MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 21-07-13, 19:25
metal urgest

Default Pioneer tool belts

Can anyone confirm what material was used for holding the pioneer tools down on the back of the Sexton. The parts book lists "belt, web, ##ins.".
I think Shermans used leather, would it stand to reason that the Sexton also used leather?

Perry
Old 21-07-13, 22:19

Hi Perry.

If the Parts Book uses the word 'web' in its description of these belts, the odds are extremely high they were canvas as per Canadian Infantry webbing of the day. Canvas webbing was used on the front of the 15-cwt 2K1 Wireless box to hold the pioneer tools in place. There was a small metal plate clamped it to the metal siding of the box with two small screws. Not sure if the Sexton would have fastened them in place like that as well, or utilized footman loops.

Hope this helps,

David
Old 31-07-13, 22:52
metal urgest

Hi David,
Sexton used footman loops that the straps pased through. Any idea where I can find the marerial used for webbing? The modern stuff is quite a bit lighter.

Perry
Old 31-07-13, 23:56

Default Take a look at military belt stock

Hi Perry

Have you looked at the old style military uniform belt stock? It was a better match to the original equipment straps on my HUP.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 01-08-13, 01:09
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Kitson View Post
Hi David,
Sexton used footman loops that the straps pased through. Any idea where I can find the marerial used for webbing? The modern stuff is quite a bit lighter.

Perry
Try the Spa-nur online catalogue. That was where we ordered webbing from when I was in the military. They should still have the old cotton stuff vs the modern nylon stuff that doesn't grip the buckles.
Old 01-08-13, 01:27

Perry.

As per Rob, I would frequent military flea markets for webbing items in your area as quite a few WW2 Cdn items used the same size webbing and hardware. Also do check out Spae-naur.

It's a long shot, but might also try talking with Beachwood Canvas in the USA. My guess is they would have the correct cotton webbing in the proper weight, but they might not carry it in the required 'khaki' colour you would need.

Also, if you have a sample, take it in to any local tent and awning makers in your area. You never know what they might still have gathering dust in a store room.

Cheers for now,

David
Old 01-08-13, 13:22

Default Vehicle Web Straps

For British/Canadian manufactured vehicles, using this type of web strap would be appropriate to attach the various external fittings such as tools. It is the same type of woven cotton (webbing) that was used on 1937 Pattern Web Equipment.

One of the easiest and most common Second War period straps that can be still found in quantity and are not overly expensive are the 1937 Pattern Web Supporting Straps.

It goes without saying that Canadian manufactured straps would have been found on Canadian manufactured vehicles and British straps on British vehicles. As well, new vehicles would have been supplied with un-Blancoed straps like these which I have photographed. Of course once a vehicle has been repainted or camouflaged, any web straps would most likely be the same colour as the vehicle.

US manufactured vehicles would have been supplied with US manufactured straps which are very different from the web straps I have illustrated here.
Old 01-08-13, 16:03
Bluebell

Early on there was common use of leather straps. There were also quite a few rubber straps on carriers. Eventually (I believe) all moving to the webbing. Maybe by the time Canada was producing carriers the leather and rubber were saved for other things.
From Britains perspective there were shortages of everything. They were in a dire situation.
I have 3 years of ACI's at home. 1941,1942, and 1943. Here from memory is an example of one of the orders: (It might seem a bit silly now)
One order outlined the rubber shortage.
The production of pencils with rubbers was cut back with only a few areas of service allowed them(with rubbers). The rubbers(erazers) were removed from worn out pencils, and along with broken rubber bands, were returned for recycling.
(also, bench mounted pencil sharpeners were withdrawn because they chewed through the pencils too fast)
BTW.Toilet paper was also rationed, with allowances of so many squares per person per month each person.
Components such as straps would have been made from what was available, the availability of which, depended on which ships made it through.
I have a number of NOS carrier straps, in leather, rubber, and canvas web.
Perry, I think the U.S used a lot of leather early on, but leather exposed to the elements suffers if not looked after. How does the date of your parts book line up with the date of your sexton?. It could easily have been leather early on, and changed over to canvas. I assume Shermans predated the sextons.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 01-08-13, 19:27
Driver Advance!

Most of the manuals for my vehicles have said webbing/brace/bracket (made/sourced locally). These are British and Canadian Straps, different length ones sourced via E*** and other sites, just regular webbing (braces etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0538.jpg   IMG_4651.jpg   IMG_0542.jpg   IMG00264-20120125-1450.jpg  
43 Humber AC MK IV F133744 "Vandal" tri-owner
43 A27L Centaur MK III T185481

Last edited by lssah2025; 01-08-13 at 19:34.
Old 01-08-13, 21:08

Default Straps

Yup, that is exactly what I would use. I see that you have a US Bolo Knife filling in for a Machete.
Old 01-08-13, 22:37
Driver Advance!

Actually it is a repro WW1 US Bolo filling in for a WW2 smatchet. They are very similar minus the scabbard and a little on the blade. It doesn't actually go in that position it goes on the roof by the WS 19 set but I did not put the straps there yet. The standard wirecutters go there. Pic of a bolo and smatchet. Original smatchets go for around $1000 and the bolo is a repro around $100.

First is bolo, second is smatchet.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Attached Images

43 Humber AC MK IV F133744 "Vandal" tri-owner
43 A27L Centaur MK III T185481

Last edited by lssah2025; 01-08-13 at 23:54.
Old 04-08-13, 19:50
metal urgest

Thanks gent's. After going through some of the removed fittings, I found the remnants of web straps for the radio cover and rammer holder. I will pick up some of the 37 pattern straps and modify the length to suit the different straps.

Perry
Old 05-08-13, 17:10

Default Machette

Here is an image of a regular issue British Machette that was a standard item on most Commonwealth vehicles from WWII until the 1970s. They used to be fairly easy to find in the UK, I am not sure how much WWII marked ones sell for now.

Old 05-08-13, 17:15

Default Wire Cutters

Here is an image of the Wire Cutters that were also issued with most Commonwealth vehicles from WWII into the 1980s.