MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-01-18, 18:53

Thanks Phil and all for all your help.

I'm seriously looking into making an adaptor plate for the early one hole pump to mount to the two hole block. It's frustrating as the throttle linkages all line up perfectly when the one hole pump is used.

I played around with some paper this morning using theo one hole backing plate as he basic pattern. I then overlayed the two hole plate and traced out the two holes. The blue is the holes in the block. The green is where the frost plug is located. The yellow is the original one hole pump hole as found on its backing plate. The cutout portion of the paper is what I'm proposing to remove from the block to give the same amount of flow.

Concerns I have and I have a few.

Obviously drilling into a block and removing material is worrisome. The two small blue circles are the original threaded holes. On the inside of the casting they are solid. If I were to screw in some small set screws would that help make it more solid? On my drawing the two lower red circles are where new holes would have to be drilled and threaded to mount the lower water pump bolts. When I've read over the 235/261 adaptor plate instructions they have you drill new holes.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7108.jpg   IMG_7109.jpg   FullSizeRender.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 10-01-18, 20:09

Default Document how you do it

Hi Jordan

If you can make it work be sure to document how, as the two hole pumps seem to still be available and one not you might not only have a solution for you problem but a product that you could sell on line.

I have just spent the last 2 hours searching on line for the one hole pumps not a one to be found. While the 2 hole seem relatively common even through NAPA.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 10-01-18, 20:26

Just a thought, Jordan. How much space is there to play with in the original engine and radiator setup, between the back of the rad core and the fan blades? That may limit how thick an adapter plate you can get away with creating.

David
Old 10-01-18, 21:03

I've found a number of one hole rebuild kits online. The MB-C2 has quite a lengthy section on rebuilding the one hole pump. So at least the information is available. See page P2 in MB-C2

The adaptor plate would only be the same thickness as the original backing plate already used on the water pumps. It's only 5/32" thick.

What the thoughts on drill a few more holes in the front of the block?
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 10-01-18, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
What the thoughts on drill a few more holes in the front of the block?
With your reputation for horse shoes, do you know anyone with a "useless" block (for example badly cracked in the rear part or worn beyond rebore/sleeve limits) that would let you have the block to experiment on rather than using your running engine for the trial?
Old 10-01-18, 22:55

Default Use a drill press to drill block

Hi Grant

Yes, I've done it both free hand with a hand drill and with a drill press. Go with the drill press. I use a small in expensive bench drill press same one I use to drill frame holes. There are plenty of bolt holes on the front of the engine to mount the table plate to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill press.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	97032

Did this when I did the water pump on the 235 or 261 and it was much easier than using hand drill. Big difference is that you can get a straight tight hole that taps well for threads.

The big issue on the adapter plate was the holes that have a space between the face of the block and the machined face of the old water pump face. Hard to get the bolts tight without warping the plate casing a leak. I made spacers so that the adapter plate was completely supported.

When I drilled the block on the 235 to convert it to full flow filter I had the block stripped and mounted on engine rotisserie that time use the regular floor standing drill press, just dropped the work table down enough to get under the engine and lowered the head enough to get with in drill range. Drill slow and use oil on the drill and a sharp new drill get a nice hole that way.

Name:	Drill Engine on press.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	97033

When all else fails use nuts.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 4.51.58 PM.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	97034

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 11-01-18, 03:57

Haha horseshoes....till you said that I forgot I had a cracked block sitting in the shop 10' away. I'll try it out on that first.

I just need to find a cheap drill press that I can mount up to the front of the block.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-01-18, 06:07

Default Jordan drilling suggestion.....

Make yourself a copy of the bolt pattern on heavy gauge stock.
Get yourself some tubing appropriate to the size of the drill you intend to use.
Cut the tubes about 4" long.... and weld the tube as vertical to the heavy stock as possible and drill the other hole so it can be bolted to the block.

bolt the plate to the block using the existing holes and used the tubes as a guide...... make sure you do not go too deep ......cast iron drills very easily.

Or buy a lot of JB weld.....................
Canada
Old 11-01-18, 22:41

Ross Prince of Hervey Bay, QLD Australia has stainless steel, laser cut, single hole water pump back plates for sale at $25 each. They are 1/8" thick and require two of the bolt holes to be counter sunk.
The single hole pump was also used on the CCKW 270 engine.

David