MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 21-08-17, 00:24

Default t16 Information

I am back to working on my t16 from some medical delays, I am in Arkansas in the United States so don't get a lot of these to look at around here. Here is what I got.
Ford Serial #FS 6240 (on gunner front tow hook)
Stamped in nose on driver side TA-GAU-58071 also number 45 stamped. GAU-58071 stamped on Swedish plate with 1944 year stamping?
Would like some help on the following;
1--Hull number ?????????? this is one thing I would like to try to figure out. The upper exterior hull was sand blasted at some time before it was painted with yellow primer and grey paint.
2--Can I identify weather it was British or Canadian, because I want to take her back to her war time configuration instead of the Swedish or personal configuration, you know slap a 50 Cal. on it and go. Have just about all the Swedish add-ons taken off and holes re-drilled that I am sure about and am trying to put back on the items they cut off. Found several holes that were welded up down the gunner side upper track armor. One Group of 2 holes 3" apart next to gunner seat going forward to rear, five groups of 2 in rear compartment but all drilled side to side and all appear to have been countersunk. Does this give me some indication of it's past?
3--It had no rear storage box on driver side, it had remains of the vertical traps and no mounting nuts for the box.
4--It had all the studs cut off that the radio cover hook on, guessing this was a Swedish take off? Rear MG tripod mounts cut off, again Swedish doing?
5--Her tow bar had quit the jar to knock her mounting welds loose on one side. Not sure if from towing something or just being towed.
Working off of pictures only to put the correct fuel tanks, battery carrier, radiator overflow tank and rear floor boxes, back on.

Any help would be appreciated or even any info on books or other info that might help me get her going again. Engine is almost done and would like to get her painted, but I want to make sure I do her justice in her new old life.

Ron McAfee
Harrison, Arkansas USA
Old 21-08-17, 01:03
T-16, C15A

Default T-16 project.

Ron,

It sounds like you are well on your way to a good restoration.

My ex-swiss T-16 was very similar - with the Swiss lopping off the tripod mounts and cutting down the armour plate over the engine. Their gigantic fuel tank took over much of the space in the rear of the crew compartment also.

I was lucky to just flip the rear armour plate (over the differential) and see the barely disturbed remains of the factory stowage brackets.

Do you still have your turn signals from Switzerland? Those trafficators replaced 2 wading screen attachment points on my old machine.

Do you have any pictures of your machine?

There is a good photo shoot of a restoration on this site - but the folks at the picture hosting site are not co-operating for me.
Try http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9136

Stewart
Woodstock, Ontario
Canada
Old 21-08-17, 04:14

Stewart,
Sounds like yours was just like mine. The rear Pioneer Tool plate was just like yours, turn it around and you have all the spots still there less attachments. Guess that was the easiest way they figured out to change it, just turn it around. Turn signals were the first to go along with the antenna mount in front of the gunner. I spent a lot of time studying the pictures from the link you had listed, and actually have it saved in my files, but about a month ago all the pictures were gone, looks like Photo Bucket wants money to keep them. I will get some good pictures to post soon.
Did you find your vehicle number on the side under the paint or was it gone like mine was?

Ron McAfee
Old 21-08-17, 15:17
T-16, C15A

Default All gone.

Ron,

Sadly, all of the ID was long gone when I came to own that machine.

The Swiss had taken good care of it, and I enjoyed, as I know that you will with yours.

I got some tin parts repro from Rod Shaver in AZ, but that was a while ago. I think that he still has a few bits left.

Stewart