MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 28-03-17, 13:38

Default Tulip Festival 2017 in Ottawa

Is it happening this year?
Old 28-03-17, 15:10

I would think that Stuart Fedak and others in Ottawa will be chiming in as soon as the Tulip get organised, I don't expect anything to any different than previous years.

Home of the Ferret Spin On Oil Filter adapter
2 Wide Track trailers
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
M4 Treadway bridge training sets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Old 28-03-17, 18:20

Default The Canadian Tulip Festival 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
I would think that Stuart Fedak and others in Ottawa will be chiming in as soon as the Tulip get organised, I don't expect anything to any different than previous years.
I have reached out to the likely suspects to try to get some information. No response. The Canadian Tulip Festival 2017 will be happening. Their web page is up and running. Like most volunteer organizations, it is a just-in-time organization. In the web page there is mention of swing dancing and folks in historic period uniforms, and mention of historic military vehicles, but that is all. I didn't participate or attend last year as I had another event.

If I get anything of substance, I will post......

Cheers!
Stuart

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 02-04-17 at 15:02.
Old 28-03-17, 21:38
Terry Warner

Apparently, Jeff Mosher is the point of contact.

74-????? M151A2 plated and on the road
70-08876 M38A1 in dry storage waiting for more money
53-71233 M100CDN trailer manufactured by Motor Coach Industries
Old 30-03-17, 14:31

Default On facebook?

I suspect all of the info will be via Facebook as in previous years. If you don't do Facebook you may be out of luck!
Old 02-04-17, 06:45
Terry Warner

Default from FB

May 19 at 8 AM to May 22 at 3 PM

Lansdowne Park, 1015 Bank Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1S 3W7

(not sure whether this also applies to vehicle exhibitors - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tulip-f...on-32629584967)

From Gunner Mike's posting, "The current plan is to spend Thu and Fri moving equip and vehs to Lansdowne. Camping will be available from Fri night to Sun night inclusive. Fri night is a big fireworks display and a stage show of international dancing. Sat and Sun we plan to do a demo battle and Sat night is the big Swing Dance ... there will likely be free swing dance lessons for us discombobulated types! Showers will be available as will parking underground. Opportunities for sorties to local pubs will be taken! Mon morning will be our teardown and convoy home. We may thin the ranks a bit on Sun evening. If you want to join in and don't have a WW II period uniform let me know soon and we'll see what we can fit you into. I'll post the registration link shortly. Indicate to Adam Cooke (Registration Coordinator) that you are with the Swords and Ploughshares Museum gang. Cheers! Mike"

Old 02-04-17, 13:06

I see the festival website just makes reference to a military display but you really have to dig into the site to find that

http://www.tulipfestival.ca/

Home of the Ferret Spin On Oil Filter adapter
2 Wide Track trailers
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
M4 Treadway bridge training sets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Old 05-04-17, 00:29

Well still a fair bit of time before launch and hoping details are coming along and being sorted out, then news/updates passed along thereafter.
Old 06-04-17, 14:23

Default Trailer parking for Tulip Festival

My usual question - anyone know if there will be truck/trailer parking for those of us out-of-towners who want to trailer in a vehicle?
Old 06-04-17, 16:04

Default Canadian Tulip Festival 2017 update

I was asked to give a brief update on the Canadian Tulip Festival 2017.

Where/When:

May 19, 2017 at 8 AM to May 22, 2017 at 3 PM

Lansdowne Park, 1015 Bank Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1S 3W7

What/Who:

The plan for this year’s CTF is the same as last year; military vehicles all eras, WW2 encampment, swing dance Saturday night, anticipated battle re-enactment.

Why the delay:

Still having a planning sessions to work out the fine details. Each year there is a learning curve with new volunteers/manager in the co-ordination of all the fine details. This is just one of over 70 events are being planned. They will happen....

My own advice:

For those of you with Historic Military Vehicles who are considering attending the Canadian Tulip Festival, you know the date, timings, location, the events, that all period vehicles are welcome, there will be a WW2 encampment, fireworks/dance in the evening. Similar arrangements will provided for vehicle/trailer parking. The exact details will not be provided until they are confirmed.

Jeff M. is the point of contact for this event. Unfortunately he seems to be having login trouble getting into MLU. Besides having a very demanding full time job that involves travel, and a very active family life with his kids, he does all this volunteer co-ordination in the few spare hours that he has. Rather than firing off e-mails to him, I would suggest that you work on getting your vehicle(s) in awesome shape, and ready for this amazing event.

The information will be available, when it has been confirmed. In my own past experience with this event, it takes an incredible amount of work behind the scenes to work with Federal, Provincial, and municipal authorities, to gain access to very valuable commercial facilities, during an already busy year for events in Ottawa.

2017 will provide many opportunities to volunteer and participate in events all over Canada. Make this a year that you actively participate...

Cheers!

Stuart
Old 07-04-17, 02:54

Default CTF: April 06, 2017 Update

Canadian Tulip Festival Update: April 6th, 2017

For Historic Military Vehicles: J. Mosher is the point of contact. Jeff will provide additional information as it is confirmed. Jeff is a registered member of MLU. As I indicated, he is experiencing login issues with MLU.

For Historic Military Re-enactors: Terry H. and Adam C. are the re-enactor coordinators for the 2017 Canadian Tulip Festival (CTF). As with previous years, the Historic Military Re-enactors are using their Facebook page to pass along information as it becomes available. The Historic Military Re-enactors are involved in many events each year, in addition to the Canadian Tulip Festival, and have membership from participants in a wide geographic area from Canada and the USA. They find that the use of Facebook is their best mechanism to communicate with their base. The Historic Military Re-enactors post updates on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/727020750720448/ and it is open to re-enactors and HMV owners. If someone does not have a FB account, then Terry H and Adam C. can be emailed. Terry H, is a registered member on MLU. (see link below to use for registration)

Adam C. has provided the link to register for the CTF event. He indicated this could be passed on to anyone interested in participating.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tulip-f...=eventurl_text

The Historic Military Re-enactors are involved in the WW2 encampment; swing dance on Saturday night; the anticipated battle re-enactment; building of any defensive positions; and assist with getting some of the WWII rusty old trucks/track/artillery ready for the event. Offers of assistance by the Historic Military Vehicle community to help with the other tasks involved in the CTF would be appreciated. Before the event the WWII rusty old trucks/track/artillery need to be transported to the venue. After the event is formally over, there still is lots of volunteer workers needed to assist in the transport the WWII rusty old trucks/track/artillery back to the museum.

Cheers!
Stuart
Old 07-04-17, 05:03
Terry Warner

Default Ctf

The Cold War Collection volunteers have been briefed up on our roles and which vehicles will be on static display. Glad to be part of the community.

Old 07-04-17, 14:40

Default Addition of the Cold War Collection to the CTF

Terry,

Thanks for the update that the Cold War Collection of Ottawa will be attending the Canadian Tulip Festival with vehicles and volunteers to participate in the static display of Historic Military Vehicles.

It is nice to see the ongoing participation of the Cold War Collection at events such as the Diefenbunker in Carp; tracked vehicle displays at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa; airshows with Vintage Wings of Canada in Gatineau; other public displays; and hosting a BBQ (private viewing) for the local Historic Military Vehicle community.

From my perspective, the object of Historic Military Vehicle restoration is to get the vehicles in good operational condition and take them out for various public service and educational events. The combination of the Historic Military Re-enactors and the Historic Military Vehicles seems to really engage the general public.

"Keep them rolling"

Cheers!
Stuart

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 08-04-17 at 12:33.
Old 07-04-17, 22:12

To funny, the Ottawa Valley Schwimmwagen und Kettenkrad Owners Klub will attend also.
Old 07-04-17, 23:39

Default Ottawa Valley Schwimmwagen and Kettenkrad Owners Club (OVSKOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
To funny, the Ottawa Valley Schwimmwagen und Kettenkrad Owners Klub will attend also.
James,
This is fantastic news that the President; Vice President; Maint O; CEO; COO; CCO; Membership Officer; Treasurer; Secretary; Cleaning staff of the Ottawa Valley Schwimmwagen and Kettenkrad Owners Club (OVSKOC) will be attending.

The participation of OVSKOC significantly raises the bar with their vehicles. I have attached a few images from the Canadian Tulip Festival 2015 when OVSKOC attended.

Please pass on my greetings to OVSKOC and I look forward to receiving the next bulletin.

Will you have the signs made up this year that state...

Quote:
ACHTUNG
ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS
Dies Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mitten-graben. Is easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowen-fusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Is nicht fur gewerken by das dumm-kopfen. Das rubber necken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets - relaxen und watch das blinken lights.
Cheers!
Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
CD_77_600_Conv_DSC_0508.jpg   CD_77_600_Conv_DSC_0510.jpg   CD_77_600_Conv_DSC_0579.jpg   CD_77_600_Conv_DSC_0578.jpg   CD_77_600_Conv_DSC_0587.jpg  

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 08-04-17 at 00:52.
Old 13-04-17, 02:43

Default Canadian Tulip Festival Update: 12-Apr-2017

Canadian Tulip Festival (CTF) Update: 12-Apr-2017

I have been asked to keep those who are attending informed of the most current information.....

Parking:
The Historic Re-enactment/Vehicle group have received 30 parking passes for the underground parking. Mike (Gunner) is going to try and arrange access to the HMCS Carleton parking lot (to-be-confirmed)

There will be parking for trucks and trailers as last year. We will also not be using the main entrance to the park. the CTF has arranged for us to use the service entrance (indicated with the red circle in the attached picture below). This will allow us to control the loading and unloading of the vehicles at own pace. Signs will be posted at the entrance.

There are to be NO vehicles on the lawn this year.Vehicles will operate/display on the paved walkways only. Once again the CTFrequires all military vehicles to have a drip pan (bring your own, plus absorbent).

Camping
The group has been given extra area this year for our camping location (indicated in black below). With the extra access to the other area of grass it will allow vehicle owners to setup up tents next to the road.
Once again we have to be careful of the sprinkler heads. we are hoping to get a mapping of where the under ground lines are. The CTF will arrange for a power line to be brought into camp on the East side(near the CTF outdoor stage). If we are to get power it means that driving in camp will be limited after dark. The fireworks this year are on Sunday. We have been asked to be off the site by 1200 on Sunday.

Food
We have arranged meals as follows.

Friday - Dinner
Saturday - Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Sunday - Breakfast, Lunch

Showers
The CTF will arrange showers with the Good Life Fitness once again. We will make sure to have the hours of operation before hand.

General Site Info from CTF
This year the event has an entrance fee (not for us) which means the whole encampment will be fenced in. There will also be an outdoor stage (run during the day only) operation hours are 0900 to 1700

Since this year there is an entrance fee, the CTF will be issuing us free tickets for the dances. There will be a Swing Dance on the Friday and a Big Band dance on the Saturday. You can wear your period appropriate attire if desired, or attend in your regular attire.

Scenario
We have discussed with the CTF that we will have a Scenario at 1400 on the Saturday. Also if possible we can show different section drills, unit training, vehicle demos, weapon demos through out the day

There will be CTF tents on the west side of the lawn. These are for kids face painting/ flower painting etc. during the scenario they will be cleared. As it worked very well last year we will have the spectators seated on the hill on the West side.

Attachment: Site diagram....

Again, a reminder if your are attending as a re-enactor/Historic Military Vehicle owner/driver register your intention to attend, if you have not already done so.

As in past years, joining instructions will be sent just before the actual date of the event. At your arrival to the CTF, your will be issued additional updates.

Cheers!
Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
CTF-2017.jpg  
Old 18-04-17, 00:50
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post

Adam C. has provided the link to register for the CTF event. He indicated this could be passed on to anyone interested in participating.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tulip-f...=eventurl_text

Cheers!
Stuart
Thanks I just registered and that code spit out my weekend pass.