MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 07-05-07, 10:43
Vets Dottir 2nd

Thumbs up Ontario Geneology Old Obits/Death Registrations

Hello You-All,

This is just me browsing for geneological connections again and I came across this link ... and knowing how many of you are into the military history, it's not a hard stretch to think some of you Ontario folks are also into the geneology thing ... most death registrations (and causes of death, place of burial etc. included in many ) are pre-or-around 1900-ish but I noticed some for the 1930's. Obits/Death notices etc, are interesting things to read as they reflect "the times of those times" in so many ways ...

http://www.rootsweb.com/~onvsr/death..._aa-an_new.htm

Someone has done a LOT of work to compile and put these obits online ... hurrah to them

Editted in after: This is actually a whole project I just discovered ... check it out if you're researching Ontario family geneology/history stuff:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~onvsr/

Ma Yappy ... tree climber extraordinaire who likes to share
Old 07-05-07, 21:46

Hiya "Tree-climber" (I don't even want to know!!)

Thanks for that, looks to be a very handy tool!!

regards
Darrell
Old 07-05-07, 22:51
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
Hiya "Tree-climber" (I don't even want to know!!)

Thanks for that, looks to be a very handy tool!!

regards
Darrell
Hmmmm ... I guess that does sound a little unclear and strange, eh? (I was referring to me climbing family trees and sharing found info as in acts of geneological kindnesses to others searching ... but you'd never guess that by my phrasing )

The info in those pages are great for establishing death dates and causes of death for family history etc. I only wish all the Provinces had that resource too. Maybe all in good time though. I wish I was close to a library where I could access the old Winnipeg Free Press microfiched copies. Our local library doesn't have a microfiche reader so ordering the MF's would be useless. Amazing.

I wonder ... are there any MLU-ers who are already researching through the old Wpg Free Press papers who would be into looking for an obituary for my Grandpa JOSEPH (Joe) SMITH who died Sept. 17, 1945? He would have been 62 (born 1883) He died from a house fire and an obit would have been posted within a few days I'm sure. I would love to have a copy of what was written in that obit. I'll be forever indebted to anyone who is able and into doing this for me. In return perhaps I can do some online searching for you???

Karmen
Old 08-05-07, 16:56
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default ancestors

Is Joseph Smith the son of Joseph Smith and Jane Pruden?

There are people researching this line on Ancestry.ca

Bruce
Old 08-05-07, 17:37
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Tree climbing

Ma Yappy!

I thought you were making a reference to mankind's descent from the apes!

Yeah, I know... bow my head and

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 08-05-07, 22:49
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: ancestors

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce MacMillan
Is Joseph Smith the son of Joseph Smith and Jane Pruden?

There are people researching this line on Ancestry.ca

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your heads up and Yes, the elder Joe Smith and Jane Pruden are my Great Grandparents, their son Joe is my Grandpa Joe I'm asking about.

Family line goes back through a number of these Hudson's Bay Company folks come over for the HBC and settled in and around Red River Settlement and areas, and many took Native Indian wives. Joe and Jane only had two kids together, my Grandpa Joe and Lille Jane. He married Granny Joe ... and through her come my French-Cree line and the Viznaugh/Vezina (whatever spelling variations) side

A lot of people (HBC Family descendents) have been searching through the HBC and local Native Indian lines going after "proof" of their Metis blood etc for a few years now, so I've benefited by finding information via some of these trees online plus archives and history sites and such because many family's were kinds "up there" in the HBC early days and therefore documented in records in lotsa places ... crossreferencing archives records and cencus records accessible online is something I'm always doing (or trying to)

I'm after our family lines/tree, not the Metis Status or card, though could get a card easily enough if I wanted one for some reason. Can't believe it says on my birth registration of 1954, under "what's your nationality" section "Scotch halfbreed". Makes me want to run out and buy some bagpipes and a fiddle! Granny Joe - Married to youngest Joe was also a French-Cree "breed" and with her comes the French/Native. Amazing times and terminology, those ... Tis.

Some old cencuses are interesting when they did the "reservations or disorganized territories" and the native communities ... no names were entered for the individuals but under religeon area is written HEATHEN ... just numbers and Heathen to identify the individuals.

Actually, speaking of family trees, I've been finding a little on Geoff's lines and what a helluva an interesting line it is ... no wonder he can be such a Royal Pain in the Arse (just kidding )I'll leave it to him to namedrop some in his own ancestral lines if he's so inclined

Now ... back to Grandpa Joe ... I just really want to find a newspaper obituary if it exists. The closest places where I can access microfiches of the Wpg free Press are Calgary and Vancouver and that's not possible for me. So ... I ask in here in case anyone happens to be doing their own research and would be into checking for an obit just after Sept 17th, 1945 while they are there doing their own thing

Karmen
Old 08-05-07, 23:45
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: ancestors

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
Actually, speaking of family trees, I've been finding a little on Geoff's lines and what a helluva an interesting line it is ... no wonder he can be such a Royal Pain in the Arse (just kidding )I'll leave it to him to namedrop some in his own ancestral lines if he's so inclined .
You're doing such a fine job, there's no reason you shouldn't continue. Methinks the Bishop would admire your spunk...
Old 09-05-07, 00:31
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: Re: Re: ancestors

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
You're doing such a fine job, there's no reason you shouldn't continue. Methinks the Bishop would admire your spunk...
Old 09-05-07, 07:28
Vets Dottir 2nd

Here is something great as well, if any of you have family history connected to working for the Hudson's Bay Company, they are transcribing and uploading what they call "Biographical Sheets" of HBC employees/servants. They've only done up to the letter "M" so surnames starting with letters after M will have to be patient and wait for the transcribing to be done and uploaded. Meanwhile, some files have a lot of information regards postings/jobs and even family. I've found many of my own ancestors already but the ones I most want come after M ... argh

Quote:
Hudson's Bay Company Archives
Biographical Sheets

Biographical sheets have been created by Hudson's Bay Company Archives (HBCA) staff to provide employment information on individuals who were employed by the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) and/or the North West Company.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hb...cal/index.html
By the way, I've read online that most HBC records from England were given/sent to HBC here in Canada (Manitoba) but England still holds a lot of HBC records.

I certainly know that even just for Manitoba that so many of Manitoba's soldiers are descended from these HBC families ... many of their dad's, grandpas, uncles, and "Great's" probably fought in both the big wars and others. I wonder how many WW2 Vets fought both WW1 and WW2 ...

If you're researching a soldier connected to these families, there is a lot of history online for the finding/reading

And for today, as Jon mentioned (Thank You Jon!!!) in a new post ... this is the anniversary of VE Day

Karmen