MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-14, 01:41

Default Chev 216 oil filter gasket

What is everyone doing to replace that cork gasket on the (earlier) 216 oil filter housing? It doesn't come with the filter's I've bought and definitely leaks. Apart from buying a sheet of nitrile rubber and making one, is there a good option? Like a currently available part from something else? Can you buy 'flat' O-rings? Or has someone made an O-ring work?
Old 11-03-14, 15:02

Default Which # filters are you buying?

Hi Harry

Couple of years ago the company that makes many of this type of filter stopped putting the two different gaskets in the cartons, somebodies idea of cost savings. Well the problem was pointed out to someone higher in the company and they started putting both in the package again. But there are a whole lot of the filters out there in the system with only one gasket.

I will track down which company and which numbers and get back to you. I'll also look to see if I have any extra new one to get you started. My local NAPA guy was actually able to get me the newer filter with two different gaskets.

The earlier CMP filter assembly takes a NAPA 1001 and the later larger filter is 1503.

I'll be back with more information.

Back with more information OK just checked the NAPA computer system at my local dealer, they are showing that NAPA 1001 and 1503 filters both should come with both gaskets, NAPA filters are made by Wix
checked the Wix web site and it shows 1001 with two gaskets http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51001 as does the http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51503. Wix home page is http://www.wixfilters.com/ useful site as it has all the measurements for the filter as well.

Word of caution on ordering the Wix # 51001 filter the number is used both for cartridge type and spin on type. So when ordering be sure they know which type.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 11-03-14 at 18:11. Reason: Added information
Old 12-03-14, 04:40

Default Mil Jr Filters

I recently bought some filters for my M38A1 . They were Wix 51006 and had two gaskets. One fit perfect.

Bob
Old 14-03-14, 06:33

Thanks Phil, that's a good start. Can't get Napa or Wicks stuff here but I should be able to find a cross over with someone like Baldwin or Fleetguard. Would love a spare seal if you had one... Let me know postage cost (in the $5 I guess)