www.canoe.ca/Columnists/mcrae_jun7.html

FEDS SHUN OUR HEROES

EARL McRAE -- Ottawa Sun

Tonight, at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, 19 Canadian war heroes will be the first inductees into the embryonic Veterans Hall Of Valour.

But one person who could have mattered in the project, won't be there, nor was she invited.

What the hell, they're only war veterans, what do they matter?

Is that how you truly feel, Sheila Copps?

You, the minister of Canadian Heritage, daughter of a man you worshipped and who, himself, was a veteran having served with the Royal Canadian Air Force in World War II?

Does honouring your father's contribution to the freedom we enjoy not matter to you?

You did get the correspondence from the Hall Of Valour's Robert Campbell, didn't you.

It was drawn directly to your personal attention, wasn't it?

The letter of rejection to Campbell from your office creates the impression it was, the line that reads: "The Minister appreciates being advised of your organization's proposed initiative."

But the letter, received only yesterday by Campbell -- six weeks after he was told his written request for funding was given to you -- is not signed by you, but by "Ms. Beverley O'Connell, Senior Arts Consultant, Ontario Regional Office, Department of Canadian Heritage."

Ms. O'Connell, who, in her thumbs-down letter, informs Campbell that the department's Cultural Spaces Canada program that provides funding for proposals such as his "is not accepting new proposals at this time."

With no explanation given.

Bob Campbell wonders, Sheila Copps, if you even saw his proposal, which your Ms. O'Connell suggests you did.

Our veterans deserve better than this, Sheila Copps. Your father Vic was a no-BS scrapper as mayor of Hamilton, and were he alive, he'd tell you if there was one new proposal for which you should make a damn exception, it is this one.

"This government has no shame," says Bob Campbell.

The Veterans Hall Of Valour is a beautiful thing. There is not one like it in Canada. It was Bob Campbell's idea. He is 75 and a retired civil engineer. He was too young for World War II, but -- unlike some we could name -- he cares deeply about our veterans and the constant need to remember and honour them.

In 1998 he decided Canada needed a "hall" to honour all those from its wars in history who earned decorations for valour in combat, along with all those, equally brave, who didn't; a place the public could visit every day of the year.

He put together an impressive board of directors of veterans and non-veterans including such decorated heroes from World War II as Col. Strome Galloway and Flight Lieut. John Patterson, and, unable to get space for the non-profit hall in the expanded Canadian War Museum, secured a deal with Carleton Place to place it in the old heritage building Town Hall, official opening: 2005.

The cost of the project, which includes computer stations, wall-mounted plaques, history books, videos, bookcases, tables, chairs, hundreds upon hundreds of inductee photographs and artist portraits, interior building renovations, highway guide signs, researching citations and mini-biographies, is $240,000, and to date $105,000 has been raised, all through non-government sources such as charitable foundations and individual donors.

You can contribute by making a cheque payable to: Veterans Hall Of Honour, 175 Bridge St., Carleton Place, Ont., KC7 2V8. Charitable tax receipts will be issued.

UNFAIR SITUATION

And if you know of someone, a friend, a relative, whether an officer or non-officer, who was decorated for valour in war, send in writing all information to the hall in care of Bob Campbell.

On Jan. 8, when only $53,000 had been raised, Campbell wrote to Veterans Affairs Minister Rey Pagtakhan outlining the project, breaking down its costs, and requesting a matching grant of $53,000.

In his letter, he said: "By establishing a Veterans Hall Of Valour, we are also engaged in remedying an unfair situation in Canada where we have a Hockey Hall of Fame with artist portraits for persons who are no heroes at all, and none for our real heroes, our veterans. Hockey players who have portraits displayed are just persons who happen to have been born with superior athletic ability, and are not real heroes at all."

On May 23 he got a letter back from Phil Michael, director, national and international memorials, Canada Remembers Division, praising the project, offering education kits and "related material," but: "Regrettably, Veterans Affairs is not funded to support projects of this nature and is therefore unable to provide any financial assistance towards the cost of the Veterans Hall of Valour."

The hall has all the credentials for a grant from Canadian Heritage, but with operational reports out of that department enough to make anybody skittish, Campbell opted for going right to the top, Prime Minister Chretien, in the request for a grant to match what had been raised, figuring the PM would, at the least, direct it to the right, favourable, government operation for facilitation.

He mailed his detailed request to the prime minister on March 27.

His only response was a letter on April 22 signed by somebody in the PMO named Smith "for M. Bredeson, Executive Correspondence Officer" saying he (Smith) had forwarded Campbell's material to Pagtakhan and -- Sheila Copps.

It's right there in the letter to Robert Campbell: "I have taken the liberty of forwarding copies of your correspondence and accompanying documentation to the Honourable Rey Pagtakhan, Minister of Veterans Affairs, and the Honourable Sheila Copps, Minister of Canadian Heritage." Smith's next line read: "I am certain that the Ministers will also appreciate the opportunity to review this information."

Bob Campbell's letter to Jean Chretien -- forwarded to Copps -- asked for a grant to match the new amount that had been raised by that time, $105,000.

Yesterday, six weeks later, he got his negative response.

Campbell thought Copps herself, being one of the "ministers" referred to, or somebody in her office would get back to him full of enthusiasm for the project and with advice on how to apply for the grant.

The same kind of enthusiasm Copps showed when her office doled out $1 million ($250,000 a year) of taxpayers' money to help finance the oh-so-important "Walk Of Fame," a sidewalk in Toronto honouring the names of Canadian entertainers and athletes. Let's compare deserving heroes, shall we.

Here's something you didn't know, Bob Campbell: The one who lobbied for that grant, the chairman of the Walk Of Fame board, was Peter Soumalias, a wealthy businessman.

Sheila Copps knows him well -- he later became her leadership campaign chief fundraiser.

Bob Campbell: "It's as if nobody cares. It's as if the wars didn't happen. Well, we don't have much use for this government anyway. I guess we aren't surprised, but thought we'd try anyway."
Old 08-06-03, 05:25

I'm presuming they wish to catalogue every Canadian who's won a decoration for valour; I'm going to try to get hold of the gentleman tomorrow and find out what parameters they're using. If they haven't made such an arrangement already, depending on what I hear, I think I'll also offer to host a website on their behalf.

I love this idea... no wonder the gummint hates it! :
Old 08-06-03, 09:10
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default Well Done Robert Campbell

Geoff -
The response that Bob Campbell received over there is typical of modern attitudes to ALL of the people that gave their lives or their health to preserve our rights to freedom ( or what remains after post-war government has finished with them!) throughout the 'Western' World.

With the exception of the Imperial War Museum I do not know of any government funded project in the UK to fullfill a similar fuction - all museums that refer to WW1 & 2 are privately owned and publicly funded by donation or by charitable grant from non-government organisations; yet we can give away £millions each year to a mock-european state to subsidise the very people that are destroying what the veterans fought for and to people that illegally enter our countries ( yes I know this one is happening in Canada as well) and bump the system for false welfare cheques.

We see falling attendances at Memorial parades in November, falling membership in uniformed youth organisations such as the Cadet Forces who have done a lot in the past to keep alive public interest by their involvement. In fact the Sea Cadet Unit that I used to be an instructor with had two Rememberance Day parades - we paraded for the Dieppe Raid veterans on their return to Wisborough Green in Sussex each August.

I appologise for the length of this ranting post but I do feel strongly that we do not do enough for our true Heroes and their families, not just from WW1 & 2 but from subsequent conflicts.

Perhaps we should have a Commonwealth Hall of Fame? The Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians, Ghurkas, South Africans etc all fought and died side-by-side with us through numerous conflicts .

If I had the money................

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 08-06-03, 13:48
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default Sound familiar

With acknowledgements to Rudyard Kipling :

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck 'im out the brute!" But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot!.

Familiar attitude.?

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 08-06-03, 15:31

Default Found it...

Here's their website:

http://www.canadaveteranshallofvalour.com/default.htm

I'm not inspired by its design and layout, nor with the way they have begun to present the photographic portraits of the first 200 men they have online... it's not a terribly "professional" job. If the same person doing the site has been preparing their presentations for funding, I'm not surprised they were turned down wholesale.

But I like their whole concept.

Have to think on this a bit. Have a look at the site and tell me what you think.
Old 08-06-03, 17:46
Art Johnson

Default Decorations

I have to agree with you Geoff that the site is not well done. I wonder if they will be including those who were Mentioned In Dispatches? It was not unusual for a soldier to be recommended for a MC or DCM but end up with an MID because he died before the award of the Decoration could be published. Not all Decorations for bravery can be awarded pothumusly.
Old 08-06-03, 17:54

Default Re: Decorations

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
I have to agree with you Geoff that the site is not well done. I wonder if they will be including those who were Mentioned In Dispatches? It was not unusual for a soldier to be recommended for a MC or DCM but end up with an MID because he died before the award of the Decoration could be published. Not all Decorations for bravery can be awarded pothumusly.
Art, I agree one hundred percent. I shall be in touch with them this week once I formulate my thoughts and the questions and suggestions which occur based upon my own instincts and the opinions of those here.

So far.... a wonderful idea in concept, especially in this "politically-correct, all-men-are-equal, thou-shalt-not-offend-thy-less-inspired-brethren" world... but not executed or expressed well.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-03, 01:07
RIP

Default Mentioned in despatches-Please

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
We're getting into a very upsetting topic vis-a-vis"Mentioned in Despatches".Does anyone out there have the Arthor Bishop book"Courage on the Battlefield" volume III.If so see page 230 titled "Frosinone-May 29-the only time Service Corp people were MID..Donald Peden Campbell was mentioned,only after he was dragged from his CMP by "another soldier"to save the rest of the C60's from bombardment.Two RCHA uncles in Italy(I may add Kingston Ontario permanent Forces) at the time,saw the after action report,from both drivers at the scene.The MID award winner confirmed the "Other soldier's actions"But because the other soldier was busted to Lance Corporal.the Corporal,undeservingly was "MID".And if you want to see a picture of the other soldier,revert to "A Liberation Album" page 88 at the bottom in front of CMP C60's sitting on a motorcycle.Sorry for the venting of old war wounds,but after confirming the story with the RCHA,it p---es me off.
Damn,I wish I were going to Chatsworth!!
Old 11-06-03, 03:29
Art Johnson

Default MID

Garry, while I agree with you to the extent that each case should be considered on its' own merit I present two incidents below where an MID would hardly have befitted the bravery that was displayed. In the first instance Pte. Bray died of his wounds four days after the awarding of his DCM was published. Had he died five days earlier than he did he would probably received an MID.
In the second case Lt. Snively led his platoon in an attack that wiped out two anti-tank guns, killed eight of the enemy and knocked out numerous machine guns. He was so far ahead of the rest of the battalion and cut off without even radio communication that his exploits were not known of until after he was killed in action. He was awarded an MID.
Lt. Sterlin of the RCR was in a similar action and held on to a stone house that became known as "Sterlins Castle" on the battle maps. He was recommended for an MC but was killed in action before the award could be published. He didn't even get an MID.

AWARD of

DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL
Private Joseph Albert BRAY
Canadian Infantry Corps

ON THE MORNING OF 16 DECEMBER 1944, "C" COMPANY OF THE 48th HIGHLANDERS OF CANADA ATTACKED A GROUP OF BUILDINGS KNOWN AS CASA BOSCHI. PRIVATE BRAY WAS A
BREN GUNNER OF 14 PLATOON IN "C" COMPANY. THE POSITION WAS STRONGLY HELD, AND THE ENEMY MACHINE GUN AND RIFLE FIRE FROM THE POSITION WAS INTENSE. IN SPITE OF THIS FIRE, PRIVATE BRAY'S SECTION ADVANCED STEADILY TOWARDS A BRICK SHED, FROM WHICH THE FINAL ASSAULT ON THE OBJECTIVE WAS TO BE MADE. BEFORE THE SHED WAS REACHED, HOWEVER, THE SECTION CAME UNDER SMALL ARMS FIRE FROM THE RIGHT FLANK. THE SECTION LEADER WAS WOUNDED IN THE NECK AND PRIVATE BRAY HIMSELF WAS SERIOUSLY WOUNDED IN THE STOMACH BY FIRE FROM A SCHMEISSER, DESPITE HIS WOUNDS HOWEVER PRIVATE BRAY IMMEDIATELY TOOK CHARGE, RALLIED AND ORGANIZED THE SECTION IN A FIRE POSITION, AND HIMSELF ATTACKED THE ENEMY FIRING ON HIM. (HE ENGAGED AND KILLED WITH HIS BREN GUN TWO ENEMY ARMED WITH SCHMEISSERS.) HAVING DISPERSED THIS POST, HE RETURNED TO THE SECTION NEAR THE SHED, HE HAD HARDLY REACHED THIS SPOT WHEN AN ENEMY PARTY, ABOUT 12 IN NUMBER.. MADE AN IMMEDIATE COUNTER ATTACK. WITHOUT HESITATION PRIVATE BRAY MOVED BACK INTO THE OPEN AND KILLED TWO OF THE ADVANCING GERMANS AND DISPERSED THE REMAINDER. THE ENEMY, HAVING REORGANIZED, AGAIN COUNTER ATTACKED AND AGAIN PRIVATE BRAY, ALTHOUGH WOUNDED A SECOND TIME BY A BULLET THAT BROKE HIS LEG, CONTINUED HIS FIRE UNTIL THE ENEMY HAD ONCE MORE BEEN DRIVEN OFF. THIS SOLDIER'S ACTIONS ARE WORTHY OF THE HIGHEST PRAISE. AT GREAT RISK TO HIS OWN LIFE AND DESPITE SERIOUS WOUNDS AND WEAKNESS FROM LOSS OF BLOOD, PRIVATE BRAY SHOWED SUPREME COURAGE IN THE FACE OF GREAT ODDS. ALMOST ENTIRELY DUE TO HIS RESOLUTION AND FORTITUDE, AN ENEMY COUNTER ATTACK IN VASTLY SUPERIOR STRENGTH WAS BROKEN, AND THE PLATOON POSITION SAVED.

Extracted from Dileas by Kim Beattie

Lt. Doug Snively had also done very courageous work. The details
were not learned until after his death less than a week later. The
only posthumous award is the V.C., and Lt. Snively's name could
only later appear with those Mentioned in Despatches.
Old 14-06-03, 18:13
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default GOOD NEWS!

The Hall of Valour story is featured in the latest issue of CONVOY MAGAZINE (issue #11) just out now.
(http://www.geocities.com/convoymagazine)

I was advised in a private letter that money is coming. This story of June 12 seems to back that up. However, only when the cheque arrives can one be sure!

June 12, 2003
McRae's World
EARL McRAE -- Ottawa Sun
I got an unsolicited surprise phone call at home yesterday: Sheila Copps with the good news.

The Veterans Hall Of Valour organizers will probably be getting their grant.

She wants them to. She's the minister in charge of the government department, Canadian Heritage, that gives out such grants. And, says Sheila Copps, they qualify.

Copps called me after I'd written three columns going to war for the organizers who were angry after being informed by letter that their request for a grant to match what they'd raised privately -- at that time $105,000 -- for the establishment of the Hall, could not be considered.

The grant would qualify under her department's Cultural Spaces Canada program that includes "museum and heritage displays."

In a letter to Bob Campbell, president of the Hall Of Valour Inc., dated April 22, a minion in the prime minister's office told him his grant-request "correspondence and accompanying documentation" had been forwarded to Sheila Copps who will "appreciate the opportunity to review this information."

Campbell didn't hear anything until six weeks later, June 6, when he got a letter from Rodney Mercer, special assistant to Copps, "replying on behalf of Ms. Copps," and telling Campbell the minister has received his package but: "CSC is not accepting new proposals at this time."

Canadian Heritage is the same department that gave $1 million of your money to help set up the "Sidewalk Of Fame" in Toronto's theatre district to honour Canadian entertainers and athletes.

Their contributions to Canada pale dismally in comparison to those of our war veterans.

UNIQUE CONCEPT

The Veterans Hall Of Valour, unique in its concept, will pay individual tribute through portraits, citations, video and audio technology to each and every man and woman awarded combat military decorations in the wars throughout history in which Canada participated.

Those not decorated for gallantry will also be recognized individually in several books of honour.

Carleton Place has donated spacious areas in its heritage building Town Hall for the museum, scheduled to open to the public in 2005. The first 19 veterans were inducted, some posthumously, in a ceremony last Saturday night at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

In yesterday's column, I published the office e-mail address, phone number, fax number, and mailing address of Sheila Copps. Many of you have forwarded me your e-mails and faxes you sent her. Bless you: Power of the People.

"This is a project we'd definitely like to fund," said Copps, Liberal party leadership candidate, who went on to tell me of all the initiatives she's taken on behalf of veterans, and her reverence for veterans of whom her beloved late father was one.

'OVERSUBSCRIBED'

Copps explained that CSC is not accepting new proposals because there's no more money left in its current budget. "It was an $80-million program over three years that began in 2001. The problem is that it was so successful it was over-subscribed."

She said her department will be submitting a new budget to the Treasury Board for the next fiscal year "and this (Hall Of Valour) project qualifies." Good -- but Campbell should have had all this explained to him rather than being left with the impression his proposal wasn't worthy.

Copps went on at length to inform that the Hall Of Valour also qualifies for ongoing funding under her department's (money is available) Virtual Museum Of Canada program for audiovisual exhibits, and -- if it registers itself as a museum -- her Museums Assistance Program for such things as student staff, travelling exhibitions, and liaisons with other museums.

"We target communities outside the major centres, this fits in," she said. She asked me to have Bob Campbell phone her directly, "so I can help him setting up meetings with the right people."

Before she left the phone, Copps turned me over to Naline Rampersad, her director of communications, who said: "We are thankful to our Canadian heroes. We will do whatever we can to help them. When you are dealing with veterans, it's a win-win for all Canadians."

The Hall Of Valour is awaiting their victory, Sheila Copps.