MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 11-09-17, 03:55
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default CFS Falconbridge

Funny how I have been able to train my eyes to pick out anything of interest with regard to things military...
Out for a drive this afternoon in the nether regions of the Greater Sudbury area in a place that I have never ventured before. As I drove the back roads I spotted something that interesting enough looked quite military in appearance while driving past at a modest 90kph. I was headed for a retrieval elsewhere but made sure that I would double back and check it out later.
I discovered that yes in deed what I saw was military. Turns out that the pseudo development in progress was in fact former CFS Falconbridge. Had I known about it before or heard of it? No.
Turns out with a bit of Google research that I was able to satisfy my curiousity.
CFS Falconbridge was a radar station as part of the Pine Tree Line during the Cold War, meant to help intercept fighters in case of Soviet invasion. This would go hand in hand with CFB North Bay's role as an interceptor squadron during the time. Also interesting to note that the Bomarc nuclear missile battery still exists just north of town, it's silos eerily emply as a stark reminder of Canada's Cold War past...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 13-09-17, 21:19

Hi Chris

Yes, there were quite a few radar sites along the line. My Father was an RCAF Communication type and he visited or was posted to just about every one. Some were just the domes and a community near-by but many were a complete isolated RCAF Station with everything an Airman and his Family could want. Gym, pool, exchange, bowling, social clubs etc; all off the tracks in Parent, Que for example! Big Pike too.

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/Pinetr.../homepage.html

Funny how Falconbridge isn't mentioned in Google maps yet Lowther is. Even has a Google maps "symbol"!! In the fall/winter you can see the golf ball dome mounts from the TCH.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/CFS...296ef00b6fad34

regards
Darrell