MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 18-08-10, 09:32
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Converting ww2 mb wills jeep from 6 volt to 12 volt

hHi All

I am changing my 1942 MB Willys Jeep from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system. After a quick inspection I believe I can change to an Alternator with regulator built in, doing away with the large 6 volt mounted regulator on the mud guard, I will have to change the coil and globes and front sealed beams.

I will have to make some modification when fitting an Alternator so the pullys for the fan belt all line up. I am wondering if anyone out there has done a convertion and maybe give me a few hints and what I actually need to do. I have been told that going 12 volts will make it easier to start and keep the battery charged.

Any advise or pictures of convertions will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 18-08-10, 09:54
John Forsey

Default 6v to 12v

no need to change dynamo, I have converted all my jeeps to 12v. and as long as your dynamo is putting out about 13.5 volts it will work o.k. all you need is a regulator from a morris 1000 or similar. a true 12volt coil and change the bulbs. My jeeps have been run like this for 30 odd years. john
Old 18-08-10, 11:01
Tony VAN RHODA

John

Thank you for the advice, makes things easier when someone has already done the conversion and allis working OK.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 18-08-10, 11:16
John W.

This may help too. Circuit for the fuel gauge. Apologies for the grainy appearance but the schematic should be OK to read.
Cheers
John W.
Attached Images

Old 18-08-10, 12:31
Bluebell

Default 6 volt

There is some thing to do with earthing. If it is sorted out you will fix the hard starting thing . I suggest you go to the G503 site, and do some research in the technical section.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 19-08-10, 03:05
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm29c View Post
This may help too. Circuit for the fuel gauge. Apologies for the grainy appearance but the schematic should be OK to read.
Cheers
John W.
John

Thank you for the fuel guage information. I need all the help I can get.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 19-08-10, 03:07
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
There is some thing to do with earthing. If it is sorted out you will fix the hard starting thing . I suggest you go to the G503 site, and do some research in the technical section.
Lynn

Thanks for that I had a qick look at the site and as a novice, this site will be of great help.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 19-08-10, 06:42

Default 12 volt conversion

Hi Little Jo,
I bought a Ford GPW jeep last fall that had already been converted to 12 volts with an alternator fitted.The jeep sure starts nice but have not driven it much yet.One positive thing going to 12 volts is the fact that the headlights in 6 volt are drying up from what I have been told but the 12 volt ones are still available and reasonably priced.Here are some pictures of what I have in my jeep if it helps in any way;

I am glad you brought up this subject as I have to figure out myself what to do with the fuel guage to make it work on 12 volt system and anything else that has to be converted.
Regards,Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 19-08-10, 10:26
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk derin View Post
Hi Little Jo,
I bought a Ford GPW jeep last fall that had already been converted to 12 volts with an alternator fitted.The jeep sure starts nice but have not driven it much yet.One positive thing going to 12 volts is the fact that the headlights in 6 volt are drying up from what I have been told but the 12 volt ones are still available and reasonably priced.Here are some pictures of what I have in my jeep if it helps in any way;

I am glad you brought up this subject as I have to figure out myself what to do with the fuel guage to make it work on 12 volt system and anything else that has to be converted.
Regards,Derk.
Derk

Thank you for the update info and the pictures. I was wondering what type of alternator you have and if you had any modification made to install it in place of the large old 6 voly generator, The photo clearly shows how the alternator lines up with the water pump pulley, that was one thing I was wondering, how to line it all up, I also noted the fan belt looks as if it is not as wide as the original.

I supected starting would be better and I also think I will get better lighting for night driving. Could you advise the type/brand of alternator you have and also what type/brand 12 volt coil you have on your vehicle.

Thanks mate

Little Jo
Old 19-08-10, 11:21
Bluebell

Default Jo and Dirk

I think you can buy H4 Halogen 6 volt bulbs and headlights that will fit in your shells.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 20-08-10, 09:58
Tony VAN RHODA

Lynn

Thanks mate, all this information is very much appreciated and gives me confidence to proceed.

Cheers Mate

Little Jo
Old 20-08-10, 17:28

Default 12 volt system

Hi Little Jo,
I will be able to take some pictures for you on the weekend when I get a chance to work on the jeep and post them for you.
Derk.
Old 21-08-10, 02:49
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk derin View Post
Hi Little Jo,
I will be able to take some pictures for you on the weekend when I get a chance to work on the jeep and post them for you.
Derk.
Derk

That would be great and that will help making the conversion to 12 volts easier for me. All the guys with Jeeps I have spoken to here are still on the 6volt system and some have shown an interested in what I am doing.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 21-08-10, 04:20
carrier mech

I have had several jeeps which were converted with AC Delco (GM/Chevy) alternators. The regulator is internal, so there are only two wires to hook up, one to the battery and one to the ignition. If the pulley does not line up with the original jeep pulleys, the lower mount on the alternator can be cut back.
Old 21-08-10, 10:00
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I have had several jeeps which were converted with AC Delco (GM/Chevy) alternators. The regulator is internal, so there are only two wires to hook up, one to the battery and one to the ignition. If the pulley does not line up with the original jeep pulleys, the lower mount on the alternator can be cut back.
Rob

Thank you for the information, that certainly gives me something to start looking at, much appreciated.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 22-08-10, 03:28
John W.

Tony,
If you are going to convert to 12V and fit an alternator, can I suggest that you also fit an electronic distributor;
http://www.walcks4wd.com/Product/Dis...Electroni/2667
Below are grainy photos showing a RHD Jeep that I rebuilt for a customer years ago and if you look carefully you can see the alternator. I machined a smaller diameter 'B' section pulley to fit to this alternator to slightly increase the speed/charging rate to compensate for shorter drive time for this jeep. I also fitted a red coloured charge indicator light in the dashboard.
Happy deliberations.
Cheers
John Wilson
Attached Thumbnails
jeep4.jpg   jeep8.jpg  
Old 22-08-10, 09:25
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm29c View Post
Tony,
If you are going to convert to 12V and fit an alternator, can I suggest that you also fit an electronic distributor;
http://www.walcks4wd.com/Product/Dis...Electroni/2667
Below are grainy photos showing a RHD Jeep that I rebuilt for a customer years ago and if you look carefully you can see the alternator. I machined a smaller diameter 'B' section pulley to fit to this alternator to slightly increase the speed/charging rate to compensate for shorter drive time for this jeep. I also fitted a red coloured charge indicator light in the dashboard.
Happy deliberations.
Cheers
John Wilson
John

Thank you for the information, I am happy so many have found time to assist me. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Little jo
Old 31-08-10, 07:13

Default 12 volt jeep system

Hi Little Jo,
Sorry for the slow response,had a few projects on the go and haven't been at the jeep yet.I managed to take pictures of the 12 volt system that was in my jeep.The lower alternator bracket was made up to bolt onto the original generator lower bracket and the upper bracket is just a metal link to the block.The alternator is an Autolite but could not find any more markings on it.There is also a seperate regulator on the fender but my Dad looked at it and figures it shouldn't be needed as it should already have one in the alternator but says to leave it there if it works.Maybe the alternators built in regulator didn't work and they added one on? Then everything goes to the solenoid.The coil is just mounted beside the distributor.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can help with,let me know.Good luck with the project.
Derk.
Old 01-09-10, 02:34
Tony VAN RHODA

Derk

Thanks a milliom mate, that was a lot more than I had hoped for and as they say, a pictures is worth a 1,000 words. This is going to help me heaps. Thank you again for taking the trouble to assist me. I have attached a photo as to where I am at with my restoration and you will note I am currently experimenting with the colour to paint the Jeep into WW2 Western Desert colours. This is the closest I found, though I know the LRDG used a variety of colours in the desert.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01655.jpg  
Old 01-09-10, 04:25
John Dallimore

Litle Jo-If you are wanting to keep it looking original, you can get your 6 volt generator rebuilt to 12 volt and then get a regulator from an M29 weasel or other 12 volt WW2 vehicle. It'll look original, but be 12 volts.

I've done a couple of the 12volt alternator conversions and they work fine. If you are getting one built for yourself, try to get it made so it "kicks in" at as low an rpm as you can. Some of the ones I've done you have to really rev the engine to make the alternator start charging.

John
Old 01-09-10, 06:46
Tony VAN RHODA

John

Thanks for the information, Boy I am impressed with the assistance there is out there. The people using MLU have been more than helpful. I will have a look at the idea, though I am not sure if my old 6 volt generator is still working, it looks very sad and rusty, I will have it checked out at the auto electrician.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 01-09-10, 09:25
Bluebell

Default Conversion

With what John has just said, it is probably possible to run the original genny to produce 12 volts, by just swapping the 6 volt regulator for a 12 volt one from a dodge 12 volt. Then everything looks original. The genny should be fine at 12 volt. When you run one up without the regulator, they'll put out upwards of 50 volts ( for a short time)

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 02-09-10, 02:56
Tony VAN RHODA

lynn

Thank you, great to see there is so much info out there. It is always good hear from someone who had done it before, this makes it easier to put into practice.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 24-09-10, 11:17
MLU Administrator

This might help also: http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Tech/SixVolt.html
Old 26-09-10, 10:41
Tony VAN RHODA

Hanno

Thank you for the great site on 6 volt to 12 volt conversion. I have printed it off for reference when I start putting the MB Jeep back together again. The restoration is coming along fine and I appear to be on schedule as I would like to drive it to Corowa in March 2010.

I have been impressed with the great advice I have been receiving from MLU members. I have enclosed a Photo of when Saleman Bob and I collected the Jeep and a current photo of where I am up to with the restoration as of today.

I am waiting for further parts to continue with the project. My aim is to paint the vehicle in LRDG colours.

Just for interest, my family immmigrated to Australia from Hilligom Holland in 1950 and I have visited Holland many times over the years.

Thanks again for the information.

Cheers

Little Jo
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01545.jpg   DSC01663.jpg  
Old 26-09-10, 20:10
John Forsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20387774 View Post
Litle Jo-If you are wanting to keep it looking original, you can get your 6 volt generator rebuilt to 12 volt and then get a regulator from an M29 weasel or other 12 volt WW2 vehicle. It'll look original, but be 12 volts.

I've done a couple of the 12volt alternator conversions and they work fine. If you are getting one built for yourself, try to get it made so it "kicks in" at as low an rpm as you can. Some of the ones I've done you have to really rev the engine to make the alternator start charging.

John
you do not need to alter the dynamo from 6v to `121 v.I never have and as long as your dynamo is putting out about 13 v and you couple it up to a 12v regulator it will look original as you can hide the regulator inside an original jeep one. Forget all about alternators as they are totally unnecessary and look bloody ugly when you open the bonnet and see a modern lump in a 70 year old Jeep.Trust me , my jeeps have been on this system for 30 odd years with no problems. Keep your jeep as near to original as you can. Good luck, John.
Old 26-09-10, 20:53
Bluebell

Default Mods

I agree with John 100%. Its value stays there when its std.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 27-09-10, 02:12
Tony VAN RHODA

Hi John and Lynn

I will go with old 6 volt Generator as I believe it puts out about 13.5 volts, I will then update to a 12 volt regulator and Distributor. You guys have given me the confidence to stay as original as possible. Thanks heaps for the updates.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 27-09-10, 13:46
John Forsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
Hi John and Lynn

I will go with old 6 volt Generator as I believe it puts out about 13.5 volts, I will then update to a 12 volt regulator and Distributor. You guys have given me the confidence to stay as original as possible. Thanks heaps for the updates.

Cheers

Little Jo
The original distributor will be fine, you must get a "True" 12v coil. Make sure that it is 12"v, nothing else will be any good. All bulbs have to be replaiced. I cut the ends off of the red ruby rear lights and it makes it a lot easier to replace bulbs. John.
Old 27-09-10, 16:46

Default Points gap etc

Do you know if you have to change the points (condensor) or adjust the point gap? Plug gap? Timing?