MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-11-03, 17:45
Vets_Dottir

Default Nelson BC's Airfest this summer

I found this link to photos from our little Airfest 2003 if anyone wants to check it out. There was supposed to have been a mock WW2 airfight but didn't happen. The Airfest itself almost diddn't happen. It was iffy til the last minute... if you look thru the photos and see the "haze" ... thats smoke! The festival folks and the firefighters "worked together'...Festival folks kept their planes etc out of the way of the helicopters and firefighting planes. The airstrip itself is very short and those little planes are about the biggest size it can take I didn't go to the events

I'm basically across the street from there ... only railroad tracks between our street and the airport/waterfront... I enjoy walking the waterfront (Keith ... its down in that area where I go sit by the water and go walking, that I told you about)

http://gallery.nelsonbc.ca/nelson_fl..._2003/IM001200

There are about 50 photos... hope you find something of interest

Yappy
Old 16-11-03, 20:38
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Thanks, Yappy

Nice pics and some interesting aircraft amongst the spamcans, like this Harvard

Did you hear the Harvard take off and fly? This is a distinctive and wonderful sound.
I was talking to a vet recently who trained in Canada at Camp Borden on Harvards and on his first flight he inadvertantly unlocked his tailwheel resulting in a ground loop which wrote off the undercarriage, earning him 7 days confined to barracks.

This one is a Yak which is a terrific performer...

This one is a Cessna 337 Skymaster, the civilian version of the 02 which we fly as the camera ship for most of our air to air filming.
Thanks for sharing this - looks like a nice part of the world.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 17-11-03, 17:18
Vets_Dottir

Default Awesome Keith!

Thanks so much for scooping and pastingthe photos.
They look SO MUCH BETTER here! Course if I'd been able to crawlout from under my rck, I could have gone across the tracks and "petted" all those pets! (the PLANES!!!!!!!!!!)

I heard something LOUD and DEEP and DIFFERENT ... would that be the "distinctive sound"??? I had the covers pulled up over my sleeping head most of the day and nite...sick.

That "YAK" photo ... dig the smoke hey? You guys/gals should have seen the people round town during the fire time... NO ONE looked aheadas they walked ... they all looked UP at the mountain tops , every one with anxiety on their faces.

All that gorgeous greenery on the mountains behind the planes? well .. just over one of the mountains is a huge chunk of area with "missing greenery"

While the airshow as happening the heli's were scooping water right beside the airstrip ... enjoying whatthey could see of the planes from their heli's.

Enough for now ... Thanks again Keith...and yes... truly beautiful in these parts, also loaded with history.

Yappy
Old 17-11-03, 17:23
Vets_Dottir

PS: LOVED the Vet story...cool