MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 21-08-16, 22:45

Default Joseph Cauch - 4th Canadian Armoured Brigade/10th Canadian Infantry Brigade

On Saturday August 20th, my Ferret and I were invited to attend a local car show at a senior’s residence. Upon arrival and almost immediately after parking the Ferret, one of the first folks to come over and have a look at the Ferret was an older gentleman. He began talking about Staghounds and tried to remember whether they were six or four wheeled. I stated that Staghounds were four wheeled and being almost certain that he was a veteran, I introduced myself as the owner of the Ferret and asked if he served during WWII. With a big smile he responded yes. I told him that I had served with the Royal Canadian Navy for 5 years through the mid 80’s and then respectfully asked how old he was and his name. The reply was Joseph Cauch, 93 years old. Joseph continued that he was with the 4th Canadian Armoured Brigade, 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade and was supporting tanks from both the South Alberta and British Columbia regiments. He served from 1942 to 1945, France, Belgium and Germany. He landed shortly after D-Day but proudly stated how the Queen’s Own Rifles were one of the first to land. Joseph continued that he was an ammunition driver, supplying/delivering 75mm shells to the tanks. The shells were heavy, 2 per case. He drove a 3 ton CMP truck, remembering that the front window was slanted forward. During 1944, I was wounded in Belgium near Diksmuide, stated Joseph. I asked how and he replied shell shock. Joseph recalled that on that day, the tanks were parked under/amongst trees on a hill top. I was driving away and was then radioed to come back for tea and French bread that a local farmer had brought out to the troops. Joseph turned around, came back and parked the truck. As he got out of the truck, a German plane attacked. Joseph figures that it was a Stuka Dive Bomber as its landing gear was down. German planes were in the area, looking for the tanks. It dropped a bomb which landed somewhere close by but on the opposite side of his truck. The truck shielded him from the blast and saved his life but was strong enough as it threw him back about 10 feet or so. I asked if he was sent back home after that. No, Joseph replied. I was hospitalized and returned to duty after I recovered...we were short of men. Joseph served until demobilized at war’s end.

I was also invited out to participate in the annual Warriors Day Parade at the Canadian National Exhibition that morning but the two events overlapped and somehow wanted to give back to the community where I live/work by participating in the seniors residence car show. I’m glad that I did. What an unexpected surprise and pleasure it was to meet and chat with Joseph Cauch.

Cheers, Terry.
Attached Thumbnails
WC2016.1.jpg   WC2016.2.jpg   WC2016.3.jpg   WC2016.4.jpg   WC2016.5.jpg  

1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 21-08-16 at 22:53.
Old 21-08-16, 23:23

Great story Terry. Thanks for sharing. It's obvious from the photos that Joseph enjoyed the event.
Old 22-08-16, 00:07
Terry Warner

This is why we take our vehicles out in public.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!