MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-07-06, 19:10

Question Your Track

I have been wondering ( was hoping more guys would respond in another thread)

what would you each prefer and why??

(A) Sixty year old, New old stock track that has never been fitted to a carrier ( British, Canadian, Australian, Indian, American or whatever the case may be )
BUT, as it has been stored outdoors for the past sixty years is seized.

OR

(B) Second hand used track somewhat worn but still ok It'd probably be ok if you don't drive too many miles and don't turn too tightly on grass or loose surfaces.

OR

(C) Brand new reproduction fresh cast track Just made from new cast iron.

AND

What would you expect to have to pay for each??

Why do I ask ?

I work in a design office at a manufacturing firm in Adelaide, Australia. Most of my time is spent on computers, designing aircraft parts for warbird restorers www.aeroformaustralia.com , as such management ( My Uncle ) is very simpathetic to the restorer's cause.

We deal with companies globally and have containers of "stuff" arriving and leaving all the time.

I do not have sufficient track for my own carrier restoration. I could go and buy some but my father, a Mechanical Engineer says that old track will not be as malleable as new track.

I don't intend to sit and look at my carrier when ( WHEN??? ) she's finished - I want to use her. So I don't want track that I can't use much for fear of wearing it out.

I may be able to find suitable manufacturers that are able to rough cast track to suit any carrier.

If I know what you all think, and what you might expect to pay for this I may be able to get the ball rolling.

Pedr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5000 - track.jpg (26.2 KB, 615 views)