MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 16-09-03, 08:31

Question Engine lubrication

I am restoring a C15A with original engine. Actually I am stuck with the engine due to the small (3/16"?) tube that goes from the oil valve distributor to the rocker arm. How does it fix on the engine? Is there any replacement available? Unfortunately there are no fittings available here in Italy and I am trying to figure out how to solve this problem
Old 16-09-03, 17:40
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Oil pipe

Francesco

I suggest you contact one of the many Chev parts suppliers . The 216 engines were made in millions and you will have no trouble finding parts .

The CMP man in Holland has many parts . His name is Dirk Leegwater , his web site is great .

: http://www.lwdparts.com

Mike
Old 16-09-03, 19:52

Default More Information

I had to replace these lines on both engines the orginal fittings are very hard to find but you can make up something close from standard fittings, see the notes on my web page.

http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...tingPage2.html

I have also come across 216 engines were the oil line had been relocated to out side the engine and through the valve cover. The original design has the advantage of running the oil pipe through the cooling water in the block. This can also be a source of water in the oil or oil in the radiator if the line leaks.

Hope this helps.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 21-09-03, 18:04
I did NOT break the tanks!

Francesco:

If you have the part (shown in the picture as #1.928, that is all there is. The tube just fits into the hole in the cylinder head, it is a 'push' fit with no actual connector. If you do not have that part, I might be able to find one here in the US for you.

If your engine has not been running for a while, and the block has not been disassembled and 'cooked' clean, check that the oil passage up to the head and the one thru the head is not blocked. If the head is on the engine, an easy way to check is to remove the distributor and spin the oil pump with a screwdriver (or other slotted tool that fits the oil pump) until oil pumps out of the hole (this should also result in the oil guage reading pressure (10-15 lbs)
Attached Thumbnails
oil fitting.jpg  
Old 21-09-03, 20:04

Default Oil tube

Hello Dave thank you for your answer. Where did you get the picture? However, I have been lucky to find out some 20 NOS kits for the oil tube. They are slightly different being a maintenance part, because the passage plug is no more a plug with a fit hole, it is a threaded nipple with a sleeve (I hope this is the correct name). See the photo enclosed. The kits are available if some collector desires, I think I'll go to the place within a month.
Attached Thumbnails
p0000014a.jpg  
Old 21-09-03, 20:46
I did NOT break the tanks!

Default 216 oil system

Francesco:

I think you have the external tube shown as #1.519 on the picture. Or, if I remember correctly, there is also a tube under the side cover that carries oil through the pushrod gallery to the underside of the head which then feeds the other fitting I first talked about. The tube you show might be that one, or it they might be interchangable.

As for the pictures, those 2 came from the catalog for 'Chevs of the 40's' - www.chevsofthe40s.com

I have a shop manual for a 1949 Chevrolet which has a complete section on the 216 engine, as well as an other old mechanics manuals
Attached Images

Old 21-09-03, 21:27

Default 216 rocker Oil feed

Francesco

I would be interested in a couple of kits if you have some to spare, how much are they? any idea what the postage to the UK would be ?

Regards

Pete
Old 23-09-03, 08:16

Default 216 rocker oil feed tube

The tube kit costs 8 euros, don't know about the shipping costs but I'll check with the post office. Tube is the exact lenght required, you'll have to make the correct bends to clear the push rod cover. I found a lot of other stuff, I think Marc Montgomery is going to put a list on the next Convoy. Some interesting items such as dash switches and door hinges and so on. Everything so rare in Italy. I am having troubles with the tires too
Old 23-09-03, 18:35

Thumbs up Oil feeds

Francesco

Let me know what the shipping to UK is. Then we can exchange address by e-mail and I'll get the money in the post to you for two.

Regards

Pete
Old 26-09-03, 14:01

I have had also that problem when I rebuild my CGT 216 engine.
If you still have the small fitting you can reuse it without any problem. You have to grind carefully and slowly until you can get the cooper pipe out of it. This pipe is not impossible to find. You could find it in a automotive spares shop, or lawn machine repair shop, a brake repair shop. If you can obsolutely not find it, let me know.
After puting a new pipe inside the fitting, you screw it carefully in the engine block head, and the fitting will be squezed and will seal hermeticaly again.

Eric Delcommenne
Old 12-10-03, 21:33

Thanks for your suggestions. The original fitting had already been badly damaged at some time by using a metric wrench. It was more like a round piece instead of hexagon. The maintenance kit I found works really well and I have already assembled the engine and side cover with no difficult at all