MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 30-05-16, 15:45

Default 1956 Triumph TRW oil ?

Hi, all. I am in the midst of a cosmetic restoration on a 1956 Triumph TRW (only went to the military) with 1700 miles on the clock. This military 500cc sidevalve 2-cylinder engine is very low compression and will be used very little. My first inclination is to go synthetic (even my lawn mower and generator have Mobil 1 in them)but I understand that the seals in the old girl just will not handle the newer oil.
Does anyone have any suggestions for oil for this old girl? The manual calls for MIL-O-2104 AM.1 (G030) Believe me, I have no idea what that means.

Old 30-05-16, 16:25

Default Pre-unit Triumph oil

While oils have changed the engineering tolerances that your motorcycle was manufactured to has not. Triumph specified the following: Engine oil- SAE 40, Transmission- SAE 50 or 80W90 gear oil (same viscosity) and primary chain case- SAE 20.

That being said, please remember that your bike uses flat tappets and oils high in ZDDP are best. Normally only multi-grades rather than mono grade oil is available at your local CDN Tire. I ran 15w40 Shell "Rotella T"in the engine of my TRW's as it at one time contained a lot of ZDDP, but I think it is now mostly gone from that formula. ZDDP is a wear reducing element that has been steadily reduced in oils. The Japanese have come up with a motorcycle standard for oil and it is very good, please see attached list of qualified oils.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

I would NOT suggest that you use synthetic in your primary chaincase as the friction discs of the clutch are designed for less "slippery" oil and will chatter rather than smoothly engage. I also found them hard to free-up in the morning. This is especially true of old brit bikes where the repo parts are made offshore to emulate the originals and rarely include the newest friction materials.

Its going to leak, get over it. Carefully replacing the primary chaincase gaskets with small amounts of modern sealants helps a lot but there is little you can do when the breather is on the front of the crankcase and the engine has a vertical split that needs sealing. I notice it is already leaking in the back of the truck, just marking its spot.
Old 30-05-16, 16:36

Many thanks !
Old 30-05-16, 19:45
carrier mech

If you run the diesel grades of oil (look for a diesel rating like CD, CE or CJ or whatever revision they are up to now) they will have sufficient ZDDP. Shell Diesel oils are fine. Same will go for the oils Canadian tire sells for high mileage gasoline engines.

Any of the gasoline engine oils with ratings after SL will not have the ZDDP needed. You can buy a ZDDP additive off ebay for about $10 a bottle, but have to mix it accordingly. Too much isn't good either. Boss lubricants also sell the older spec oil, but it isn't cheap.
Old 30-05-16, 20:27

My truck is a diesel and runs Rotella T 15-40 so I have that in stock.
Is that OK ?
Old 31-05-16, 02:00
carrier mech

Yes it will be. If you google the subject on ZDDP, I know there is a chart on there somewhere where they analyzed the Zinc levels in a bunch of diesel oils. Surprisingly Walmart almost came out on top, although that oil is packaged regionally so the results could vary depending on what refinery is packing their bottles. It is one of the few things at Walmart that doesn't come from China (yet).
Old 31-05-16, 22:27

You will find an effective ZDDP additive at your GM dealer under part no. ...#992869 . They call it EOS.