MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 18-10-03, 01:58
Greybeard Member

Thumbs up South Alberta M3 Command track....

Hello there

Was there not a discussion recently on the fate of this vehicle?
Quote:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: October 17, 2003 1:18 AM
To: Dana Nield
Subject: M-3 Halftrack Question

Hello My Name is Rob McCue I am a Sgt with the South Alberta Light Horse Regiment out of Jefferson Armouries in Edmonton AB. Our Regiment has recently come into possession of the M-3 Half-track that was used as the Command Post for our Colonel during WW2. I am currently heading up the restoration project and would like to know if you could give us advice on its restoration. I went and saw the vehicle today and it is currently housed out doors(I am trying to change this) and is spot welded shut and has a spot welded metal sheet roof. Do you have access to any Vehicle maintainence manuals or can you direct me to any maintenance manuals about these vehicles. It was a runner approx. 20 yrs ago but has only been mounted on a pedestal since. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks Rob
Steve
Old 18-10-03, 06:26

Default Manuals

Alex Blair of this forum may be able to help you, if not then certainly Portrayal Press in the US can supply reprints for you. The Sword & Ploughshares Museum at Kars (just outside of Ottawa) has one and may be persuaded to "loan" you some reference works. Is it a White, Autocar or Diamond T ? Robert in Toronto
Old 18-10-03, 13:03
MLU Administrator

Default Re: South Alberta M3 Command track....

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Guthrie
Was there not a discussion recently on the fate of this vehicle?
Hi Steve,

Yes, there was (although it was a while ago back on the Old MLU Forum):

- Swatty's ACV

- Swatty's AC V

Regards,
Hanno

Source: http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/...r/sar_acv.html
Old 13-11-03, 09:52
Sgt Ret'd

Default SAR Halftrack

Hello All, New Info re: SAR Halftrack, i have been asked to staff a budget to our CO and thru him to our Honorary Colonel on the complete and as original as possible restoration of the halftrack.
Our Hon. Col. is very interested in the fate of this vehicle due to the fact that his recently deceased brother was a Troop Sgt in the SAR's during WWII. We had dedicated a classroom inour new armouries to his brother shortly before his passing. We have been ordering in maintainence manuals and as much info on this vehicle as possible. I need to put in a proposed restoration cost on this vehicle(best rough estimate ) as soon as possible. One military vehicle restoration hobbyist from Edmonton told me that his best rough guess would be 50 thousand canadian dollars. Can anyone let me know if this sounds relatively reasonable?
Cheers Rob
Old 13-11-03, 17:38
In Vino Veritas

Default Budget

HI Rob
A million dollars may sound reasonable depending on the resources you plan to employ. Seriously though , you must first completely evaluate the condition of the vehicle and its missing components for one. Does the engine run? is the tranny and rear end front end transfer case good, if you are going to take them apart and resotre them regardless, then you have a big jump in cost. Is thepaint good? are you going to wire brush the ratty paint and then apply new paint or are you going to completely strip the vehicle and sandblast every square inch? Again, a big jump in costs. Do you need new tracks? they are selling brand new made tracks in texas for 4000 or 4400 U.S. a pair right now. BUt include shipping handling customs etc. and that could cost 8000cdn right there. Tarp on top ? say 1500 US
Lastly , are all the man hours of repair volunteer or have to be accounted for, and can you do everything yourselves or will you need to outsource some repairs or fabricate parts.
Good luck and remember its about having fun and keeping the past alive.
Sean
Old 13-11-03, 19:08
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Sean, this is the magnificent roofed command halftrack shown well in Donald Graves' book SOUTH ALBERTAS. They brought it back.

I've got some good halftrack links, and I'll post them when I get home. My guess - having seen photos of the thing inside and out - is that it won't take 50K to do it. However, I DON'T know the status of the complete drivetrain... but parts ARE available. As Sean mentioned, tracks are your biggest problem. You have the advantage of working on a vehicle which doesn't suck up parts like, for instance, jeeps. Private halftrack owners are a small but dedicated lot, and you'll get some support from them.

More later - but I applaud this project. Do it RIGHT, a frame-up restoration. History demands no less. Most of your cost will be in elbow grease!
Old 13-11-03, 21:15
In Vino Veritas

Default Neat rig...

...certainly is neat and worthy of restore., though my words still ring true, sandblasting painting transporting fittings all cost moola unless they are set up for it, I don't know. NOt the least the radio setup inside , if they are going to that extent. And did it have a canvas addition attached? My only point is don't underestimate the cost or you may end up short and the way government budgets work you quite often can't get more.
It would be an inspiring vehicle to see at schools and in parades and mall displays.
Sean
Old 13-11-03, 21:38
Sgt Ret'd

Default M-3

Thanks for your speedy response, this vehicle is in very good shape although it hasn't ran in at least a decade. The vehicle was kept in very good order by the Strathconas and it is almost completely original. I have a veteran in Edmonton who drove halftracks for BSqn SAR as an ambulance driver, he has given us lots of insight and is searching for his original driver and maintainence manuals. The plan is for a frame up restoration and our Honorary Col has stated that money will not be a problem, as he wants the job done properly. I will try to post a few pics here if i can figure out how to do that. And as for the canvas top, the ACV has a custom built roof, the troops modified it themselves so that their is only a small center strip(approx 3 ft wide) in the center with the sides covered over, there are plates that slide forward and back to allow access. The vehicle interior was fitted with mounts for 4 #19 wireless sets and is fairly rusty inside right now, although the outer body is well preserved. Rob

My photos are too large to set as attachments and i am having trouble with the html insertion so you will have to wait a little longer for photos, sorry
Old 13-11-03, 21:42
In Vino Veritas

Default Tracks

NOt Texas but here...new manufactured in 2002 heavier than wwII tracks but same pattern visually the same. With stronger steel cables with phosphor bronze coating for more strength. 2250 US per or 4400 for a pair from :
Southwestern corporation
109 commerce drive
Fort Collins, Colorado
970-221-4888
fax 970-221-0597
attn :stu hicklin
Old 17-12-03, 07:08
Sgt Ret'd

Here is the ACV in Oct this year at our armouries. Rob
Attached Thumbnails
sar acv halftrack3.jpg  
Old 18-12-03, 06:00

Default Halftrack Ambulance Driver ?

To Rob McCue, Can you provide contact info for your veteran ? I have been searching for several years for information on the interior layouts of halftrack ambulances as I would like to restore my IHC M5 to that configuration. Have never been able to find photos, sketches of the rear interior layout. Wondered if your vet might be able to help ? Robert in Torornto
Old 18-12-03, 06:50
Sgt Ret'd

No Problem, The fellas name is Eric Nichols, he was an ambulance driver for BSqn of the South Alberta Regiment, it wasnt untill a few years ago that i found that out. He is one of my fathers best friends and he had entertained me as a boy with stories of tanks and halftracks. Little did I realize he was in the SAR's and I had no idea he was awarded "mentions in despatches " for bravery under fire while evacuating a friendly tank crew. I will ask him for further details and see if he will give me a sketch or any old photos. He is reluctant to talk about the war quite often (He was one of the few sent home right after the cease of hostilities) and he often will change the subject and refuse to give further details, but I am sure he would be willing to help in this case. Rob

Here is the specially converted top of this Halftrack
Attached Thumbnails
specially converted top2.jpg  
Old 19-01-04, 06:50
Sgt Ret'd

Default SAR Command Halftrack

Well, it has started, the M-3 White Halftrack has found a new home indoors, all the welds have been removed and the halftrack has been inspected thouroughly. I have been accepted as the project leader and now have to "sell" my proposal to the Regimental Foundation for the restoration. Help has been coming in from all over for this project and I want to say thanks for the members and friends who have helped so far. There is a great deal of work to begin, lots of things to do. Unfortunately there are a few dissappointments as well, when i had first inspected this vehicle shortly after it arrived in Edmonton from Harvey Barracks in Calgary(a number of years ago). I was able to look inside, at that time it still had Wireless sets, a vehicle data plate and other small important pieces such as the light cluster for the dash, the speedo head and other gauges as well, since then the vehicle has been stripped of these parts.I was particularily dissapointed with the missing data plate as the paint behind it was extremely fresh and had no rusting when i examined it on Saturday, and I think it has just ended up a souvenir on someones shelf at home. But overall the M-3 is in pretty good shape. There is alot of surface rust in the interior, but a lot less than I had feared. I will attach some more photos we have gathered of this particular vehicle in Europe during the war. Our wartime CO's family has provided us with the following photos, most have Col Wotherspoon prominent in them, he is the one with the enigmatic smile. Enjoy and i will be posting more photos of the restoration as time allows.
Cheers, Rob McCue
Attached Thumbnails
gdw _ tank.jpg  

Last edited by Rob McCue; 19-01-04 at 07:00.
Old 19-01-04, 06:51
Sgt Ret'd

Default pictures

Have to post em seperately they are too big, here is another. This one is of Col Wotherspoon(Left and the SAR Balttle Adjutant i believe), this is apparently a shot looking in to the ACV from the drivers door, might be tough finding a duplicate phone but hey we will have to find one.
Cheers,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
gdw inside tank.jpg  

Last edited by Rob McCue; 19-01-04 at 07:02.
Old 19-01-04, 06:55
Sgt Ret'd

Default More pics

Here is another, this is the SAR HQ Group , Col Wotherspoon is in the center and the RSM on the far Right. This shot shows a fairly good view of the canvas "Penthouse" they had on the back of the halftrack. These photo'swill be a great aid for the finishing touches and it's incredible to have so much history to assist our efforts. Hope ya like 'em
Cheers,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
gdw _ men2.jpg  

Last edited by Rob McCue; 19-01-04 at 07:06.
Old 20-01-04, 10:47
MLU Administrator

Default Re: More pics

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob McCue
Hope ya like 'em
Rob,

I like 'em a lot!
You must be aware of this, but if anyone ever doubts your team's restoration work, please advise them this vehicle is unique - not only because of its conversion, but more so because of its known history. I have been researching Sherman tanks for many years, and it is very, very rare that a vehicle's history can be traced as has been done with this SAR half-track. Keep up the good work and keep us posted about your progress!

Regards,
Hanno
Old 14-02-04, 06:57
Sgt Ret'd

Default Retsoration news

Hello everyone, havent had a lot of time for the computer lately, thought I would share some pics of the ongoing restoration and had some questions for the masses.

1.) Our engine serial number is White 160AX-6771, and our frame serial number is M3s-7318, is this most likely an original engine?

2.) What is the Veh ID # made up from and how were they issued, ours is CL 4237226 And also is there a way to research info on the issuance of these numbers?

3.) What other info do I require to have a new Vehicle data plate made, and where can they be found?

4.) Does anyone know the significance of the diamond shaped plate with the number "50" painted on both sides of the halftrack in the WWII photos? I think it may have been a call sign, it is located near the mod to refill the fuel tanks, but the numbers don't match the gallon capacity of the fuel tanks.

5.) While asking at Automotive distributors for White 160 AX parts, such as gaskets..etc... they often have White 160 gaskets in stock- Does anyone know if these are one and the same? What does the AX on the engine model stand for?

The restoration is coming along well, we are on day 7 of the engine phase and have been very happy with the results. The vehicle ancillary equipment seems to be in good condition and we have found rebuild kits for the carb. We have been very pleased to get the motor turning over by hand and have only 3 stuck valves left to deal with. Here are a couple of recent photos. Cheers Rob
Attached Thumbnails
day 7 small.jpg  
Old 18-02-04, 10:43
Sgt Ret'd

Default New Info on our beast

I spent Family Day with Reg Hodgson in St.Albert looking at his extensive WWII Military vehicle collection....WOW what an experience. I will post some pics later. I did find alot of very helpfull info on our halftrack. Apparently our M-3 is not a White version, but a Diamond-T chassis with the White Motor. One of Reg's connections researched our frame number and found it the details a bit more than we had. It makes our vehicle slightly more rare than we thought. After an awe inspiring day at Reg's wharehouse we felt extremely motivated and spent the evening on our own project. We should have the motor out within the next few visits and then we can remove the Transmission and Transfer case. The sub-components have been in extremely good shape, we only needed a bit of clean up and regreasing to make the Generator top notch once again. They sure built things better than they do today. Here is a pic of one of Reg's 18 Military vehicles.
Cheers Rob
Attached Thumbnails
stag small.jpeg.jpg  
Old 25-08-04, 11:33
MLU Administrator

Read this on the AFV News Discussion Board:
Quote:
PUBLICATION : Edmonton Journal
DATE : 2004.08.24
EDITION : Final
SECTION: CityPlus PAGE: B3 BYLINE: Jim Farrell SOURCE: The Edmonton Journal
DATELINE: EDMONTON
HEADLINE: Veterans from South Alberta Regiment to unveil restored half-track at reunion

EDMONTON - Veterans and relatives of veterans who fought during the Second World War with a now-disbanded Edmonton regiment will gather in two weeks to celebrate the regiment's history and unveil a prized artifact that carried its commander across Europe.

The American-manufactured half-track vehicle, wheeled in front and tracked in the rear, was the personal vehicle of Lt.-Col. "Swatty" Wotherspoon. For several years, the vehicle has undergone restoration at the Jefferson Armouries at 11630 109th Street.

It will get its first public showing 10 a.m. on Sept. 11 at the armoury. "Our regiment was formed in June 1940 at the Prince of Wales armoury and went from an active force to reserve status at the end of the war," retired Lieutenant-Colonel Harry Quarton, president of the South Alberta Regiment Veterans' Association, said Monday.

MERGED WITH OTHER REGIMENTS

In 1954 the regiment was merged with two other reserve regiments to form the , located in Edmonton and in Medicine Hat. The SAR was originally an infantry regiment, and within a year of formation its 950 soldiers were in England.

In January 1942, when it acquired tanks and became an armoured regiment, it was downsized to approximately 800 men. While fighting in France the regiment operated 60 tanks and an even larger number of supply vehicles, said Quarton, who finished the war as quartermaster sergeant major.

Due to turnovers and casualties, by war's end a total of 2,300 men had served with the South Alberta Regiment. Forty to 50 veterans and more than 100 relatives of veterans have registered for the association's Sept. 11 commemorative dinner.

jfarrell@thejournal.canwest.com
Old 03-12-04, 06:45
Sgt Ret'd

Default SAR Halftrack Update

Hello everyone,
thought I would finally drop an update, The Halftrack is coming along nicely, although we obviously have a long way to go.
The vehicle was stripped completely to the frame and all parts acid dipped, then sandblasted, then put in parts cleaners if they were small enough.
We then did a whole wack of welding, straightening and sandblsted some more.
In late July we sandblasted and primed all the components. In August we started painting and rebuilding.
Currently we are held up on a few parts to complete the engine rebuild. We hope to have it running prior to Christmas.
The reconstruction is going well, and we are fairly on budget. So far we have spent 37,000 of the 50,000 dollars allocated for the project.
I will include a picture or two for your viewing.
Cheers Rob
Old 03-12-04, 06:59
Sgt Ret'd

Default Pics

Here I go again...LOL
Attached Thumbnails
frame with tranny ready to mount.jpg  
Old 13-02-05, 20:22
Sgt Ret'd

Default Lastest News

The Halftrack project is progressing well thought I would share the latest photo.
Cheers Rob
Attached Thumbnails
export small photo.jpg  
Old 08-03-05, 07:06
West Coaster

Rob,

Thanks for sharing these updates with us. Wouldn't it be wonderful if each unit did something similar? Keep up the good work.

JD
Old 08-03-05, 20:58
Sgt Ret'd

Thanks for the kind words.

I have not had as much time for these posts as I would like, but we are very close to getting the vehicle running and have 25 days left to get it ready for the Display in the Alberta Provincial Museum.
It will be on display from Apr 15 to end Sep 05 to the general public in a South ALberta Light Horse Display called Hoofprints to Tanktracks.
I just recieved and tested the no 19 wireless sets I have purchased and lo and behold they all work.
So we should have not only a vehicle complete, but a running CP available for the display as well.

That's all for now, thanks again.

Cheers

Rob McCue
Sgt
SALH
Old 21-03-05, 05:44
Sgt Ret'd

Default Engine runs fine

The SAR ACV started up today under its own steam, and the first run of the engine went very well.

After an exhausting and fruitless day yesterday we managed to get success today and it was very much music to our ears.

One year, 2 months, and 3 days after starting a frame up restoration we had the engine running. Not bad for a few Militia guys.

I will post some newer photos when I get a chance.

Cheers

Rob McCue
Sgt
SALH

Sorry this was supposed to be posted under the SAR thread......
Old 21-03-05, 08:21
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Engine runs fine

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob McCue

Sorry this was supposed to be posted under the SAR thread......
Not a problem, Rob!

BTW, congrats on your work so far!

Old 06-12-05, 03:23
Sgt Ret'd

Default Latest News

Hello All,

The SAR Halftrack had a successfull stay in the Royal Alberta Museum over the summer.

It spent 6 months as the centerpiece to the South Alberta Light Horse Display in the Museum in Edmonton.

It was also used in the Medicine Hat Freedom of the city parade in October.

The "Ol Reliable" girl is now back at the Jefferson Armoury in Edmonton where we are doing some repairs to the carburator.

Here is one of the the latest pictures of the Halftrack.

The two Vets in front are (L to R) Cpl. Retd Vince Chaney, and Sgt. Retd Ken Armstrong

Vince was a halftrack ambulance driver in the SAR, and Ken Armstrong was the SAR Intelligence Sgt and he actually crewed this very halftrack during WWII.

Cheers,

Sgt Rob McCue
Attached Thumbnails
sar halftrack with vets.jpeg  
Old 11-12-05, 08:22
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default The SAR Halftrack

Hi Guys,

Reg Hodgson and I stopped by the Armouries to check on the restoration of their Half-track. We had a great visit with Sgt. Rob McCue. It's nice to see a part of Canadian history being restore, by this dedicated individual and his team.

Al
Attached Images

Last edited by Al Nickolson; 11-12-05 at 09:07.
Old 11-12-05, 08:25
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Al
Attached Images

Old 11-12-05, 08:28
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Photo
Attached Images